Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Law Allows Teenagers to Pre-register to Vote, Are Your Children Interested in Politics?

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 4:00 AM
  • 22 Replies

In January of 2010, a law allowing 16-year-olds in North Carolina to pre-register to vote took effect after being passed with bi-partisan support. Our state was one of six that adopted the bill, but is the only state that took it one step further, requiring election officials to hold drives in high schools during the month of September, a month Governor Bev Perdue has proclaimed Citizens Awareness Month. 

Teenagers can register to vote at the Department of Motor Vehicles when they receive their license and many have chosen to participate. Wondering what political party future voters are aligning themselves with?

An analysis by Democracy N.C. reveals that 30 percent identify themselves as Republicans, 30 percent register as Democrats, and 1 percent say they are Libertarians. The remaining 39 percent choose to remain unaffiliated. 

These young voters “are more independent and more inclined to evaluate candidates without relying on party labels,” Bob Hall of Democracy N.C. said. 

As a result of the law, more than 60,000 teenagers are registered and eligible to vote in the upcoming presidential election, a number Hall says has the potential to decide the outcome of a race. 

Are your children interested in the politics? Do you allow them to form their own opinions about their vote or do you impress your political views upon them? 

Photo credit: iStock

by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 4:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jomami
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 4:13 PM

My kids are too young to be interested in politicsm but, I do bring them with me to the voting booth and let them help with the levers!  They love that!

JustThe10ofUs
by Rose on Sep. 18, 2012 at 4:16 PM
Yes! My older children are very interested in politics. My 17 yr old loves Hannity, Rush, and Beck....he listens to the constantly. He's so funny.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 7:06 PM

My kids are interested in politics (except for my almost 10 year old) and I encourage them to research the candidates and see which ones they think would be best for their futures. 

Rain2Rinse
by Representative on Sep. 18, 2012 at 7:29 PM
Dd is interested in politics. She is only 5, so her knowledge is very limited. Still, she knows who is running, when to vote, the different parties, how long a term is, a few of the most important cause Romany and Obama have taken up. She also tells me who she would vote for, as why, if she could.

What this has really opened my eyes to, is if we are interested, so is she! I am so glad she always sees us reading, writing, paying bills, picking out the healthy foods. She sees us stumble, sure. But she also sees us trying to do the right thing, even when it is a difficult decision.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom_to_travis
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 12:14 PM

I think this is great.  Yes, my 13 year old son is interested in and follows politics.  He watches and reads the news and he definitely has strong opinions.

LancesMom
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Mine wasn't until he was older!

midgeend
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Wow!  That's pretty awesome that teenagers can pre-register to vote.  The more that vote, the better! 

mom2jessnky
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 3:21 PM

My kids are a smidge on the young side for politics, but I do think this is an interesting idea.

arpazia
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 4:24 PM
My son is way to young to vote!
I think the idea is pretty good, as midgeend said the more that vote the better!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 9:30 PM

My son-6 years old- is interested in presidents, election process, etc.  I teach History....it's in his blood.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)