Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fort Bragg Pledges Support for Mental Health of Soldiers: Are You a Military Family?

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 8:00 AM
  • 8 Replies

If you live in North Carolina, you are very likely in some way connected to the military. Many of us are married to soldiers or grew up as Army brats and, if not, the odds are high that there is at least one military family in your social circle. Living in a state with an Army base as large as Fort Bragg guarantees that the armed services play a role in your life in some way. 

My mother was a soldier in the Army stationed at Fort Bragg for a large part of her career which is how I came to live in this state and call it home. The military and our troops are important to me and that is why I was glad that Fort Bragg officials announced plans to provide more support for soldiers returning from the middle east. 

In particular, a focus will be placed on training soldiers to identify colleagues who may be at risk for committing suicide, a tragedy of increasing frequency of late. Chaplains are also embedded in each unit to assist in counseling troops suffering from depression or anxiety. Many soldiers are afraid to ask for help for fear it could affect their long-term career with the military. 

It's good to see Fort Bragg finally taking an interest in the mental health of our soldiers. 

Are you part of a military family? Has your husband or family member served time overseas? Do you feel that they have been offered support on their return?

Photo credit: istock photo

by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
hope_love_dream
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 3:16 PM

yay

loving_my2boys
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 11:56 AM
Thats awesome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom_to_travis
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 2:30 PM

I am not involved in the military, but I have several dear friends who are.  I've seen how difficult returning from a deployment can be on the whole family, and I 100% believe that these soldiers need and deserve more support.

DNewman
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 8:37 PM

I'm not, but have family who are....

mom2jessnky
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 6:50 AM

This is great!

4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 8:59 AM

I'm not a military family but I know many.  I'm glad they are committing to this. 

denise3680
by Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I am a military family and I am very happy that this is not getting brushed under the rug any more.  This should have been in place years and years ago, too many of our service men and wome are coming back broken, not because of physical injuries but becasue of the mental stress of being in a war.  This is just the beginning hopefully they do more.  This is a community issue also, the buck shouldnot only stop with the military and family help, everyone should step in and demand that these heros get the proper help and assistance needed to live a normal, healthy and productive life here instead of worrying about getting them right back into another war.

arpazia
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 1:06 PM
I'm not in the military, but it seems everyone from my home town is. It can be so hard coming back home.
Hard time finding a job or just holding down the job. Training for suicide will be a tremendous thing. So many lives are lost because of this:(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)