Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

North Carolina Moms North Carolina Moms

First Presidential Debate Will Take Place Tonight: Will You Watch?

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:00 PM
  • 7 Replies

Are you planning on watching the presidential debate? It's the first of three 90-minute long debates and it begins at 9 P.M. tonight. President Obama will face off with opponent Mitt Romney in an attempt to win over voters in the remaining five weeks before the election. 

In North Carolina, the race is tight. A recent poll by WRAL shows that President Obama has a 2-point lead over Romney which is well within the margin of error for the poll. These debates could be key in determining which way the Tar Heel state leans. 

"We've known since 2008 that North Carolina was going to be very close," said David McLennan, a political science professor at William Peace University in Raleigh. "It's really going to be an election about turnout. Can the president get his base voters out? Can Romney get his voters out?"

Before the candidates take to the podium, there is another pair of politicians you should tune into if you are a North Carolina voter. There is also a gubernatorial debate tonight. Republican Pat McCrory currently holds a 12-point lead over his opponent Democrat Lt. Governor Walter Dalton, according to a recent poll. Out of 573 potential voters surveyed, 51 percent said that if the election were held today they would vote for McCrory; 39 percent would vote for Dalton. The poll has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.2 percentage points. The gubernatorial debate begins two hours before the presidential debate at 7 P.M and will be broadcast from the UNC-TV studio.

Will you watch tonight's debate? What topics do you hope the candidates discuss? How large of a role will the debates play in your decision at the polls?

Photo credit: wikipedia

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mom_to_travis
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:05 PM

I'll be watching!  The debates are not going to change my vote, but I'm very interested to hear what they both have to say.  It will be interesting to see if they can get any specifics out of romney.  I'm also looking forward to hearing those "zingers" I heard he has been practicing.  ;-)

m0mmy0ftw02012
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Nope! It wouldnt change my vote either. 

jomami
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:53 PM

I'll be watching!  I can't wait to see how Romney puts his foot in his mouth this time!

GO OBAMA!!

kellynh
by Kelly on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:05 PM
Watching now!! Go Romney!!
NatalieMH
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:23 PM
Did not watch...but will read/watch the recaps.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arpazia
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:53 AM
I watched and it was a pretty good debate. Obama did wonderful!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LancesMom
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:12 AM

I watched bits, but dvr'd it so I could see it all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)