Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

North Carolina Moms North Carolina Moms

Student suspended after dying hair pink for breast cancer awareness

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:32 AM
  • 13 Replies

What do you think? Should an exception have been made?

Denise and Rheanne Sargent.  (Source: WYFF)
BELTON, SC (WYFF) -
An Upstate mother says her daughter was punished at school because of the color of her hair.

Denise Sargent says she and her daughter, Rheanne, dyed parts of their hair pink to support National Breast Cancer Awareness Month and to honor those who have fought the disease.

"The fact that I'd be representing my mother and my grandmother, my other grandmother and whoever else my mom knows who had it," Rheanne said.

But, according to Sargent, that didn't go over well with Belton Middle School.

The daughter, Rheanne, says the assistant principal told her she could go home or go to ISS because she was breaking the rules.

Belton Middle School's dress code policy does say non-human hair color will not be permitted.

"I do believe if the child wants to be an individual and show that they're supporting something that's killing thousands of women, I believe, yeah, they should make an exception. They should change the rule," Denise Sargent said.

Rheanne said she tried calling her mom, but didn't get in touch with her, so she spent the day in in-school suspension.

The school and the district have not returned calls on the matter.

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JustThe10ofUs
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:58 AM

I don't believe the school should have any say over a child's hair...period.  

We had so many issues with our local elementary school overstepping.  They even violated a court order. 

Join us in the  North Carolina Moms group!

SimplyEnchanted
by Kristin on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:17 AM

If it is in the school policy then they have every right to suspend her. No matter the cause.  Having said that, I think it's a very silly rule. I can understand rules about dress code but hair color? silly...

kellynh
by Kelly on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:17 AM
It's two fold situation... One, that rule should have been fought over before this ever became an issue, Two, since it is a rule... It has to be followed.
m0mmy0ftw02012
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:20 AM

I agree with her!......The schools now are way overstepping the bounds!

Quoting JustThe10ofUs:

I don't believe the school should have any say over a child's hair...period.  

We had so many issues with our local elementary school overstepping.  They even violated a court order. 

in love  In love with an amazing man! I have two girls,     girl on a swing      girl on a swing.

SpiritedWitch
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Unfortunately, since the parents didn't fight the rule when it was made, she broke the rule and has to suffer the consequences. It's a dumbass rule and needs to be challenged. I would suggest, if she were my daughter, that she lead a revolution against the rule. Rally all the students to color their hair (temp/spray on) to protest such an asinine rule. 

JustThe10ofUs
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JustThe10ofUs
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this

No cause....they just like pink hair. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JustThe10ofUs
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Schools need to focus on education and leave the parenting to the parents.  What does having pink hair have anything to do with this childs learning?  This kind of crap makes kids hate school. It really bugs me.

Join us in the  North Carolina Moms group!

mamivon2
by Sandra on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Its her hair.. I dont think the school should worry about some kids hair.. sorry

G2Mama
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:12 AM

That is a very dumb rule!  They need to focus less on hair color and more on things like bullying and actual learning.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN