Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

North Carolina Moms North Carolina Moms

NC Mother Says Sorority Hazing Led to Daughter's Death: Would You Let Your Child Join a Sorority?

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:00 PM
  • 14 Replies

Raleigh resident Bernadette Carter, mother to an East Carolina University student who died in a car crash on Nov. 10, 2010, has recently filed a suit alleging that the Delta Sigma Theta sorority is responsible for her daughter's death. 

According to the News and Observer, Carter has accused the sorority's national office, its ECU chapter and its members of hazing the 2010 pledge class including depriving them of sleep -- the factor which Carter believes played the largest role in the car crash that took her daughter's life. 

Victoria T'nya-Ann Carter was one of two students killed when driver and fellow pledge Kamil Arrington fell asleep behind the wheel of her Toyota Yaris. Delta members had selected Arrington as a designated driver who would transport the pledges to practices, early morning hair appointments and other engagements, according to Carter’s lawsuit that was amended in Nash County on Monday.

According to an earlier suit in which Arrington plead guilty to two counts of misdemeanor death by motor vehicle, Arrington was suffering from "excessive and overwhelming fatigue, exhaustion and sleep deprivation" when she fell asleep while driving.

Along with seeking restitution for their daughter's tragic death, the Carter family is also on a mission to put a stop to the Greek life tradition of hazing its new members. The Carter family's suit lists a few of the demeaning activities Delta pledges were forced to take part in including standing on one leg while holding bricks over their heads, rubbing hot sauce on their lips, eating a raw onion, and while being forced to live in a two-bedroom, two-bathroom apartment with 17 other women. 

The night before the accident, Carter and others spent the night perfecting a "probate death march" and were not permitted to sleep before getting in the car for a 6:30 AM hair appointment scheduled by Delta sisters. 

These allegations are not the first made against NC sororities and fraternities as well as greek organizations across the nation. Would you allow your child to join a fraternity or sorority? Have you spoken with them about the dangers of hazing? 

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JennMcBride
by Jenn on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this
By the time kids are that age I'm not sure how much control the parents have about them joining. I've not talked to my kids about hazing cause they are to young.
I feel for this family though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jlrachal1
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I joined a sorority in college and we had a ZERO hazing policy on campus. One of the sororities that was rumored, not proven, to have hazed almost lost their charter. I know for a fact that hazing is more prone to happen in frats. If my daughter or son want to go greek, I won't stop them, but I will make sure they know that hazing isn't acceptable at all!

SimplyEnchanted
by Kristin on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:23 PM

this

Quoting JennMcBride:

By the time kids are that age I'm not sure how much control the parents have about them joining. I've not talked to my kids about hazing cause they are to young.
I feel for this family though.

Mama to five beautiful girls-
Piper(11), Paris(9), Prue(7), Priya(4)&Kahlan(2) and two angel babies that were too precious for earth, Angel('09) and Evenstar('12)

lilmoosesmom
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:34 AM

You can't really "let me" join or not at that age. If they are old enough to go away to college, then they are old enough to make their own choices...

Rain2Rinse
by Representative on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:17 PM
I personally find it ridiculous. They are adults. They made a decision to pledge, and they made the decision to submit to hazing.

The death of their daughter is very unfortunate, tragic even. But let's not pretend that these were women forced to accept hazing practices.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:06 PM

I agree with this.  And even if they were forced to stay up all night, they weren't forced to drive to the hair appt with no sleep.  It's very sad and I feel for the family but I feel like in this case it's reaching to blame the deaths on hazing.

Quoting Rain2Rinse:

I personally find it ridiculous. They are adults. They made a decision to pledge, and they made the decision to submit to hazing.

The death of their daughter is very unfortunate, tragic even. But let's not pretend that these were women forced to accept hazing practices.

NatalieMH
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:12 PM
This

Quoting lilmoosesmom:

You can't really "let me" join or not at that age. If they are old enough to go away to college, then they are old enough to make their own choices...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SpiritedWitch
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:50 AM

They are adults and parents have no say as to whether or not the kids join a sorority or fraternity. 

Mom2Just1
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:56 PM

I will not control my adult children.  I hope my boys do not join a fraternity though.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

oldfashionSAHM
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:58 PM
You can not control what a adult does. Don't matter if they are your kids or not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)