Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

North Carolina Moms North Carolina Moms

Mom arrested for tattooing 11-year-old

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:17 AM
  • 16 Replies

Mom arrested for tattooing 11-year-old

A North Carolina mother is facing charges for tattooing her 11-year-old daughter. (Source: WCTI/CNN)A North Carolina mother is facing charges for tattooing her 11-year-old daughter. (Source: WCTI/CNN)

GREENVILLE, NC (WCTI/CNN) - Police in North Carolina arrested a mother last month for giving her daughter a tattoo.

According to the investigators, Odessa Clay told them her 11-year-old asked for it, so she used her own tattoo tools to give her one.

It was apparently a small heart near the girl's shoulder.

Officers said Clay didn't know it was illegal to tattoo someone under 18, even with parental permission.

Clay said she thinks an ex in-law turned her in because she filed a complaint against her daughter's paternal grandfather.

She has a court date next month.

Join us in the  North Carolina Moms group!

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Slayton723
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:20 AM
At least wait until the child is 16 geez lol. I'm all for tattoos but 11 is way too young!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
m0mmy0ftw02012
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:30 AM

i agree with you!

Quoting Slayton723:

At least wait until the child is 16 geez lol. I'm all for tattoos but 11 is way too young!

in love  In love with an amazing man! I have two girls,     girl on a swing      girl on a swing.

G2Mama
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Ditto

Quoting m0mmy0ftw02012:

i agree with you!

Quoting Slayton723:

DazeDelights
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:59 AM
I thought with the parents consent that it was legal. I wonder at what age it is considered legal with parental consent? I've seen atleast a 14 year old go in the tat shop and get one with her mother.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JustThe10ofUs
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:06 AM
The news report said anyone under 18....im scratching my head too. There are several kids my ds's (15) at his school that have them.

Quoting DazeDelights:

I thought with the parents consent that it was legal. I wonder at what age it is considered legal with parental consent? I've seen atleast a 14 year old go in the tat shop and get one with her mother.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JennMcBride
by Jenn on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:09 AM
The way kids in nc are getting them is going to va. With parental concent you can get them at 16.

Quoting JustThe10ofUs:

The news report said anyone under 18....im scratching my head too. There are several kids my ds's (15) at his school that have them.

Quoting DazeDelights:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JustThe10ofUs
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Ah!!! That explains it. We are right on the VA state line.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaPeanut
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm NC it's illegal under 18 no matter what.

I love tattoos, but I'd you're not old enough to vote, you're too young to get a tattoo.

That mother is a total idiot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SpiritedWitch
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this

This mom in the article said it best : “Just because your kid wants something doesn’t mean they should have it.

Should she go to jail? No. If all parents who made bad decisions were put in jail, we would all be in jail. 

Tattoos are NOT something that should be taken lightly or done on the spur of the moment and definitely should not be done on someone who likes Justin Bieber this week and will like the next hottest thing next week.

4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 4:21 PM

She broke the law so she should be charged.  I'm not sure about jail time though.  Tattoos are such a permanent thing I can't imagine giving one to a child that young just because she wants it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN