Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

North Carolina Moms North Carolina Moms

Advice on New Business Idea- Please Help

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:04 PM
  • 5 Replies

Poll

Question: Does this sound like something you would have at a party you are hosting?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 4

View Results

A few weeks ago my MIL (who owns a small ceramics company) came to me with the idea of me starting a Craft Party supply business focusing on ceramics.  I've owned another small, home based business in the past but when the economy went down hill so did sales.  What I would do is supply customers with one ceramic piece per party guest, paint, paint brushes, etc... Then they could have that as the party favor once the guest has painted them.  They can be for kids birthday parties, baby showers, wedding showers...  I'm just not sure if many people would even be interested in something like that and I don't want to leap without thinking.

Does anyone think this idea is even worth it?  I am just not sure and my MIL is super pushy about this.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks!

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mamivon2
by Sandra on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:30 PM

I guess its worth a try and if it doesnt work out then well you dont have to do it again

NatalieMH
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:04 PM
I think it sounds fun! My dd would love that! What would be the advantage of hiring your company rather than get the craft supplies myself at a craft store?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Depending on the price, it would be great for a kid's party.  There is a business about 45 min from here that does this for birthday parties but you have to go to their store and have the party there.   It's a little expensive to do it there.  My daughter went to a party there when she was younger and they all had a really good time.

kellynh
by Kelly on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Honestly I am not sure how that would work. Why chose you over going to michaels (heck even dollar tree has glassware which can be decorated really nice for wedding tables... Vases.. Mugs for kids ect) ?? How cost effective would it be. There has to be a "catch" something that will make you stand out.. Unique and different!! I think you need a solid business plan on where and how sales would generate before you get in stock. 

Rain2Rinse
by Representative on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Maybe. Dd is doing the big huge paint canvases for her birthday this year
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)