Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

North Carolina Moms North Carolina Moms

What is your take?? I really don't know how to title it

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:35 PM
  • 8 Replies

Because I'm conflicted in my feelings over this... Here is part of a letter I received from my dd's preschool teacher... I'll post this, my thoughts, and expand why I feel this way....

Now that the Valentine celebration is over we ask that our parents work with your child to bring in a book to share with the class on a famous African American.  But first, before your start, ask your child which African American they would like to share with the class.  This assignment is preparation for an activity they will be doing in a regular classroom setting.  If your child cannot think of anyone give them a small hint such as “Michael Jackson, Michael Jordan, Coretta Scott King, Dr. Martin Luther King,” and so on.  This assignment is due in class by Thursday, February 21.  This assignment does not take the place of our Monday “Show and Tell” session.

I know Black History Month is coming up, but I have strived to not let my dd see race, she sees people. Now I am being told to specifically pick something for my dd to bring to PRESCHOOL based on the color of their skin. This just seems wrong to me. Hell, she is 4 and mentally a very young 4... She would love to talk about Mickey Mouse... But instead I have to force her to learn that differences exist. Why? Why do differences still exist? Why do we have to teach children they do? If we stopped, wouldn't they to... Stop?? Why can't she pick a singer, because she likes them? Why can't she pick someone in history who effected change? Why can't she pick a president, because he is a president? Why does she have to chose because he or she is African American? Why are we teaching children that race is important? It's not, it means squat what color eyes, hair, you have, what clothes you wear, what your weight is... After all that is ALL taught as part of anti bullying... So WHY... Why do we teach 4yo about racial difference? 

I am from NH. I have been in NC for almost 3 yrs and in SC for 1.5yrs before that. When I was in SC at Walmart... There was a greeter there that always remembered me and my then infant Hannah. For a good 6mths I would see her 2-3 times a week. She always made a fuss over Hannah. 

One day, I went in but stopped at the video rental. Pretty much as I walked through the door, the greeter... Greeted me, fussed over Hannah... And in walks this Mom with her baby not more then a few weeks old. Beautiful, cute, squishy baby. The greeter turned in the other direction and didn't speak a word to her.... Because she was black.. Really... 

This was the first time I had ever seen such blatant hate... Over a race.... This just doesn't happen up North... Unless it does and I was never exposed to it.... But it was then that I realized that too many people put too much emphasis on what a person looks like... And I made damn sure my kids were raised to see.... People... 

So.... Having to do this... Bothers me... 

Group Mod

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mamivon2
by Sandra on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this

you know I read your post and I was kinda suprised when you said Preschool and Black history months.. this words shouldnt even be in the same sentence.. not at that age anyways..

I would not send her on that day.. just my opinion

SimplyEnchanted
by Kristin on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:30 PM
2 moms liked this

I disagree with not seeing race. Individuality is what makes us all beautiful. I don't want to see us all the same. I don't want my children to see everyone the same aesthetically. What I do want them to see is that we would be boring, bland and clones of one another if we were not all uniquely made. We will never be done with racism until we learn to embrace all races and recognize them as beautiful. My Bible says that we're fearfully and wonderfully made. It doesn't say a white person is or a black person, it says we (as in humans) we need to learn to embrace our unique looks, colors, hair color, eye color and weights and then racism will be of no issue.  Yes, it is the inside that matters but when we learn to love the outside we find out that we have learned to love the inside.

However, I disagree with black history month. Why should there only be a black history month and not a "white" history month? A jewish history month? So on and so forth. We need to abolish black history month and make it "Heritage History Month" where people are encouraged to celebrate and embrace each of their heritages or to learn about someone elses.

We are ALL beautiful, we are all different, that is what makes us beautiful :)

Pregnancy%20ticker
Mama to five beautiful girls- Piper(11), Paris(9), Prue(7), Priya(4)&Kahlan(2) and two angel babies that were too precious for earth, Angel('09) and Evenstar('12)

Slayton723
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:09 PM
I'd refuse. Not that I believe they shouldn't now the differences or race (in my eyes every race has their dumb asses lol) but thats not something I find appropriate for preschool...I think tolerance for one another is a much bigger issue especially in schools now...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilmamabowers
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:11 PM
This.
I wouldn't send her either

Quoting mamivon2:

you know I read your post and I was kinda suprised when you said Preschool and Black history months.. this words shouldnt even be in the same sentence.. not at that age anyways..

I would not send her on that day.. just my opinion

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kellynh
by Kelly on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:18 AM

But the uniqueness that everyone possess does come from the inside and not the out. It is the inside that forms basis of personality. If not, every breed of animal that looked the same from the outside (clones.. So to speak) would also act the same, have the same personality. 

So when I say that I do not teach her to view people's racial differences... Perhaps it would be better put to say I teach her there is only one race..

The Human Race

Anything that goes beyond that, is unimportant. 

I absolutely agree that we are all beautiful, different and unique... I would encourage my children to learn from anyone they know, or have read about, or are going to learn about... By the acts that made them different, stand out in history, or because purple is their favorite color too and how cool is that!! 

:)

Galatians 3:28

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.”

For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him.

But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors.

For God shows no partiality.

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

Quoting SimplyEnchanted:

I disagree with not seeing race. Individuality is what makes us all beautiful. I don't want to see us all the same. I don't want my children to see everyone the same aesthetically. What I do want them to see is that we would be boring, bland and clones of one another if we were not all uniquely made. We will never be done with racism until we learn to embrace all races and recognize them as beautiful. My Bible says that we're fearfully and wonderfully made. It doesn't say a white person is or a black person, it says we (as in humans) we need to learn to embrace our unique looks, colors, hair color, eye color and weights and then racism will be of no issue.  Yes, it is the inside that matters but when we learn to love the outside we find out that we have learned to love the inside.

However, I disagree with black history month. Why should there only be a black history month and not a "white" history month? A jewish history month? So on and so forth. We need to abolish black history month and make it "Heritage History Month" where people are encouraged to celebrate and embrace each of their heritages or to learn about someone elses.

Group Mod

SimplyEnchanted
by Kristin on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:00 AM
I dont judge by appearance. I recognize it as being just one of the many things that makes us different from one another. I find those differences to be amazing and just another proof of God 's handy work. I think it is beautiful and amazing that a human can box just a few colors of brown but if you ever peer into brown eyes you will see a different variety, thousands. There is no judgement in acknowledging the master artist.

Quoting kellynh:

But the uniqueness that everyone possess does come from the inside and not the out. It is the inside that forms basis of personality. If not, every breed of animal that looked the same from the outside (clones.. So to speak) would also act the same, have the same personality. 

So when I say that I do not teach her to view people's racial differences... Perhaps it would be better put to say I teach her there is only one race..

The Human Race

Anything that goes beyond that, is unimportant. 

I absolutely agree that we are all beautiful, different and unique... I would encourage my children to learn from anyone they know, or have read about, or are going to learn about... By the acts that made them different, stand out in history, or because purple is their favorite color too and how cool is that!! 

:)

Galatians 3:28

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.”

For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him.

But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors.

For God shows no partiality.

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

Quoting SimplyEnchanted:

Bknotnobody
by Sadie on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Preschool and black history month... I think it's a bit too advanced, and honestly I would say something to the teacher. Like hey, I don't find this appropriate for 4 year olds. I mean I know eventually the world will open their eyes, and we can't shelter them forever, but this just seems, a bit well, not preschool. Lol.

MamaPeanut
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Very strange.

Sooo glad I homeschool.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)