Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

North Carolina Moms North Carolina Moms

Produce-co ops, deals, steals...do you know any?

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:59 PM
  • 6 Replies
We just moved back from living in Arizona for several years. While I was living there, I found that all over the country there are places to buy fresh produce at cheap prices. Do you know of any here?

In Arizona, my favorite was one called Market on the Move. They had several per week set up, usually at local church parking lots, library parking lots, YMCA, etc... You would go, pay $10, and get 60 pounds of various produce. Basically, much would be grocery store rejects, fruit not symmetrical, etc... But still fine to eat. They would be in your area once or twice a month. They didn't have pick ups in the summer (it's just really miserably hot), but they did have warehouses you could go and learn how to can food during the summer off season.

Another one was called bountiful baskets. This one you had to order in advance, $30 for a laundry basket full of various produce...this one I did less often, but they also had add on stuff, like homemade bread and tortillas, local honey, etc.

Does anyone know of something like that here?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Bknotnobody
by Sadie on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Nothing like that to my knowledge. But local farmers markets are good for various produce :)good and cheaper too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kellynh
by Kelly on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Nothing around me. I used to do this in NH as well!! It was fantastic!! 

NatalieMH
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Farmers markets!
4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm near the coast and we have alot of local farm markets.  I've never heard of the services around here where you order the baskets of foods weekly or monthly.  

k.oder
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Check out Backyard Produce. www.byproduce.com

We have looked at doing this for our family.  I have several friends who enjoy this particular service/website.

JennMcBride
by Jenn on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Never heard of anything like that in my area.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)