Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

North Carolina Moms North Carolina Moms

Details behind Pat McCrory's Education Bill

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:05 PM
  • 4 Replies

http://www.wral.com/mccrory-signs-first-bill-as-governor/12122587/

McCrory signs first bill as governor

Hours before delivering his first State of the State address, Gov. Pat McCrory delivered on one of his campaign promises Monday by signing legislation that places more emphasis on vocational education in North Carolina high schools.

Increase Access to Career and Technical Education, a bill sponsored by Sen. Jerry Tillman, R-Randolph, is aimed at preparing students for jobs now available in the state.

"Even with the fifth-highest unemployment rate in the nation, I still talk to employers – even here in Randolph County  – who say they can't find qualified employees to fill our job openings. We need to close the gap between education and commerce," McCrory said in signing the bill at Randolph Community College.

One of the features of the bill allows high school students to get training and earn diplomas with endorsements marking them ready for a career, college or both.

"Vocational training, along with four-year college degrees, (is) equally important to our families, to our economy, to society," McCrory said.

The governor toured the machine shop at the community college before signing the bill.

Student Bill Cranford said he hopes the skills he's learning in the machining program will help him get a job in the manufacturing industry when he graduates in May. He said he was forced to retrain after his job in the dairy industry moved elsewhere.

"I think anything that gives kids a new opportunity or a better leg up on what to do with their future is a good thing," Cranford said.

The new law also makes it easier for people with certain skills become teachers by eliminating some of the requirements and certifications typically required to become a teacher.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
NatalieMH
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Interesting! I am all for vocational school. When I graduated high school, I graduated on a techinal track not a college track. I got a certificate in horticulture along with my diploma. I don't think it really means anything.....but if this bill proves that these kids have studied something and gives credit to them on a diploma, I think that is great! Kids need to have options these days.....college does not promise a job these days.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:44 AM

This explains it a little better.  I'm still not sure how the labeling will work with diplomas but I'm glad to see it's tied to vocational training.  I think that could help a lot of kids that can't afford college or who may not be able to perform well in college. 

kellynh
by Kelly on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:05 AM

It does give a better explanation. 

almondpigeon
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:00 AM

that sounds much better than the article that i originally read.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN