Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

North Carolina Moms North Carolina Moms

North Carolina - The Good, Bad, and Ugly

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:55 AM
  • 3 Replies

Moms, I need your help ...

I live in Maine but am contemplating a move to North Carolina.  Clearly, in Maine, there is a lot of "ugly" and if someone was asking me about Maine, I would probably tell them that the snow lasts until mid to late March or early April, the winters are cold, and the taxes are unbelievable.  Unless someone really loved the cold and was a skiier, I would suggest NOT moving to Maine.

What can you all tell a New Englander about moving to North Carolina? 

• Am I going to make friends easy? 
  • Will our daughter make friends easy and be accepted into a new school?
  • Am I going to be killing spiders inside my (new) home?
  • Will the taxes kill us?
  • How are crime rates?

I would appreciate any and all information you can provide.  We are driving down at the end of our school year (June) to check things out.  Our house in Maine has not yet sold but we are contemplating just leaving it on the market and going anyway .... thanks so much!

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:06 PM

The weather here is like a roller coaster sometimes.  One day can be 80 and the next day in the 30's.  The summers are pretty constant with heat and humidity (which I don't mind).  Not sure about all areas but the people here are friendly and we welcome newcomers and so do the school kids.  Spiders are around but I don't think they are too bad (and I hate spiders).  The property tax rates really depend on what county you move into and that's probably the same with the crime rate.  In my area we don't have much crime.

Mom2KIL
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:08 PM
This. And what area are you thinking of moving to?

Quoting 4kidz916:

The weather here is like a roller coaster sometimes.  One day can be 80 and the next day in the 30's.  The summers are pretty constant with heat and humidity (which I don't mind).  Not sure about all areas but the people here are friendly and we welcome newcomers and so do the school kids.  Spiders are around but I don't think they are too bad (and I hate spiders).  The property tax rates really depend on what county you move into and that's probably the same with the crime rate.  In my area we don't have much crime.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RishawnsMom
by New Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:18 PM

I love North Carolina.  I was born and raised in Greensboro and we are raising our family here now.  Yes the weather has been crazy but if you can stand the snow for 3 months straight you will love this kind of weather.  Its actually beginning to mellow out.  We have beautiful spring weather.  I believe your family will make friends easily.  I have my daughter in the Little Gym with other children her age and the parents are very friendly.  About the spiders.....I live in the Lake Janette area of Greensboro and have a pond in my back yard so I do see lots of spiders but nothing that Terminex cant take care of.  And I agree with 4kidz916, the taxes and crime depend on the area.  

I love living here.  In my opinion, its the perfect mixture of city and country.  Its not too fast or too slow.  We have the mountains on one end and the outer banks on the other.  I think you will enjoy it here.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)