Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

North Carolina Moms North Carolina Moms

One in 50 Kids Now Have Autism

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:50 AM
  • 10 Replies

One in 50 Kids Now Have Autism

posted by Lindsay Ferrier 

FlickrIf you're not already completely freaked out by the number of kids diagnosed with autism, get ready -- the latest numbers are out today and one in 50 school-aged children have autism.

Last year, it was one in 88. People. What is going on?

I really don't understand why the general public is not absolutely up in arms over these rising numbers. One. In. Fifty. This is not okay!

According to USA Today, the numbers are higher because of different counting methods:

The study looked at children ages 6-17 and was based on parent reports, while last year's study looked at 8-year-olds whose diagnosis was noted in school district or other official records.

But experts also say that this study proves we're going to need a lot more autism services for kids than we thought.

Another interesting aspect of the survey is that boys are four times as likely as girls to have autism.

And some experts say that autism in kids hasn't actually increased. What's really changed is that we've gotten better at diagnosing it.

I'm tired of hearing this line, though. Look around you. Is it not COMPLETELY OBVIOUS that autism is on the rise? I have so many friends who have kids with autism -- I think back to when I was a child and I can't remember knowing many children at all with autism, or even kids who had symptoms that would possibly indicate autism. Even more telling to me anecdotally is the fact that my mother was a special education teacher when I was growing up and had hardly any kids with autism or symptoms that might now be indicators of autism. A few years ago, she volunteered in her church nursery and was astounded at the number of children with autism. The church even had a special volunteer effort so that each child with autism would have his/her own helper during the service. This is just one small example of what I'm sure many of you are seeing around you.

People don't like the use of the word "epidemic," but that's exactly what I'm calling it. Autism is an epidemic, and it needs to be treated like one. We need more funding for research and treatment and services -- and we need to figure out what's causing it. Like, NOW.

What do you think about these new numbers?

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SimplyEnchanted
by Kristin on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:45 PM

I think autism has many different causes and reasons ranging from vaccines (not completely for anyone that wishes to attack this opinion), foods we eat, environmental effects, medicinal effects in vitro and after birth and etc. I think there is no one cause of autism

IncognitoOne
by ResidentStalker on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:57 PM

My unpopular opinion.......here we go!

First I want to say that I do believe Autism IS real.

But I also believe it's over-diagnosed, along with ADHD.

IncognitoOne
by ResidentStalker on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:00 PM

And, it gets to me when parents use the diagnosis as an excuse for their poor behavior.

I had a friend who let her son get by with EVERYTHING. "He is Autistic, he doesn't know better." But she'd never even try to talk to him about what he's done being wrong. He kept stealing her credit card and buying cash credits for games he played. She'd complain about it, and when I ask her "Well, what are you going to say to him?" "Oh, nothing, he's Autistic, remember?"

That just gets on my nerves...lol.

SimplyEnchanted
by Kristin on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:04 PM

ADHD is seriously overdiagnosed!

Quoting IncognitoOne:

And, it gets to me when parents use the diagnosis as an excuse for their poor behavior.

I had a friend who let her son get by with EVERYTHING. "He is Autistic, he doesn't know better." But she'd never even try to talk to him about what he's done being wrong. He kept stealing her credit card and buying cash credits for games he played. She'd complain about it, and when I ask her "Well, what are you going to say to him?" "Oh, nothing, he's Autistic, remember?"

Pregnancy%20tickerMama to five beautiful girls- Piper(11), Paris(9), Prue(7), Priya(4)&Kahlan(2) and two angel babies that were too precious for earth, Angel('09) and Evenstar('12)

Rain2Rinse
by Representative on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:15 PM
I'm sure....

Not!

First every kid had ADHD and add. Now every Kid ha a sensory disorder or is on the spectrum. Whatever!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IncognitoOne
by ResidentStalker on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:23 AM

It's like, kids shouldn't be kids any more.....lol.

The worst part is, I'm sure, at some point I'll have to have the conversation with Colton's teachers because he has bad days. But, his teacher and TA have both admitted to yelling at him.....you can't yell at him, I've told them this over and over again, lol. It scares him, and once you've scared him, you've lost him. But he's bored!! He's working at a higher level than the other kids in his class, she tries....she's moved the kids around to where he and the 3 girls are sitting together that are working at a higher level, but he's still finished before they are....and he's expected to sit quietly and still for 10-15 minutes. These are KINDERGARTNERS!!  When I was in kindergarten, we played all day. There was none of this work sheet and spelling test learning. We learned by how many blue bears we had.....

Quoting SimplyEnchanted:

Quoting IncognitoOne:

mamivon2
by Sandra on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:38 AM

Im sure some kids have Autism and I dont say its not real..

but  its way overrated... because a child doesnt want to talk to someone or is shy doesnt mean he or she has autism.. maybe the person he/she is suppose to talk to is boring..

Rain2Rinse
by Representative on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:20 AM
I remember those little blue, yellow, red, and green math bears!

Quoting IncognitoOne:

The worst part is, I'm sure, at some point I'll have to have the conversation with Colton's teachers because he has bad days. But, his teacher and TA have both admitted to yelling at him.....you can't yell at him, I've told them this over and over again, lol. It scares him, and once you've scared him, you've lost him. But he's bored!! He's working at a higher level than the other kids in his class, she tries....she's moved the kids around to where he and the 3 girls are sitting together that are working at a higher level, but he's still finished before they are....and he's expected to sit quietly and still for 10-15 minutes. These are KINDERGARTNERS!!  When I was in kindergarten, we played all day. There was none of this work sheet and spelling test learning. We learned by how many blue bears we had.....

Quoting SimplyEnchanted:

Quoting IncognitoOne:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IncognitoOne
by ResidentStalker on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:19 AM

I loved them!!! Lol

Quoting Rain2Rinse:

I remember those little blue, yellow, red, and green math bears!

Quoting IncognitoOne:

Quoting SimplyEnchanted:

Quoting IncognitoOne:

Join us in the North Carolina Moms group!

kellynh
by Kelly on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I agree!!

Quoting IncognitoOne:

Group Mod

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN