Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raleigh Area

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:51 PM
  • 13 Replies
My dh just had an interview for a job in Raleigh, and it went really well. If he gets the job he would be commuting there until his probation is up and then we would move there. We currently live in Danville Va, so not very far. I've only been to Raleigh a handful of times. I was just wondering if you all liked living there, how much the cost of living was, and where you'd recommend looking for places to live (I'll hold off until we know if he landed it). Thanks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JennMcBride
by Jenn on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Im not from there but my sister lives there and she really likes it. Im in a more rural country area so its hard for me dealing with the traffic when Im there lol. But she loves the city and how everyhting you might need is only a few min away. Hope you find a mom in here from there...I know we have some.

all2gethernow
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm just north of Raleigh, in Durham I moved here 3 years ago from Maryland. I love it here. I like Durham more then Raleigh tho. It's much cheaper to live in the outskirts of Durham-and there are beautiful communities-then in Raleigh. Raleigh has more traffic, pricier houses. Of course, compared to the Baltimore area, everything is cheaper here;)
I couldn't do the drive from VA to here tho! I lived here one week, MD the next, for over a year. Just the thought of driving I85 makes me ill;)
SimplyEnchanted
by Kristin on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I've never lived in that area but wanted to say WELCOME and give your post a bump :)

SimplyEnchanted
by Kristin on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this

And where do I know your username from?!

anjones09
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:30 PM
I didn't even think about moving to Durham and him just commute there. Thanks for that! I'll have to look for houses there. I know the area somewhat. Danville is only 1 1/2 hours away. We go down 86 through Yanceyville.

Quoting all2gethernow:

I'm just north of Raleigh, in Durham I moved here 3 years ago from Maryland. I love it here. I like Durham more then Raleigh tho. It's much cheaper to live in the outskirts of Durham-and there are beautiful communities-then in Raleigh. Raleigh has more traffic, pricier houses. Of course, compared to the Baltimore area, everything is cheaper here;)

I couldn't do the drive from VA to here tho! I lived here one week, MD the next, for over a year. Just the thought of driving I85 makes me ill;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anjones09
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:36 PM
I'm in quite a few groups but only active in about 3. I'm active, somewhat, in Dec 2011, Jan 2012, and mc.

Quoting SimplyEnchanted:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
all2gethernow
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:47 PM
South Durham is really nice-lots of great places to live. There's great shopping there as well. I live about 6 miles east of Durham. Not "east Durham" tho-that is considered a bad area;) we live in a golf course community in a beautiful house that would have easily cost 3x what we paid for it if we lived in MD. It's diverse here, schools are ok-we're homeschoolers tho. Lots of festivals, outdoor music, activities,etc. always something to do. Great restaurants, museums, etc. I don't plan to leave here. :) people are very nice-everyone says hello-not used to that:/. Raleigh is a few miles away if I need to go there. The area around Duke has great stuff to do, and Chapel Hill is 15 minutes away and really lovely. I was unsure about moving here, but it was the best thing I ever did:)

Quoting anjones09:

I didn't even think about moving to Durham and him just commute there. Thanks for that! I'll have to look for houses there. I know the area somewhat. Danville is only 1 1/2 hours away. We go down 86 through Yanceyville.

Quoting all2gethernow:

SimplyEnchanted
by Kristin on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:40 PM

hrmm...not in either of those. MC/miscarriage group? I used to be in there. I left though when I got pregnant...it was just too hard to see those posts and it fueled worry for me.

Quoting anjones09:

I'm in quite a few groups but only active in about 3. I'm active, somewhat, in Dec 2011, Jan 2012, and mc.

Quoting SimplyEnchanted:

Mama to five beautiful girls- Piper(11), Paris(9), Prue(8), Priya(5)&Kahlan(2) and two angel babies that were too precious for earth, Angel('09) and Evenstar('12)

Lilypie Maternity tickers

k.oder
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I am from the Raleigh area but don't currently live there.  Depending on where his job is, should he land it, you could live in many of the towns outside of Raleigh.  My parents live in the southeastern part of Wake County, between Garner and Fuquay-Varina.  It's 15 minutes to Cary, 20 minutes to Apex, 20 minutes to downtown Raleigh, and the cost of living in those areas is not as high as the actual city of Raleigh.

Angela4boys
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I sure do!  This is the second time we've lived here, and will be staying.  We moved here in 2007 from Southern California.  My husband got homesick and in 2009 we moved back West.  Within a year, we wanted to come back desperately.  Well, it took 3 years...we just got back in October of last year.  I've never lived in Raleigh, but we've lived in Knightdale, and now we live in Wendell. The cost of living is reasonable (but coming from a area near the coast of Southern California...most anywhere else in the country would be reasonable to me).  So, welcome to the area.  I don't know your family dynamic, but I'm sure you can find a city perfect for you....I'd hate to advise you and get it wrong, LOL!  We like being in the suburbs or rural...but I know people who like to be in the city too.  This area has a lot to offer in terms of family friendly, recreation, outdoors...even proximity to oceans and mountains.  If you have specifics, I'd be happy to answer :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)