Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Hampshire Moms New Hampshire Moms

West Nile!

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 6:39 PM
  • 11 Replies

There have been several positive tests throughout NH for the West Nile virus this summer. Positive tests have come from Manchester, Nashua and Salem!

What extra precautions do you take with your family to help insure their safety? How worried does it make you?

by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 6:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jennient3
by Jennie on Aug. 8, 2012 at 6:43 PM

I used to be a big worrier about this

but we use bug repellant, and spray our yard. We avoid being out at dusk and keep standing water away

rosemagic01
by Holli on Aug. 8, 2012 at 7:07 PM

My son and I get tagged up like crazy. He gets welts from them. So we tend to stay inside during their most active hours to prevent lots of bites anymore. We live near a river though even with keeping no standing water on our land they are always in abundance! 

Quoting jennient3:

I used to be a big worrier about this

but we use bug repellant, and spray our yard. We avoid being out at dusk and keep standing water away

Crissy2424
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 7:31 PM

We don't have cable so we don't hear about things like this as much. Good to know since we live 40 minutes from Manchester. I will keep bug repellant on more now, thanks!

rosemagic01
by Holli on Aug. 8, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Oh geeze I'm so glad you know now! Think the number was 18 batches from Manchester, Nashua and Salem that tested positive and then another 8 batches of just Manchester that tested positive. =\ In short WAY too many! 

Quoting Crissy2424:

We don't have cable so we don't hear about things like this as much. Good to know since we live 40 minutes from Manchester. I will keep bug repellant on more now, thanks!

Crissy2424
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 7:40 PM

I agree that is WAY too many. Thank you!

Quoting rosemagic01:

Oh geeze I'm so glad you know now! Think the number was 18 batches from Manchester, Nashua and Salem that tested positive and then another 8 batches of just Manchester that tested positive. =\ In short WAY too many! 

Quoting Crissy2424:

lasombrs
by Sara on Aug. 8, 2012 at 8:08 PM

we dont go out to often but i try to use bug spray. the city of raymond sprays the town and tries to treat water and swamp areas.

But I try to not worry about it much

lasombrs
by Sara on Aug. 8, 2012 at 8:08 PM

we dont have cable either! I never hear about stuff on the news and am so out of the loop when my inlaws try to talk about stuff the think i should know lol

Quoting Crissy2424:

AidanCamsMom
by Amanda on Aug. 9, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Eek! That's scary. We try not to be out when they are most active especially since my daughter is so allergic.

Crissy2424
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 11:59 AM

What are the worst times to be out for mosquitos?

rosemagic01
by Holli on Aug. 9, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Just before during and just after dusk. When the sun starts going down right now its like 6-8 or so. But becoming earlier. 

Quoting Crissy2424:

What are the worst times to be out for mosquitos?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)