Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Hampshire Moms New Hampshire Moms

Buy A Dog? Or Not?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 8:06 PM
  • 16 Replies

I have 2 cats and a 3 year old. Both husband and I have $8 an hour jobs. We make enough to have in the bank and even put a little away in the savings. We live in a double-wide trailer park that allows dogs up to 15lbs. I just know they are a lot of responsibility. Currently we are looking at a Terrier Mix that is 10lbs. What do you think? Yes? No?

by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 8:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AmesCSki
by Amy on Aug. 28, 2012 at 8:39 PM
We have a dog and we love her. But she sometimes makes life inconvenient. The start up costs for a dog are expensive and vets in general are expensive. You make a lot of vet visits in the first year especially if you get a puppy. You need so much stuff. You need food, a crate, toys, leashes, collars, monthly heartworm meds...you also may need to take the dog to obedience school too. And when you go away on vacation or something if you don't have anyone to watch the dog you'll have to pay for a kennel. Dogs are so much work and very high maintenance. We are so tied down by our dog--like I said we love her but there are definitely times I wish we didn't have her because we've had to say no to a lot of opportunities because she'd have to be crated for too long or something. Oh and if you can, install a doggie door. I'm not trying to discourage you I'm just trying to be honest and realistic like I wish someone had done for me--I begged and begged DH to get a dog and he agreed so long as I did all the training and taking care of her etc which I did until I was a million months pregnant and then in my first few postpartum months, I've taken over again. Having a dog is honestly like having a kid, I think a baby is actually easier than a puppy!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Crissy2424
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Thank you very much for your honesty. That is why I am being hesitant. I've even heard my MIL/FIL say they love their dogs, but they feel tied down. Plus, they have to get up early in the morning to take the dogs out.

AmesCSki
by Amy on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:14 PM
Yes! Early mornings are very hard--the dog and the baby typically wake up at the same time and I usually have to leave the baby crying in her bed to take the dog out--it's a huge pain! I hate having to make the baby wait to eat but I also don't want the dog to poop on the floor!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Crissy2424
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Oh boy!

lasombrs
by Sara on Aug. 29, 2012 at 7:27 AM

Sure, but don't buy :( Pleanty of great dogs need homes from shealters or craigslist. But I agree, start up cost, and maitenence is costly. Vet trips (esp if you get a puppy who needs several rounds of shoots like a child or to be spayed/neutered..... avoid all that by adopting a fully vaxed/neutered pet!!) flea and heartworm medication monthly. Our dog and cat get a long fine. But with our older cats they met the dog as a puppy, and with our newer cat, the dog raised the cat since it was a few days old and its best friends. We also have a large dog. I dont know if a cat sized dog will try to mess with them more or not. I'm not really a little dog kind of person

jennient3
by Jennie on Aug. 29, 2012 at 8:23 AM

i was only without a dog for 10 months, when our first family dog was put down. I like having a dog, but i like big ones. but there are advantages to small ones, that it is easir to take them somewhere. and you have to remember just like with a child, you don't know what if any health problems they will have down the road. my first dog wa diabetic, and it got costly, and i had to give him shots twice a day.

it is a big resonsibility, but can be oh so rewarding

our first dog we purchaed from a breeder, my second wa a resuce, that i found online from alabama. i felt comfortable getting a dog that was already a year old, because my kids were older. 

but i have to say i will never be without an animal, right now i have one dog and one cat

lillucky8
by Jen on Aug. 29, 2012 at 8:30 AM
My dh wants another puppy since im on maternity leave, i said no way. Houses training is a pain and requires lots of cleanup, then the chewing, and regular training. Also vet bills are on average $200/yr for checkup, bloodwork, heartworm meds, then more for flea/tic stuff. Then spay or neuter, and any incidental visits to the vet. Also food, we spend about $50/mo. It adds up. I love my dog and have never not had one, he protects my house, but im not ready for another right now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Crissy2424
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:07 AM

I know they say get a puppy so the kid and dog can grow up together, but I wasn't interested in a young dog. I wanted an older one that is already house-trained and UTD on shots.

xomrs.chase
by Sarah on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:44 PM
In a year or two we are buying a purebred corgi. Expensive, and time consuming- but I miss having a dog.

I had a rescue pup. Great adult dog- but hates kids. HATES kids. She has to live with my parents now because she tried to attack ds.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Karen_Dover
by Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Ugh, I would say don't do it, but I have 2 giants dogs, 2 cats and a baby under 1 year old. I have to sweep every day, and that is just not acceptable to me! And they can be expensive, especially when weird things come up. I love my pets, but I long for the day when we have a pet-free home.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN