Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Hampshire Moms New Hampshire Moms

2nd Amendment Debate: Should Americans be allow to buy/own assault weapons?

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 9:52 AM
  • 326 Replies

Should a person's right to bear arms be limited to certain guns or not?

Do you think Americans should be allowed to buy and own automatic or semiautomatic assault weapons or should citizens be limited to only owning hand guns and rifles (like for hunting)?

by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 9:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lasombrs
by Sara on Aug. 29, 2012 at 10:04 AM
38 moms liked this

hmmmmm I dont own a gun because I dont believe they are safe but I am not against others having them with the proper safety. I could see the advantage to placing a restriction on the types of arms allowed, but if we start to place restrictions on one right, which one is next? I think it opens up the door for a lot of censorship that way.

Even though people do bad things with guns they are definetly the minority of gun owners. And the majority of people who commit crimes with those types of guns like gangs and such have those weapons illegaly anyway so its not like it would do any good with them anyway.

Soooooooo, I am gonna go with no, leave it how it is.

granitegal
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm kind of torn on this issue but when I see things like the Batman movie theater shooting it makes me wonder what in the world do people need such powerful weapons for.

Crissy2424
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:01 AM
3 moms liked this

I say limited! Who needs a semi-auto???? Look at all the school schootings! Look at all the murders!

iluv2read
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:39 PM
64 moms liked this

I think Americans should be able to own whatever guns they want. Someone who wants to kill people will find a way to do so, whether with a traditional gun or by some other means.

♥ ♥   I love to read. ♥ ♥

rosemagic01
by Holli on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:39 PM
8 moms liked this

I fully and 100% agree. 

Quoting lasombrs:

hmmmmm I dont own a gun because I dont believe they are safe but I am not against others having them with the proper safety. I could see the advantage to placing a restriction on the types of arms allowed, but if we start to place restrictions on one right, which one is next? I think it opens up the door for a lot of censorship that way.

Even though people do bad things with guns they are definetly the minority of gun owners. And the majority of people who commit crimes with those types of guns like gangs and such have those weapons illegaly anyway so its not like it would do any good with them anyway.

Soooooooo, I am gonna go with no, leave it how it is.

granitegal
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 1:30 PM
9 moms liked this

You are right that if a person has the will to cause harm, they will find a way to do it.

Quoting iluv2read:

I think Americans should be able to own whatever guns they want. Someone who wants to kill people will find a way to do so, whether with a traditional gun or by some other means.

jussy11
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 2:32 PM
11 moms liked this

i don't buy the argument that "if someone wants to hurt people, they will find a way" as an excuse NOT to limit powerful guns and ammunition - there are very few ways to injure/kill upwards of 75 people in the span of 90 seconds (what happened in CO) - banning high-capicity clips and ammunition and banning powerful semi-automatic weapons seems completely logical to me 

granitegal
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 4:23 PM
1 mom liked this

It amazes me how easy it is to buy those types of guns. Is there even a limit how many a person can own?

Quoting jussy11:

i don't buy the argument that "if someone wants to hurt people, they will find a way" as an excuse NOT to limit powerful guns and ammunition - there are very few ways to injure/kill upwards of 75 people in the span of 90 seconds (what happened in CO) - banning high-capicity clips and ammunition and banning powerful semi-automatic weapons seems completely logical to me 

jennient3
by Jennie on Aug. 29, 2012 at 7:17 PM
36 moms liked this

i believe proper licensed gun owners deserve to own how many or what ever type they want

i also believe in gun safety courses

even if you choose not to have them in your home, they may be at a friends home

i choose to show my kids what they are and how to be safe

i want them to understand they are not toys, and even take them shooting

you can not hide at home and pretend these things are not out there

StephanieWend
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 8:51 AM

i have one. but i don't think ppl should be allowed to carry one around. they make it to easy for the wrong ppl. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)