Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Hampshire Moms New Hampshire Moms

Are you better off than you were four years ago?

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 4:30 PM
  • 24 Replies

During President Clinton's speech last night he made the case that we are better off than we were four years ago. It's probably a question we'll be hearing over and over until November.

So, are you better off than you were four years ago? How about your family and friends?

by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 4:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
granitegal
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 4:36 PM

I remember four years ago like it was yesterday because I was pregnant with my first child. I lost my job in October 2008 when I was in my last trimester. I worked for a small company and it just went under. I remember being in the hospital room the day after my son was born and watching the coverage of the stock market plummeting to new lows.

Personally I am better off than I was four years ago. I have a few family members who also lost their jobs around that time and they are all working and doing better now too.

jennient3
by Jennie on Sep. 6, 2012 at 5:40 PM
We are also. But I think it's not because of the economy it's because we got smarter. We got rid of credit cards.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lasombrs
by Sara on Sep. 6, 2012 at 9:47 PM

personally no, but not because of the economy. 3 years ago we had our son who has a ton of health problems and we spent almost the whole first year of his life in and out of various hospitals.

We were both laid off prior to him being born, me at 30 weeks pregnant :/, DH weeks after Obama was actually elected his job shut down.

But had it not been for Obama and his unemployment extenstions we never would have been able to care for our son and both be there for him with everything he was going through. (we were of course still looking for work but it prevented dh from sitting down in labor ready all day every day). So I am very very grateful for that

rosemagic01
by Holli on Sep. 7, 2012 at 12:01 AM

No not even close. DH makes more but we're in a harder spot now than ever. I NEED to find bloody work. =( 

xomrs.chase
by Sarah on Sep. 7, 2012 at 6:21 AM
Yes.

Its all personal though. I was in college 4 years ago, so the job market hadn't hurt me. I bartended and worked seasonal at H&R Block as a receptionist.

It did take me a year to find work in my field, but the state cut funding to human services right as I graduated... BUT I did work with adults with disabilities for about a year before my son was born. Now? I'm a sahm by choice

My husband has a secure job. I know that if he lost it, we'd lose a lot. He makes more than I did, has the halth benefits, the profit sharing, etc etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
granitegal
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Yes getting rid of credit cards is an amazing feeling!

Quoting jennient3:

We are also. But I think it's not because of the economy it's because we got smarter. We got rid of credit cards.

Karen_Dover
by Member on Sep. 7, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Hmm, I'm not sure. We both managed to keep our jobs in 2008, and were able to take advantage of the huge housing tax credit they were offering first time home buyers, but of course the value of our house is underwater now, so we have zero equity. We don't plan on selling anytime soon, though, so it isn't that scary for us. Plus we had the baby, so we have more debt and less disposable income now than we had then. I envy Jennie paying off her credit cards!

Susee320
by Member on Sep. 7, 2012 at 10:49 AM

We are better off in some ways!  Trying to pay off our credit cards, but personally I have yet to meet some normal people and feel very lonely as a sahm.  I also work from home, so it makes me feel even more isolated.  But you take the good with the bad!! 

Crissy2424
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 1:23 PM

I think I am not any better or worse than 4 years ago. I was in college with no child and not married. Both my husband and I don't have very good jobs. I had a good job, but lost it.

lillucky8
by Jen on Sep. 7, 2012 at 1:59 PM
Financially yes but we busted our buts to get this way. Four yrs ago dh had almost died in an accident and was still out of work :/ we have since busted hump to get down to one credit card, car loan and personal loan for debt, dh just got a new job so that helped, but otherwise i still feel like we are sinking, prices of everything have skyrocketed and the income is the same.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)