Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Hampshire Moms New Hampshire Moms

Can you believe the famous "Obama hugger" is being boycotted?

Posted by   + Show Post

Famous 'Obama Hugger' Slammed With Restaurant Boycott for 'Embracing' the President

Posted by Maressa Brown

obama bear hug scott van duzerThe photo of Big Apple Pizza and Pasta owner Scott Van Duzer sweeping President Obama right off his feet, AKA the bear hug heard 'round the world, may have been The Best Thing You've Seen All Week. How can you not smile when you hear how Obama dropped by the Ft. Pierce, Florida pizza joint, commented on Van Duzer's "big guns," and then got pulled into the biggest bear hug EVER?

Well, apparently, not only are some staunch conservatives not smiling, but some were so turned off by Van Duzer's affectionate embrace of the POTUS that they've called for a boycott of his pizza joint and have taken to posting nasty reviews for the restaurant on Yelp! What the ... What is wrong with people!?

Obama told The New York Times that Van Duzer's effort in promoting blood donations was part of the reason the campaign decided to visit his pizza shop. And this is how the guy gets repaid? Being boycotted for hanging out with the POTUS? Insane!

Van Duzer explained to Politico:

People are saying a lot of bad things and boycotting my restaurant. There’s no middle line anymore, and that’s exactly what’s wrong with our country right now.

So sad. I couldn't agree more. Even if the registered Republican hadn't gone public with his intention to vote for the Democrat in November, I'd bet he'd be boycotted by right-wingers who can't stand to see anyone support Obama. But let's get one thing straight ... Like it or not, Obama is the President! Even if Van Duzer was hell-bent on voting for Romney, there's absolutely nothing wrong with being respectful and even cheerful when the President of the United States walks through your door!

Van Duzer and President Obama's exchange wasn't polarizing by any means. Neither of them made it about party or politics. It was simply the POTUS recognizing a regular American for his good deeds and patronizing his small business. No matter what party you affiliate with, you shouldn't have a problem with that -- or with Van Duzer's pizza!

Do you think Van Duzer deserves to be boycotted?

by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 3:08 PM
Replies (21-30):
jessi2girls
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 1:44 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting zetajen:

As the wife of a small business man, I know the importance of diplomacy in our community. My actions, his actions are a reflection on this business. In all honesty, it would not surprise me that someone boycotted this business because DH wore their rival college's colors on game day. If this man is surprised by some reaction from a public declartion of support of a canidate, he is living in a dream world.

is it childish for people to give his pizza place bad reviews because of politics and not food? yes. Do I expect it? yes. Especially in light of the recent Chick-fil-a incident. your words, spoken publicly can have an affect on your business. This is not rocket science.

chick-fil-a and this IMO do not compare..

chick-fil-a involved themselves in politics by sponsoring the anti-gay marriage campaigns financially..

all this guy did was give a hug.. there is a huge difference.

JamminOutMama
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 2:06 PM
No
.Diddles.
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Gosh, will people every grow the eff up and realize not everyone will have the same beliefs as the next person? Good grief people, get a life!

workoutmom2b1g
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 2:35 PM

So dumb.

KristinRox
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this

This is ridiculous. So in other words people are saying. If you dont think like me, and agree with everything that pops into my head, youre worthless. Its disgusting and people should be ashamed of themselves!

jonnlilithsmom
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 2:45 PM

absolutely not... 

and I find it absolutely mystifying, that after the Chick-fil-A bull$hit, and how so many people were howling about "free speech" (even though it wasn't about free speech at all, it was about the millions of dollars in profits that were going to hate groups) that they would try to pull something like this, and actually think it would work... 

Liz132
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 2:54 PM

This is sad, and wrong. Of course the man was excited the president came to visit his restaurant! I personally think it was adorable even though I'm not an Obama supporter.  

eastcoastmama11
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 3:05 PM

This poor guy. It's pretty sad how divided we have become. 

Hopefully he will get a lot of business from all this publicity :). Win?

Mom2Just1
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Wow...people will boycott over every little thing nowadays.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

mickstinator
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting KenneMaw:

I think this 'boycot' story is Democratic propoganda.   Searching on Google, there is no evidence of any type of planned boycott. The only info is people talking about this same article.       Maybe the restaurant isn't very good and thats why people dont' want to eat there.     this is all just smoke to keep people from focusing on the real issues.

Really? Democratic propoganda? Why would they randomly start that? 

If you look at the Yelp page, there are a LOT of 1 star reviews from this week alone. I imagine that is a little bit of evidence.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN