Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Hampshire Moms New Hampshire Moms

Can you believe the famous "Obama hugger" is being boycotted?

Posted by   + Show Post

Famous 'Obama Hugger' Slammed With Restaurant Boycott for 'Embracing' the President

Posted by Maressa Brown

obama bear hug scott van duzerThe photo of Big Apple Pizza and Pasta owner Scott Van Duzer sweeping President Obama right off his feet, AKA the bear hug heard 'round the world, may have been The Best Thing You've Seen All Week. How can you not smile when you hear how Obama dropped by the Ft. Pierce, Florida pizza joint, commented on Van Duzer's "big guns," and then got pulled into the biggest bear hug EVER?

Well, apparently, not only are some staunch conservatives not smiling, but some were so turned off by Van Duzer's affectionate embrace of the POTUS that they've called for a boycott of his pizza joint and have taken to posting nasty reviews for the restaurant on Yelp! What the ... What is wrong with people!?

Obama told The New York Times that Van Duzer's effort in promoting blood donations was part of the reason the campaign decided to visit his pizza shop. And this is how the guy gets repaid? Being boycotted for hanging out with the POTUS? Insane!

Van Duzer explained to Politico:

People are saying a lot of bad things and boycotting my restaurant. There’s no middle line anymore, and that’s exactly what’s wrong with our country right now.

So sad. I couldn't agree more. Even if the registered Republican hadn't gone public with his intention to vote for the Democrat in November, I'd bet he'd be boycotted by right-wingers who can't stand to see anyone support Obama. But let's get one thing straight ... Like it or not, Obama is the President! Even if Van Duzer was hell-bent on voting for Romney, there's absolutely nothing wrong with being respectful and even cheerful when the President of the United States walks through your door!

Van Duzer and President Obama's exchange wasn't polarizing by any means. Neither of them made it about party or politics. It was simply the POTUS recognizing a regular American for his good deeds and patronizing his small business. No matter what party you affiliate with, you shouldn't have a problem with that -- or with Van Duzer's pizza!

Do you think Van Duzer deserves to be boycotted?

by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 3:08 PM
Replies (161-167):
Jaybo
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Quoting blue_apalt:

lol...seriously, it seems as if you are simply looking to create a reason to be insulted and start a fight.

The post by Megan was referencing the topic at hand. Do you NOT understand that when one replies to a post they are, typically, replying to the circumstances given in the OP?  In THIS CASE, given the FACTS IN THE ORIGINAL POST, the use of the word AMERICANS works.  Sure some non-Americans may care to a degree (as I did originally say). And hey, if they so wish and are in FL, they can boycott this shop too, but the odds remain, that when it comes down to it, 99% of the ppl who will boycott in THIS case will be American.  Therefore the word Americans is logical and just as okay as "consumers" would have been...sorry if the logic behind this fails you. Why is the word AMERICAN, so hard for you to accept? Do you somehow not get that it makes sense in the given situation and therefore works?

An "embarrassment?" Perhaps, but certainly not for the below response.  lol ;)

You're posts are laughable.  A) You picked a fight about a word that is totally applicable to the situation.  B) You're angry for no reason given (this can't simply be about the word Americans being used w/o you having some other issue w/ Americans can it??).  C) You resort to name calling and insults (which btw never works to actually make a real pt. since typically there is no fact or logic or reasoning in name calling and insult and therefore gives no one a reason to think they should change their minds and go w/ what you say).   Embarrassment? Get over myself? LOL!  ...pot calling the kettle black perhaps?    D) You replies  have no logical or factual arguments that make any one think that given the circumstances here "American" doesn't work (Ppl from other countries are on CM. So?  Those from other countries take interest in American politics. So? That doesn't make the fact that most ppl who would care enough in this case to boycott would be Americans, less valid.  It could have been in England or Canada.  Well there I guess you may have a pt as Megan's use of the word Americans,  wouldn't really have applied, in that case.  lol.  I do have to wonder if you'd throw such a fit over the word Italians though if this story were about a Roman man who hugged the Italian PM -which in that case I would assume the word Italians would have fit just as well as the word consumers btw.  lol).  Just to be clear, no one I've seen, ever argued that consumers didn't work, only that you are being ridiculous to say that using Americans is an issue given the factors of this story.

eye rolling

I'll just let you be angry and insult all you want now.  I wont respond anymore to the silliness of this argument about a word that wasn't insulting to anyone who doesn't already have a chip on their shoulder.  

Quoting Jaybo:

Quoting blue_apalt:

Seriously?!?   She's referencing an AMERICAN store owner, who is being boycotted by AMERICAN voters, based on AMERICAN politics, in an AMERICAN state, in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, where AMERICAN VOTERS are going to VOTE for or against the man who is the source of this whole boycott.    "Americans" makes perfect sense given the content of this post, and doesn't sound stupid at all.  It also doesn't mean she thinks we're "the only country."   

Sure  "consumer" works, but we're talking about AMERICAN politics which have to do strictly w/ AMERICANS who can vote in the AMERICAN election.   Of course, non-Americans who are currently in AMERICA are entitled to AMERICAS freedom to boycotting any shop they wish based on politics as well, but WHY a non-American would boycott anyone based on AMERICAN politics that they can't vote in and have nothing to do w/ them (unless they are planning to become an American) doesn't make much sense. 

Not to mention that in MANY other countries (you know many of those that we "typical Americans" don't realize exist because we're the "only country in the world)" "CONSUMERS" certainly DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT to boycott anything that goes against support for the current political figures, making Megan's statement all the more correct in the content of this discussion.  100% of AMERICANS have a right to boycott based on US politics.  FAR LESS then 100% of the worlds CONSUMERS have the right to boycott based on their countries politics.  Of course as said above, if they are in America they can certainly boycott American stores based on American Politics, but again WHY would a non-American want to boycott a store based on AMREICAN POLITICS and AMERICAN PRESIENTIAL candidate likes/dislikes?   I guess one could argue that maybe say, Israelis may care some over which candidate is more pro-support for them or such, but overall, I think it's fairly safe to say that 99.99% of the ppl who would care about an issue like this enough to boycott would be AMREICAN.

Your post sounds like you were just looking to make an issue out of something that wasn't there based on some prejudice issues (unless you actually know Megan and know for sure what she's like) you have w/ "typical Americans."

eye rolling   

Quoting Jaybo:

Quoting Megan11587:

I think its stupid to boycott for that reason, but as Americans we have the right to choose where we take our business.

"But as Americans we have the right to choose where we take out business."

What about non Americans, do they have the right to choose where they take their business as well, or is that privilege exclusive to Americans?

Does your statement sound stupid enough now?

Next time, try using the wording, "But as consumers we have the right to choose where we take our business."

That way you won't give the impression you're just one more typical American who thinks the US is the only country in the world.

Wow, you are one effed up nut job..  Who gives a s*** if it's an american shop in an american city? It could be an english shop in an english city, or a canadian shop in a canadian city for christ sakes, that wasn't the point.

The point was, the word "consumers" would have been a better choice for the situation. Why is the word consumers so hard for you to accept?  What freaking egotistical cloud are you floating on anyway? 

Do you really believe only Americans visit this website? Do you really believe only americans take interest in what's happening with america's screwed up politics? Give you pea brained head a shake & get over yourself american girl, you're an embarrassment.

I wonder if you've ever noticed how imature you make yourself out to be using so many "lols" in a single post? 

blue_apalt
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 1:55 AM
LOL!!!!!
Okay I lied. I'm going to respond one more time. Since you bring up the topic of all the lols, I will explain why they were used so many times.
As I said, your posts (imo) were laughable. I was honestly not insulted or made to think "consumer" was necessary vs "American" in this case. Instead, what most of your replies are are attempts to insult and degrade ppl. This makes you sound angry and, w/o any true explanation or reasoning for you pov, it sounds like a super silly thing to be so up tight about. So all the lol'ing? It is because honestly your posts sound, to me, extreamly silly and rediculouse to the pt of laughter. That, and I'm just a happy person over all so hey, might as well laugh...if laughter makes me "immature" well then I'll gladly be so.
....would now also be a good time to pt out how very mature name calling and personal insults are, and that given your use of them, the fact that you are trying to insult my maturity based on lols, made me lol
...feel free to insult me more if you'd like now. I PROMISE I'm fully done with this silly silly post and will not bother with you again.

Quoting Jaybo:

Quoting blue_apalt:

lol...seriously, it seems as if you are simply looking to create a reason to be insulted and start a fight.

The post by Megan was referencing the topic at hand. Do you NOT understand that when one replies to a post they are, typically, replying to the circumstances given in the OP?  In THIS CASE, given the FACTS IN THE ORIGINAL POST, the use of the word AMERICANS works.  Sure some non-Americans may care to a degree (as I did originally say). And hey, if they so wish and are in FL, they can boycott this shop too, but the odds remain, that when it comes down to it, 99% of the ppl who will boycott in THIS case will be American.  Therefore the word Americans is logical and just as okay as "consumers" would have been...sorry if the logic behind this fails you. Why is the word AMERICAN, so hard for you to accept? Do you somehow not get that it makes sense in the given situation and therefore works?

An "embarrassment?" Perhaps, but certainly not for the below response.  lol ;)

You're posts are laughable.  A) You picked a fight about a word that is totally applicable to the situation.  B) You're angry for no reason given (this can't simply be about the word Americans being used w/o you having some other issue w/ Americans can it??).  C) You resort to name calling and insults (which btw never works to actually make a real pt. since typically there is no fact or logic or reasoning in name calling and insult and therefore gives no one a reason to think they should change their minds and go w/ what you say).   Embarrassment? Get over myself? LOL!  ...pot calling the kettle black perhaps?    D) You replies  have no logical or factual arguments that make any one think that given the circumstances here "American" doesn't work (Ppl from other countries are on CM. So?  Those from other countries take interest in American politics. So? That doesn't make the fact that most ppl who would care enough in this case to boycott would be Americans, less valid.  It could have been in England or Canada.  Well there I guess you may have a pt as Megan's use of the word Americans,  wouldn't really have applied, in that case.  lol.  I do have to wonder if you'd throw such a fit over the word Italians though if this story were about a Roman man who hugged the Italian PM -which in that case I would assume the word Italians would have fit just as well as the word consumers btw.  lol).  Just to be clear, no one I've seen, ever argued that consumers didn't work, only that you are being ridiculous to say that using Americans is an issue given the factors of this story.

eye rolling

I'll just let you be angry and insult all you want now.  I wont respond anymore to the silliness of this argument about a word that wasn't insulting to anyone who doesn't already have a chip on their shoulder.  

Quoting Jaybo:

Quoting blue_apalt:

Seriously?!?   She's referencing an AMERICAN store owner, who is being boycotted by AMERICAN voters, based on AMERICAN politics, in an AMERICAN state, in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, where AMERICAN VOTERS are going to VOTE for or against the man who is the source of this whole boycott.    "Americans" makes perfect sense given the content of this post, and doesn't sound stupid at all.  It also doesn't mean she thinks we're "the only country."   

Sure  "consumer" works, but we're talking about AMERICAN politics which have to do strictly w/ AMERICANS who can vote in the AMERICAN election.   Of course, non-Americans who are currently in AMERICA are entitled to AMERICAS freedom to boycotting any shop they wish based on politics as well, but WHY a non-American would boycott anyone based on AMERICAN politics that they can't vote in and have nothing to do w/ them (unless they are planning to become an American) doesn't make much sense. 

Not to mention that in MANY other countries (you know many of those that we "typical Americans" don't realize exist because we're the "only country in the world)" "CONSUMERS" certainly DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT to boycott anything that goes against support for the current political figures, making Megan's statement all the more correct in the content of this discussion.  100% of AMERICANS have a right to boycott based on US politics.  FAR LESS then 100% of the worlds CONSUMERS have the right to boycott based on their countries politics.  Of course as said above, if they are in America they can certainly boycott American stores based on American Politics, but again WHY would a non-American want to boycott a store based on AMREICAN POLITICS and AMERICAN PRESIENTIAL candidate likes/dislikes?   I guess one could argue that maybe say, Israelis may care some over which candidate is more pro-support for them or such, but overall, I think it's fairly safe to say that 99.99% of the ppl who would care about an issue like this enough to boycott would be AMREICAN.

Your post sounds like you were just looking to make an issue out of something that wasn't there based on some prejudice issues (unless you actually know Megan and know for sure what she's like) you have w/ "typical Americans."

eye rolling   

Quoting Jaybo:

Quoting Megan11587:

I think its stupid to boycott for that reason, but as Americans we have the right to choose where we take our business.

"But as Americans we have the right to choose where we take out business."

What about non Americans, do they have the right to choose where they take their business as well, or is that privilege exclusive to Americans?

Does your statement sound stupid enough now?

Next time, try using the wording, "But as consumers we have the right to choose where we take our business."

That way you won't give the impression you're just one more typical American who thinks the US is the only country in the world.

Wow, you are one effed up nut job..  Who gives a s*** if it's an american shop in an american city? It could be an english shop in an english city, or a canadian shop in a canadian city for christ sakes, that wasn't the point.

The point was, the word "consumers" would have been a better choice for the situation. Why is the word consumers so hard for you to accept?  What freaking egotistical cloud are you floating on anyway? 

Do you really believe only Americans visit this website? Do you really believe only americans take interest in what's happening with america's screwed up politics? Give you pea brained head a shake & get over yourself american girl, you're an embarrassment.

I wonder if you've ever noticed how imature you make yourself out to be using so many "lols" in a single post? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jettsmom2010
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 4:59 AM
How stupid! I feel for this poor guy and his pizza joint.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
latopmom
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 6:24 AM
How wrong can people be? To boycott his business, simply bc of his pleasure with having the POTUS anywhere near and for acknowledging good citizenship. I mean what is this world coming to?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mik1of3
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 2:41 PM

People are saying a lot of bad things and boycotting my restaurant. There’s no middle line anymore, and that’s exactly what’s wrong with our country right now.

He said it best.  I mean, I'm no conservative/ GOP member, but look at what Chik Fil A went through.

Asshattery is an equal opportunity affliction.

littlelamb303
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 5:44 AM

Quoting KenneMaw:

I think this 'boycot' story is Democratic propoganda.   Searching on Google, there is no evidence of any type of planned boycott. The only info is people talking about this same article.       Maybe the restaurant isn't very good and thats why people dont' want to eat there.     this is all just smoke to keep people from focusing on the real issues.

there were people on yelp that tried giving him "bad" reviews, the business.  IMO, it shows the true meaning of the GOP.  They are hateful, bigoted people

littlelamb303
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 5:48 AM

Quoting Megzboys:

why would they want to hug him.  I would boycott the place simply cause he was there.

If I had your attitude, I would have NO friends or family left as they ALL vote republican for the simple reason they are clueless about the issues.  How do you like them apples?  I find that GOP supporters disown people who do not agree with them.  Sad.  An open mind they absolutely do not have.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN