Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Man Cleared of Pot Charges Because of his Rastafarian Religion

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 8:00 AM
  • 6 Replies

A Barnstead resident, 59 year old Doug Darrell, was arrested and tried after National Guard helicopters spotted 15 marijuana plants growing on his property. Last week his jury nullified his guilty verdict, which apparently is something they can do when someone is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt but still the jury wants to see the charges thrown out. Their reasoning? He was using the marijuana for religious purposes, as he is a Rastafarian. Rastafarians, based out of Jamaica, use marijuana as a spiritual aid. Doug Darrell claims that he and his wife used the plants to make tea and medicinal rubs.

I personally don't see anything wrong with marijuana use and think it's a distraction in the war on drugs from real, dangerous narcotics that should be off the streets. But I can see some people being offended that someone got away with something most of us would serve time for, based solely on their religion. Then again, the Catholic Church has been getting away with covering up their sex scandals for years.

What do you think? Should marijuana be legalized? Should a person be exempt from a law that infringes on their religious beliefs?

Šistockphoto.com/cinoby

by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
jennient3
by Jennie on Sep. 20, 2012 at 8:52 AM
I am just going to lol. At this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rosemagic01
by Holli on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:21 AM

HAHA when in doubt use religion.

lillucky8
by Jen on Sep. 20, 2012 at 12:11 PM
Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Crissy2424
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 12:29 PM

My gut says not to believe him....they should take the pot and tell him to go to Jamaica and do it legally lol

lasombrs
by Sara on Sep. 20, 2012 at 2:00 PM

I dont see how 15 plants is religious use. One or two sure I'll buy it. But not 15. I feel that is kinda the slap in the face you are talking about to anyone else who is convicted.

I have no real feelings one way or the other. Its legal in a lot of places so why not here? But on the other hand its a drug that many people waste money on instead of caring for their families. It also impares people and should be monitored kinda like drinking if made legal i think. Ugh I'm in the middle on this one

Karen_Dover
by Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Yeah, 15 plants does seem like a lot just for making tea, but marijuana is so not a dangerous drug! I mean, it's not even close to benadryl, let alone heroine, meth, krokodil (don't google image that), heh.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)