Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Hampshire Moms New Hampshire Moms

New Hampshire Voter Registration Law Provision Struck Down

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 8:00 AM
  • 6 Replies

Part of the new voter registration law that is officially being enacted in November was recently changed by Strafford County Superior Court Judge John Lewis. He ordered the state to remove a section from the voter registration forms that forced voters to declare that they are residents of the State of New Hampshire and subject to all laws that apply to residents before being allowed to register to vote. 

Opponents of the declaration were concerned that the wording would be confusing and deter legal voters from registering. NH State Law says that anyone who maintains a domicile here-including college students- are able to vote in our elections. You do not have to have the intention of living here for the rest of your life to be eligible to vote. Apparently the wording also made it sound as though registering to vote obligates a person to register a vehicle and obtain a driver's license.

This sounds like a good change to me. I don't see why college students shouldn't be allowed to vote in our state if they live here, even temporarily, and I'm certainly not interested in signing my rights away in order to be able to vote.

What do you think of the new voter registration laws? 

Šistockphoto.com/asiseeit

by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
joey125
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 1:47 PM

I think its pretty bad when some want to restrict voting, place obstacles so that people will be intimidated  There has been no cases of voter fraud, so I suspect this is just a dirty game some are playing,

lasombrs
by Sara on Sep. 26, 2012 at 4:08 PM

I dont see a reason to restrict voting (except like felons and such) so I am glad they changed it to be easier to read

celestegood
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 10:25 PM
Agree!

Quoting joey125:

I think its pretty bad when some want to restrict voting, place obstacles so that people will be intimidated  There has been no cases of voter fraud, so I suspect this is just a dirty game some are playing,

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 10:25 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't see any reason to restrict voting, either!

Quoting lasombrs:

I dont see a reason to restrict voting (except like felons and such) so I am glad they changed it to be easier to read

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 10:26 PM
I think its flat out wrong to restrict voting for any reasons (unless its for felons).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LancesMom
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Yeah I don't think its necessary to ask them if they are residents. Keeping things simple and easy will keep people voting.

They are checked when they go in to vote anyway. (Well at least where I vote)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)