Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Hampshire Moms New Hampshire Moms

Do You Agree with the Right to Work Legislation?

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:00 AM
  • 20 Replies

Many conservative local election candidates in New Hampshire are signing "Anti-tax" pledges that include a promise to support Right To Work legislation should they get elected. Right To Work would prohibit unions from requiring members to pay dues, which would eventually break the unions. The thinking is that if unions disappeared from our state it would encourage more large businesses to move to New Hampshire and would create more jobs.

The only problem is- what kind of jobs would be created? The kind of jobs where workers have no say, are paid poorly, have no benefits and a lousy work environment. It may decrease our already low unemployment rate, but at the cost of all employed people. 

The pledge, call the Americans for Prosperity NH Tax Pledge, is being pushed by Americans for Prosperity, a conservative political advocacy group founded with money from billionaire brothers David and Charles Koch.

Unions have done so much good for the middle class. They gave us the weekend, benefits, pensions, safer working conditions, created child labor laws. Unionized teachers can bargain for a smaller class size, and unionized nurses can bargain for better patient care. Which is why I don't understand how the Republican party can be so intent on union-busting while still saying they are fighting for the middle-class.

What do you think?

Šistockphoto.com/fatihhoca

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
granitegal
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:02 AM

I've always been a fan of unions. My dad was in one for a long time and it was a huge help. My mom, on the other hand, worked for a monster boss and could have used he protection of a union.

lasombrs
by Sara on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:55 PM

I think the name is misleading. I lived in FL and that state is considered a "right to work" state and to them it means you can be fired at any time for almost little to no reason even if you have been with a company for 20 years. It means no job security and should in therory make people work harder to keep their jobs. But I was in a union when I worked for UPS there. I think unions are a good thing. I remember my father's coworker who he carpooled with being in the union at GE in Lynn as long as he worked there. He fought for many things for their workers. I dont really see a down side to them. I know corporations view them as costing them money but a happier worker does a better job and will in return earn the company more money then they spend due to the union, or at least I believe they would.

Karen_Dover
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:03 PM

I totally agree. And they probably have less turnover with the unions, as happy employees tend not to quit. I feel like the whole "it's not fair to make people pay union dues" thing is an excuse for large companies to try to bust up the unions. I'm pretty sure most employees make significantly more due to their unions and therefore don't mind forking over $20 or so a month.

Quoting lasombrs:

I think the name is misleading. I lived in FL and that state is considered a "right to work" state and to them it means you can be fired at any time for almost little to no reason even if you have been with a company for 20 years. It means no job security and should in therory make people work harder to keep their jobs. But I was in a union when I worked for UPS there. I think unions are a good thing. I remember my father's coworker who he carpooled with being in the union at GE in Lynn as long as he worked there. He fought for many things for their workers. I dont really see a down side to them. I know corporations view them as costing them money but a happier worker does a better job and will in return earn the company more money then they spend due to the union, or at least I believe they would.

mom_to_travis
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:51 PM

If the Koch brothers are for it, then I'm probably against it.  Doesn't get much more crooked than those two.

mom_to_travis
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:51 PM

I agree.  "Right to Work" does not match what they are trying to accomplish.

Quoting lasombrs:

mom_to_travis
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Agreed.  This is a very transparent attempt to break up unions.  How about they let employees decide if they are willling to pay union dues or not?  No one is being forced to join a union.

Quoting Karen_Dover:

I totally agree. And they probably have less turnover with the unions, as happy employees tend not to quit. I feel like the whole "it's not fair to make people pay union dues" thing is an excuse for large companies to try to bust up the unions. I'm pretty sure most employees make significantly more due to their unions and therefore don't mind forking over $20 or so a month.

Quoting lasombrs:

mom2jessnky
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:55 PM

I guess I have mixed feelings.

Do I think someone should be fired for no reason? NO of course not.

BUT I hate that because of things like tenure, crappy teachers are kept around because they've been there for so long. I want GOOD teachers to keep their jobs, I don't want someone employed because they're a fossil at the place. I want a teacher to stay good and caring, not pretend to care until tenure sets in and then Eff you kids! Not okay.

I have certain issues with unions too, I didn't appreciate being accosted by an Albertson's employee during their strike (YEARS ago) when I went in the store. He screamed things at me that I won't repeat. I had to get my WIC stuff at that store, sorry if my kid comes before some psycho jerk (oh wait...I'm not sorry for that).

AND when I was belittled and humiliated by an Albertson's employee, she wasn't fired for it, Neither was her manager who JOINED her in humiliating and belittling me, Why? UNIONS.

So I'm kinda against unions... I'm sure some people do get fired for no reason, and that sucks, but I've never worked a union job and I don't know of anyone that was fired for NO reason. The person may think it was for no reason but we don't generally see our own faults and shortcomings.

My bad experiences have shaped my opinions, I know this, BUT at the same time, I haven't had any experiences to reverse those opinions....sooooo...

jojobean558
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 4:42 PM
I'm a union but don't really agree with it on somethings. My job requires me to be in the union. Sometimes they don't help people that really need help, but i've noticed that some of the people that cause problems get more help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arpazia
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:56 PM
Yea, I hate that term. It's not a good thing to hear

Quoting lasombrs:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arpazia
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:57 PM
I like unions. I've heard the good and bad side from several people
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)