Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Hampshire Moms New Hampshire Moms

Well the sleep study was a bust :(

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:10 AM
  • 12 Replies

We kept him up all day and he fell asleep on the way. I was able to get him in the stroller and inside the room still asleep. It took us over an hour and a half but the very nice tech and I were able to hook all the wires up to him only having him stir a few times. Transfered him to bed and he slept for maybe 45 minutes to an hour. Then he woke up. He wakes up every 20 minutes or so usually every night so we expected this. But at home he usually moves around (think like a dog circling for the most comfortable spot) and goes back to sleep.

Only he got caught in the wires and freaked out. Finally noticing them for the first time and the new room, and the heat or a/s or whatever choose that moment to kick on as well and was sooooooo loud he starting screaming about ghosts. Total disaster. He started ripping at wires ans sensors. We thought if I bear huged him and tried to damage control he would fall back asleep in a few minutes.

Nope :/ I held a bucking bronco for 45 minutes. Then decided to cave to the dvd player I brought and put in some umizoomi for him. He calmed and allowed the tech to attach almost all the leads except the ones around his mouth and nose. But after an hour and a half and him still be wide awake with no signs of going back to sleep we called it ogg. They needed 6 hours of recorded test and it wasn't going to happen even if he fell back asleep instantly at that time so there was no point in staying.

He has a ton of glue in his hair :/ I havent tried to wash it out yet thats my adventure for the next hour. The man said really warm water will make it almost melt out but anything slightly above cold and ds screams how hot it is so that will be its own fun time :(

Pics of Cace mostly all hooked up. He was just missing the 6 sensors around his nose in these pictures.

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Crissy2424
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:33 AM

I'm sorry, but with what you have told us about him I didn't see it happening. I wish it would have. What's next?

jennient3
by Jennie on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:38 AM
Oh no, what is the next thing?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lasombrs
by Sara on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:39 AM

me either but a girl can hope lol And I thought getting them on would be the problem so when that went smoothly I had such high hopes :(

We have to keep trying until he can do it :/

Quoting Crissy2424:

I'm sorry, but with what you have told us about him I didn't see it happening. I wish it would have. What's next?

Crissy2424
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Maybe he will get used to it if you keep trying.

Quoting lasombrs:

me either but a girl can hope lol And I thought getting them on would be the problem so when that went smoothly I had such high hopes :(

We have to keep trying until he can do it :/

Quoting Crissy2424:

lasombrs
by Sara on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:42 AM

keep trying :/

and maybe just go ahead with surgery but both dh and I are not comfortable with that at all. but the sleep study was giving us more answers then just if we should do the T&A or not so either way it needs to be redone. the tech we saw said he has seen some kids more then 4 times :/

Quoting jennient3:

jennient3
by Jennie on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:43 AM
What surgery?
My son did his tonsils and adenoids and recovery sucked but he sleeps much better now

Quoting lasombrs:

and maybe just go ahead with surgery but both dh and I are not comfortable with that at all. but the sleep study was giving us more answers then just if we should do the T&A or not so either way it needs to be redone. the tech we saw said he has seen some kids more then 4 times :/

Quoting jennient3:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lasombrs
by Sara on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:50 AM

yeah thats it. He does poor with being put under, and also coughs to the point of throwing up 3 tiems a week (not from being sick, just a sensory thing he coughs once from a tickle in his throat and then just keeps doing it til he makes himself sick) which they worry may rip open the scars in his throat.  They aren't positive its sleep apnea or sezuires in his sleep (hence the study) t=so the T&A may not help his sleep at all and has only a 33% of putting his auto immune disease into remission for a few years. Its just not good enough odds on everything to make us want to jump into it :/

Quoting jennient3:

What surgery?
My son did his tonsils and adenoids and recovery sucked but he sleeps much better now

Quoting lasombrs:

Quoting jennient3:

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:09 PM

My youngest had a T&A just before his 5th b-day. He snored to beat the band, and he was up at least a dozen times a night, which the ENT said was from sleep apnea. I learned during this process that symptoms of sleep apnea mimic symptoms of ADHD.

What about applying the sensors when he's awake? or maybe letting him play with a "dummy set" and "practice" putting them on your head, his head something like that?

Just throwing thoughts out there, I'm not meaning to add to your stress.

My youngest woke up screaming from his anesthesia. In the recovery room and he screamed bloody murder every time they tried to take his BP for almost a complete 24hours after. He stayed almost 3 days in the hospital after. Because of his screaming and he wasn't eating..anything..

Quoting lasombrs:

yeah thats it. He does poor with being put under, and also coughs to the point of throwing up 3 tiems a week (not from being sick, just a sensory thing he coughs once from a tickle in his throat and then just keeps doing it til he makes himself sick) which they worry may rip open the scars in his throat.  They aren't positive its sleep apnea or sezuires in his sleep (hence the study) t=so the T&A may not help his sleep at all and has only a 33% of putting his auto immune disease into remission for a few years. Its just not good enough odds on everything to make us want to jump into it :/

Quoting jennient3:

What surgery?

Quoting lasombrs:

Quoting jennient3:

ckroch
by Colleen on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:29 PM
Poor thing! I bet that hit sensory overload.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:19 PM

How did getting the glue out of his hair go?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)