Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Hampshire Moms New Hampshire Moms

Insanely frustrated

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:48 PM
Amy
  • 8 Replies
We are having the hardest time with the baby at night. She will be 8 months old on Saturday. She sleeps all night once we get her to sleep. Getting her to sleep is not the problem, she falls asleep great if we are holding her or cuddling her. But the second we put her in her crib she freaks out and screams. We've tried to let her cry it out anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes and she continues to throw a fit. She doesn't have any medical problems that could be causing this. She's currently on antibiotics for an ear infection but that's it. We've tried everything as to bedtime routines: baths, books, bottles, singing, rocking. The only thing that shuts her up is picking her up and laying down with her. The only way for us to get sleep is for me to lay down and sleep with the baby and DH sleeps in our bed. He needs the sleep because he is working all the time and I'm home with the baby. I'm so exhausted and we are so frustrated and I really REALLY miss sleeping with my husband, not just the sex but sharing a bed with him. Ugh. Any thoughts or advice???
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
lillucky8
by Jen on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:15 PM
Does she sleep on you? Like belly to belly? Maybe shes a belly sleeper? Both of mine are
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmesCSki
by Amy on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:05 PM
She does sleep on her stomach, yes, when she's lying on us...but then the rare times she stays settled in her crib she will roll immediately onto her side. So one thing we do to try to keep her sleepy and relaxed when we put her down is keep her on her side but she usually turns right into her back and then the tantrum goes on. We are at a loss!

Quoting lillucky8:

Does she sleep on you? Like belly to belly? Maybe shes a belly sleeper? Both of mine are

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by Jen on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:11 PM
Is the sheet cold? Maybe warm up the bed a lil

Hmm...maybe get one of those heartbeat bears, or play music? Maybe put a shirt of yours in her bed?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by Jen on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:12 PM
Maybe start laying her down a lil awake and pat her bum and shh her? I dunno. Both of my kids love their beds, it took us 18 mos to get dd to sleep thru the night and go down easy, but i could put her down asleep :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jennient3
by Jennie on Dec. 7, 2012 at 6:40 AM
All of my kids preferred a back ground noise , air cleaners, radio, something.
How about naps? Will she go down for a nap easily? I would put mine in the crib with some. Noise and close the door and let them learn to sleep on their own. I did the butt pat thing too.
I did everything but pick them up. It may be tougher now cause of the ear infection.
Remaining consistent is the key.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lasombrs
by Sara on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:11 AM

yeah Danica does this still at 18 months. She goes down good the first time but wakes 2-3 times at night still and will only go back with me holding her. I don't think I have slept next to dh for 18 months between the two kids so I am not the person to give advice :/

Crissy2424
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Shauna cried a lot trying to put her to bed, but she'd sleep through the night. I never laid with her, but I think my problem was she wasn't tired enough even though we were lol I'd try the background noise, maybe a night light....I agree being consistent is the key. I don't know if I could start that during an ear infec though.

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:22 AM

It might be compounded by the ear infection. Maybe wait until she's over that...

My brother's oldest dd, used to cry SO hard when they put her down for bed, she'd make herself throwup. My kids used to cry when I put them down for naps, when I left the room. She's at an age where she knows that when you're gone...you're gone.

If you're goal is to get her to learn to fall asleep on her own, you have to be consistient and steadfast if you're going to do the cry it out method. It's not easy, but if you can stick with it, I've heard it works.

I also, am a BIG fan of white noise. Both my boys sleep with white noise, I do during the day and dh does as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)