Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Very interesting

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:46 AM
  • 13 Replies

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ckroch
by Colleen on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:47 AM
Same graph, but it posted twice?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by Jen on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:03 AM
Hmm. Interesting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Crissy2424
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:51 AM

wow. Those things can be made to look however the person wants them to.

rosemagic01
by Holli on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:32 AM

I'm going to have to agree with Crissy on this one so often everyone say's this or that is the leading cause to whatever they're talking about. It all depends on what study was done and by who and you can always find a way to make results lean in the direction you wish. While I'm not a fan of smokers majority of these things are bias. 

Quoting Crissy2424:

wow. Those things can be made to look however the person wants them to.

Crissy2424
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Exactly...depends how you space the numbers, what graph you use, etc.

RMT1995
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:39 PM

What year was this data from? I know it can't be for 2012, because no accurate data can be available since we're still in 2012. I went on the FBI's website to confirm what this chart is saying, and it said for 5 of the past 6 full years (again, not 2012 because they can't have complete data) that the top murder weapon was firearms. About 3/4th of the time or more.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2010/crime-in-the-u.s.-2010/tables/10shrtbl08.xls

Could you share the link to your source?

This chart also doesn't mention anything about suicide, which is now the number 1 cause of death cause by injury. And I'm fairly certain that a good chunk of those deaths are caused by self-inflicted gunshots.

I'm not for or against either stance. I'm seriously middle of the road. But extremists on both sides of the fence are doing no good with how they try to get across their message.

ckroch
by Colleen on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:51 PM
I saw it, and thought it was interesting. I don't know the year or exact source.
I would assume it was by pro-gun agency?

Quoting RMT1995:

What year was this data from? I know it can't be for 2012, because no accurate data can be available since we're still in 2012. I went on the FBI's website to confirm what this chart is saying, and it said for 5 of the past 6 full years (again, not 2012 because they can't have complete data) that the top murder weapon was firearms. About 3/4th of the time or more.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2010/crime-in-the-u.s.-2010/tables/10shrtbl08.xls

Could you share the link to your source?

This chart also doesn't mention anything about suicide, which is now the number 1 cause of death cause by injury. And I'm fairly certain that a good chunk of those deaths are caused by self-inflicted gunshots.

I'm not for or against either stance. I'm seriously middle of the road. But extremists on both sides of the fence are doing no good with how they try to get across their message.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RMT1995
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Yeah, that's kind of obvious :)

ckroch
by Colleen on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:13 PM
Here's a link to article from CDC- says homicides are not even on the list anymore.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-01-10/homicide-CDC-report/52498390/1

Quoting RMT1995:

Yeah, that's kind of obvious :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ckroch
by Colleen on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:14 PM
I'm mobile can't make it clicky
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)