Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Hampshire Moms New Hampshire Moms
Derry. Anyone live there? Pros? Cons?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:32 AM
Replies (31-39):
RMT1995
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:02 AM

I live in Derry. Taxes are higher because you're paying for the schools, which are rated fairly high. I bought my townhouse back at the height of the real estate market in 2005 and have never regretted it. But we do pay about $2800 per year for taxes on it.

I'm kind of chuckling about the crime comment because I've never experienced any. At ALL. And I don't live in the area of Derry that's considered "nice", I live closer to Londonderry, which some jokingly refer to as "the ghetto". (Sorry, but coming from where I grew up, I can't say any part of Derry is "ghetto" with a straight face.) Not to say there isn't any crime here! But crime isn't confined to one particular town.

xomrs.chase
by Sarah on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:02 AM
Ya the crime rate was below the national medium when I looked. Pinkerton is my goal

Quoting RMT1995:

I live in Derry. Taxes are higher because you're paying for the schools, which are rated fairly high. I bought my townhouse back at the height of the real estate market in 2005 and have never regretted it. But we do pay about $2800 per year for taxes on it.

I'm kind of chuckling about the crime comment because I've never experienced any. At ALL. And I don't live in the area of Derry that's considered "nice", I live closer to Londonderry, which some jokingly refer to as "the ghetto". (Sorry, but coming from where I grew up, I can't say any part of Derry is "ghetto" with a straight face.) Not to say there isn't any crime here! But crime isn't confined to one particular town.

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Derry, Hampstead, Chester...

and I guess now Auburn..(lol)

Quoting lillucky8:

They just took a contract with auburn so numbers are up, a friends dad is on the derry school board so im in the know lol

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Everything is cyclical..so maybe they've had a drop. They can usually project enrollement, with the students enrolled now at lower grades.

There are other towns that go to Pinkerton too..not just Derry.

Quoting xomrs.chase:

Yeah ds is only 13mo so we have a way to go, but with the recent issues with our condo our house hunting is becoming more serious. We want him to go to the same district all throughout- so we are looking at HS mainly. I will give them a call

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Oh without a doubt it does. But call, and ask about space. It's a super huge school, like 3000 students. So competitions to play sports is rather significant.

We were moving because of an over filled high school, so I wanted one with space.

Londonderry, schools are awesome as well. They have a wonderful reputation. It was my #1B (Pinkerton was #1A)...but the 3 houses I loved were either off the market or sold when we finally sold our MA house. That's how we ended up in Litchfield. Their high school is built for either 2000 or 2200 students and they were not near capacity 6 years ago.

Plaistow---over filled

Pinkerton---"busting at the seams"

Londonderry---no house

Hudson---reminded me too much of where I was leaving

Quoting xomrs.chase:

Lol pinkerton is our reason. It blows most other nh schools away.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Depends on what you're looking for. If it's schools, I can't tell you anything about the K-8. When we moved here 6 yrs ago, Pinkerton was on our list of schools, they were "busting at the seams" according to the Headmaster.

I've only seen the part that touches Londonderry...

lasombrs
by Sara on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:48 AM

We looked at Derry but thought everything seemed much more exspensive since its closer to MA. I got my tattoo done in Derry.... thats about it lol!

Crissy2424
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:16 PM

No idea, good luck!

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:23 PM

It's still run like a private school. It's public in the sense that it's open to the public, it's admissions process isn't private and there's no tuition.

Quoting lillucky8:

You dont pay perse but i believe thats why taxes are higher than neighboring towns, i could be wrong on that. I know you dont pay tuition. But they dont receive state funding, they run on donations etc, the new buildinga that were recently built were funded by donations only.

Quoting xomrs.chase:

So you pay to go there or? What does semi private mean?

Quoting lillucky8:

Im sure pinkertom has a website with more info. they are semi private so do not receive state funding. They have great programs there though, and derry school district is good as well imo. I went to hood middle school and pa, and my siblings went thru dvs, hood and pa. dh lived there his entire life as well

chicken13
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:33 AM

If you live in one of the contracted towns than you don't pay tuition. Your town does.  But you can also apply for admission without living in the town.  I believe THAT tuition is $8900 or so

xomrs.chase
by Sarah on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:40 AM
Not bad. My sister went to Tilton which is like $26k a year. She had a $10k scholarship

Quoting chicken13:

If you live in one of the contracted towns than you don't pay tuition. Your town does.  But you can also apply for admission without living in the town.  I believe THAT tuition is $8900 or so

chicken13
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Yeah...we're currently looking at derryfield...it's 28,000 . I'm really hoping we get some aid.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)