Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Hampshire Moms New Hampshire Moms
Derry. Anyone live there? Pros? Cons?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:32 AM
Replies (21-30):
xomrs.chase
by Sarah on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Thanks!! :) it will help with house hunting

Quoting lillucky8:

Derry, hampstead, auburn just signed a contract, chester i believe still does...i think thats it

Quoting xomrs.chase:

Do you know which ones?

We found some houses we could definitely afford on just Dh's income. That's a plus since I plan to return to work when ds starts school. If we can afford it with his- we'd be pretty well off when I start. The issue would be whether or not they transfer him south

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Everything is cyclical..so maybe they've had a drop. They can usually project enrollement, with the students enrolled now at lower grades.

There are other towns that go to Pinkerton too..not just Derry.

Quoting xomrs.chase:

Yeah ds is only 13mo so we have a way to go, but with the recent issues with our condo our house hunting is becoming more serious. We want him to go to the same district all throughout- so we are looking at HS mainly. I will give them a call

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Oh without a doubt it does. But call, and ask about space. It's a super huge school, like 3000 students. So competitions to play sports is rather significant.

We were moving because of an over filled high school, so I wanted one with space.

Londonderry, schools are awesome as well. They have a wonderful reputation. It was my #1B (Pinkerton was #1A)...but the 3 houses I loved were either off the market or sold when we finally sold our MA house. That's how we ended up in Litchfield. Their high school is built for either 2000 or 2200 students and they were not near capacity 6 years ago.

Plaistow---over filled

Pinkerton---"busting at the seams"

Londonderry---no house

Hudson---reminded me too much of where I was leaving

Quoting xomrs.chase:

Lol pinkerton is our reason. It blows most other nh schools away.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Depends on what you're looking for. If it's schools, I can't tell you anything about the K-8. When we moved here 6 yrs ago, Pinkerton was on our list of schools, they were "busting at the seams" according to the Headmaster.

I've only seen the part that touches Londonderry...

lillucky8
by Jen on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Auburn goes to pa. They used to accept five students a yr but this past yr now have a contract for all auburn students going to pa. Pa is pinkerton academy, sry...im an alum so i just assume the world knows what it means...head smack lol

Quoting xomrs.chase:

I saw one house online that was old- bit the estimated monthly payment for mortgage/ taxes was like $650 lol

Auburn goes there? Who else?

Quoting lillucky8:

I moved there is seventh grade and moved to manch when i moved from my parents but they still live there. I plan to move to auburn so my kids can go to pa. Great school! Taxes are really high in derry though
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by Jen on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Im sure pinkertom has a website with more info. they are semi private so do not receive state funding. They have great programs there though, and derry school district is good as well imo. I went to hood middle school and pa, and my siblings went thru dvs, hood and pa. dh lived there his entire life as well
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xomrs.chase
by Sarah on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:55 AM
So you pay to go there or? What does semi private mean?

Quoting lillucky8:

Im sure pinkertom has a website with more info. they are semi private so do not receive state funding. They have great programs there though, and derry school district is good as well imo. I went to hood middle school and pa, and my siblings went thru dvs, hood and pa. dh lived there his entire life as well
lillucky8
by Jen on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this
You dont pay perse but i believe thats why taxes are higher than neighboring towns, i could be wrong on that. I know you dont pay tuition. But they dont receive state funding, they run on donations etc, the new buildinga that were recently built were funded by donations only.

Quoting xomrs.chase:

Quoting lillucky8:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rosemagic01
by Holli on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:04 AM

One of the highest in the state. We looked for houses there. 

Quoting xomrs.chase:

My dad is an electrician :)

House prices aren't bad! I wonder what taxes are like

Quoting whooperz:

My husband wants to move to derry as well. He's an electrician and has worked on some beautiful homes there.

xomrs.chase
by Sarah on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Yowza ya I looked at one property... the taxes were almost as much as the mortgage!! But if we got a house for $90/100k we could afford it. There are a few... old- but I can work with that lol

Quoting lillucky8:

You dont pay perse but i believe thats why taxes are higher than neighboring towns, i could be wrong on that. I know you dont pay tuition. But they dont receive state funding, they run on donations etc, the new buildinga that were recently built were funded by donations only.

Quoting xomrs.chase:

Quoting lillucky8:

fullxbusymom
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Not a fan.  Schools aren't the best.  Tons of crime and way to much rentals.  I recommend Bedford if you are basing your looking on school systems.  Bedford rates #5th in the entire US for schools and was just named a Blue Ribbon School.

xomrs.chase
by Sarah on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:51 PM
I don't think I can afford Bedford :(

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Not a fan.  Schools aren't the best.  Tons of crime and way to much rentals.  I recommend Bedford if you are basing your looking on school systems.  Bedford rates #5th in the entire US for schools and was just named a Blue Ribbon School.

jojobean558
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:10 PM
1 mom liked this
This is alittle further away from there but Barrington
Will be building a brand new high school with in the
Next two years. My DD goes to the middle school and i think the school system is pretty good so far
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN