Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Hampshire Moms New Hampshire Moms

Kids and tv

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:16 PM
  • 11 Replies

How much tv do you let your kids watch?

You can only imagine how this horrible topic came up....but I was wondering how weird I am.

dd is 12... And we have a firm rule...no tv on school nights.  At all.  Ever.  That's what TiVo is for.

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AmesCSki
by Amy on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:37 PM
I fully support your rule! My daughter is only 10 months old and we plan to definitely restrict her TV viewing as she gets older. Once in a very great while if I absolutely have to get something done or make an important call I'll plop the baby on the floor in front of Sesame Street for a little while but I always feel guilty ha ha.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chicken13
by Group Admin on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:52 PM

It's not a guilt thing.  I don't mind if dd watches tv...it's just...we have better things that need to get done first.  And I'd rather she read to fall asleep....then get addicted to falling asleep with the TV on like her mom.  

RMT1995
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:04 PM

My daughter is just about 8 and we've never really had any rules regarding the TV. And now, I'm happy to say, she can take it or leave it. She doesn't really care for technology LOL She got a DS for Xmas in 2011 and I think she's used it maybe five times total. She's more likely to be found in her room (where she has a TV and DVD player, but no cable) doing a craft with no TV on.

lillucky8
by Jen on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:09 PM
My dd is two. She watches tv and plays for a bit in the morning when she wakes up usually its on in the background until morning nap..she loves mickey mouse and doc mcstuffins, then i try to have it off for the day until after bath. But dh is a major problem with this and cant seem to live without electronics so its a touchy topic. Then before bed she goes up to her room and reads for ten min to settle down.before bed.

I plan to keep it limited, as the weather gets nicer we watch less and less because we are outside as much as possible, sometimes its hard and i admit this winter and since ive had ds we have all watched a lil too much tv but im working on it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rosemagic01
by Holli on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:38 PM

I don't restrict it unless he's had a really bad day at school. He can watch a half hour after school with a snack and then home work and dinner are after that. Once in a blue moon he will watch a show after dinner but he's more interested in playing and doing his own thing. He likes it on though even if he's not watching it. He can't stand a quiet room and neither can I. If I don't have the tv on pandora is playing. On weekends he probably does watch a bit more but not enough that it concerns anything. He can't sit still so 'watching' isn't ever a problem.

jennient3
by Jennie on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:53 PM
I never felt the need to restrict the tv
But it's a completely different story with the computers.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lasombrs
by Sara on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:04 PM

We dont have a rule but the kids are little. We also dont have cable only netflix. so the kids watch stuff off and on all day when i am trying to cook or clean and if i put a movie on at night they both fall asleep instantly lol. I am bad and like it for background noise. ds will always stop to do his homework though and both of them are never really ever sitting down watching it

chicken13
by Group Admin on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Ah yes, computers.  

Electronic communication devices are not allowed up the stairs...and since our downstairs is basically wide open...there's nowhere to hide.

and yes, we had to expand the computer definition because basically everything has some sort of chat app. Grrrr.  

Quoting jennient3:

Crissy2424
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:35 PM

I will start by saying this...when my dd was a baby I vowed to wait as long as possible before she got into TV (at all). I didn't really do the baby einstein thing. We sorta tried it, but she wasn't crazy about it. 

As she got older and I was still trying to have my 'me' time I fell into the watch-some-tv-while-I-do-stuff thing. I dug  myself out of that. So for a year-ish she was allowed 1 or 2 episodes of something as long as it was education based.

At almost 4 she is allowed an episode or two once in a great while. Lately, my DH has been doing 3rd shift and I work mid shift. So on one morning when he really needs sleep she watches for maybe 30 minutes until he wakes up. Even then, she can't stand to just sit there and (from what DH says) she is up and about coloring or playing with barbies. 

So because we limit her tv a lot she has learned to go and do other things to keep herself entertained. She did that even as a baby. Obviously we play lots of stuff with her, but I have made it a point to not turn the TV on unless we absolutely have to. I am just not a big TV fan and I don't mind if that rubs off onto my daughter.

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:00 AM

Never had to restrict TV either, or computers..my kids used the stupid wifi with their ipods...so I'd take those away..but by then they were driving so I'd revoke that.

The xbox, I'd love to run over with my car.

Quoting jennient3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN