Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Hampshire Moms New Hampshire Moms

Movies alone?

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:56 PM
  • 9 Replies

Ok.  I seem to be out of line on so many issues....uggghhhh.

dd wanted to see Safe Haven on opening day.  I hate going to movie theaters but she enjoys it.  So I told her why don't you see if some of your friends want to go.  I'll happily pick up and drop off.  (And she's using her own money).

well....apparently...I'm insane to even think about letting my daughter and her friends go to a 3:30 movie.  

One mother said her daughter could go.  No problem there.  Another mom said not on a school night.  Again, I have no issue with that. 

The third mother said I was insane.  Then her daughter begged her to go, and she invited herself along.  So now I've got my dd, another woman's dd and this mom and her dd going.  But I wasn't going to go.  So I ended up getting bullied into going with this woman.

To add insult to injury, my dd gets up halfway through the movie to use the bathroom.  The woman turns to me and says aren't you going with her? Um, no!  Then she tells me she'd never let her daughter do that.  Ok.  Good for you.

Thank goodness it was a good movie. Grrrrr

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
ckroch
by Colleen on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Geez- how old are they?
I probably let my dd be more independent that I should..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lasombrs
by Sara on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:39 PM

depends on age and the area i guess. I think my ds will be a special case but dd i probably would or i would want ds to take her with them. i know i used to go by myself when i was younger.

and i hate group bathroom visits :/ I may stand in the hallway if i thought they couldn't find their way back but yeah i dont like people coming with me, i wouldnt go with others

Crissy2424
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Depends on age. It is also hard imagining your kid going to the bathroom themselves in a public setting when you are used to having to be dragged along when they were really young, ya know? Sometimes it is hard to let your kid go anywhere alone, especially in a society where there are lots of kidnappings, pedifiles, shootings, etc. I get both sides of this issue.

jennient3
by Jennie on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:22 AM
How old are they? I know with me with my first teen things we hard to do and let him have that freedom
But with the second I find it even easier
By the third god knows lol

But I've done that, I've even dropped them off places and not stayed..gasp.... Lol
I can even admit I let my son sleep over his girlfriends house at the age of 14. In another room of course but it was because her parents offered it cause they were all going somewhere in the morning like at 5 am

I know it's a scary world out there but we can't live in a bubble
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rosemagic01
by Holli on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:38 AM

It would depend on the ages of children on how I would feel. 

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:08 AM

When my boys were 8th grade, they were going to movies with friends. But the movie theater isn't more than 20 min from the house.

Going to the bathroom alone, is a sticky thing with kids.

lillucky8
by Jen on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:17 AM
I guess it would depend on age.

I went to plenty of movies with just my friends.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chicken13
by Group Admin on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:04 AM

I agree it's an age thing.  But we're talking 13 year olds. 

rosemagic01
by Holli on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:34 AM

13 year old...would depend on maturity of the child as well then. If I knew I could trust my 13 year old to act well and the movie was age approperiate then I wouldn't have an issue. A friend of mine when we were 12 went to see a movie together while her mom went and saw a different movie. We sat had lots of popcorn and candy and had a great time feeling like 'grown ups' it was great we got a great confidence boost in knowing how trusted we were. We were well behaved and there was no problems. I don't see anything wrong with it. If I had an immature child though I would probably feel a bit different but I think most 13 year olds are good. 

Quoting chicken13:

I agree it's an age thing.  But we're talking 13 year olds. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN