Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Hampshire Moms New Hampshire Moms

Higher Speed Limits in NH

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:31 AM
  • 15 Replies

Three new bills dealing with speed limits in the Granite State are heading to the state House.

The first bill recommends increasing interstate speed limits to 70 mph, while the second bill recommends 75 mph. The third bill is asking for 65 to 70 mph, but only on Interstate 93, just north of Concord to the Vermont border.

Of the three, the bill to raise the speed limit north of Concord is getting a lot of support, officials said.

"The committee felt like (70 to 75 mph on the interstate system is) not safe. We felt that was too broad of a stroke, and we voted that down," said Candace Bouchard, chairwoman of the House Transportation Committee.

The third bill is excluding the stretch through Franconia Notch, which would remain at 55 mph.

"The committee felt that was more appropriate that the road was designed for 70 mph (since) the traffic isn't as heavy on that stretch of the highway," said Bouchard.

Sen. Andy Sanborn is supporting the third bill.

"Virtually everyone is driving 70 mph today, and with cars being so much safer, I ask the question, 'Why shouldn’t we?'" said Sanborn.

Sanborn said many of his constituents agree with the bill.

"An overwhelming majority of people, when you say, 'Should we raise the speed limit to 70 outside the urban area?' Virtually every person thinks it's a good idea because they are all going 70 mph today," said Sanborn.

The House will take up the bills Wednesday, and if passed, officials said it will go into effect January 2014.

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/N-H-to-see-higher-speed-limits/-/9857858/19161074/-/5wxqke/-/index.html#ixzz2MYtQuuIW

Is there one that you would rather see over another or do you think they all are a bad idea?

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rosemagic01
by Holli on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:32 AM

Honestly I say leave it where it is. =\ I'm cranky though. Being on some roads scare me. I really hope that if they do it though 93 between Manchester and the MA boarder does not get this higher speed limit. That road is a nightmare and a death trap. So many accidents on it every year no reason to add more! 

chicken13
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:16 AM

I'd love it if they increased 101. I'm on it constantly and am usually going 70 to 75 anyways.

lasombrs
by Sara on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:00 AM

I dont drive up north much, and going into Boston most people are alredy going 75+ so I just think less people will be pulled over. I dont think it will change how safe or unsafe the roads are

jennient3
by Jennie on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:53 AM
I tell you up north this way everyone does 70 in good weather . There is no traffic and everyone drives very courteous here. I think after exit 15 the rest of the way up its ok.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
fullxbusymom
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Please I hope they do.

AidanCamsMom
by Amanda on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:29 AM

I don't know. Just seems if everyone is going above the speed limit now, increasing it will just have people going that much faster.

ckroch
by Colleen on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:57 AM
The speed limit in tn was 70 or75. It was kinda hard to get used to
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmesCSki
by Amy on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:26 PM
In parts where it'd be safe I am all for this! The speed limit out west was 75 and even 80 in some parts and I didn't mind it at all. It made sense given the long open roads. It was hard to get used to slower speed limits when we moved back here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by Jen on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:37 PM
I think 55 on highways is just too slow, like they are just trying to fulfil needs for tickets, but im not sure 75 is really a safe limit either bc then ppl will be doing 80-85
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Mar. 5, 2013 at 5:25 AM

I think increasing the speeds isn't a bad idea..however I think it would be safe when they finish the expansion of RT 93 and all 3 lanes are open.

But then again, I get tailgated at 70. Even at 75.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)