Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Hampshire Moms New Hampshire Moms

Stay at home mom vs. work??

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:56 AM
  • 17 Replies

Are any of you mom's out there stay at home mom's???

If so how did you decide to take that route? Financially it's hard to decide what is the best way.

Pros/cons??

Hope everyone had a great weekend. Soooo looking forward to this summer weather with family. We are boaters and am looking forward to some time on the sandbar!!!

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AmesCSki
by Amy on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:09 AM
I stay home with my daughter. She just turned one. I always said when I had kids I would stay home at least for a little while. I miss working very much--I'm an attorney by education and practiced law for only 2 years before having my daughter. Given the amount of my law school loans I really shouldn't be at home! But also the job market is tough--there are very few jobs in northern Mass and even fewer in southern NH. I look off and on but haven't been too serious about the job search yet.
We are lucky in that DH makes enough money for me to stay home but it also takes sacrifice..like we don't get to go out and have dates very much (it's been about 6 months!) and we've not been able to finish furnishing our house.
But we make it work and I consider myself very lucky to be able to be home with my little one and experience the early years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chicken13
by Group Admin on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:50 AM

What works for one family won't necessarily work for yours. 

I stay home.  My dd is 13 and I worked until she was 5.  I had a successful career and we lived in NJ, suburb town off the NYC line.  We wanted more of our time back.  Dh works long hours, I worked long hours...it was crazy.

in order to make it work, we sold our house and moved to NH.  

ssunshine360
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:10 AM

I continued working after my son was born in '04 but I became a SAHM when I was pregnant with my twin girls in '07. We are fortunate we could afford it and I cannot imagine the insanity if I had tried going back to work that first year, especially with the health problems one of the girls had. My youngest is 9 months and I am starting the path towards some part time work. One baby is a breeze compared to two at once!

lillucky8
by Jen on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:12 AM
I worked fulltime plus per diem before kids and after dd was born.bc i had ti carry insurance. Right after ds was born dhs new job picked up the insurance, so now i dont have to do that. I planned to go back three days a week but my mom is no longer able to watch the kids so im home during the week and i work both jobs on the wknds, average 10-15 hrs a wknd. Id love to work more to make things easier financially but thankfully dhs job pays the bills now thank goodness.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xomrs.chase
by Sarah on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:54 PM
Im a sahm

I worked full time as a direct support provider for adults with disabilities until ds was born. On leave I realized my pay would pretty much go to daycare. It just didn't make sense. While I was deciding, my position became unavailable anyway hahaha

Money is tight but we make it work.
ckroch
by Colleen on Apr. 30, 2013 at 3:16 PM
I'm on mat leave- when I go back- it'll be 2 days a week. I also go to school full time online and the Army pays me for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rembrandt2186
by Jes on Apr. 30, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I am a SAHM to my two kids, but I also do Book Consulting on the side. I just started, so hopefully it will start to kick in and I can get more out of it. 

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers 

Crissy2424
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:54 PM

That sounds fun! (the boating). I am a working mom because we would not be able to pay bills if one of us stayed home. I believe in one parent working full time and the other working part time at the vary least.

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:52 PM

I've always worked. I took my 12 weeks after my 1st, and went back to work at 24 or 28 hours..(I can't remember..lol it was 18 years ago.)..

When I had my 2nd, I had been in a car accident, broke my leg rather badly and was out of work on long term disablity for 13mos. I gave birth with an external fixator on...But ultimately went back to the same hours I did after my 1st..(either 24 or 28).

I always worked around my dh's schedule. At the time he had 1 day off during the week and then Sunday. So I'd work either the night going into his weekday off, or a day shift on his weekday off. Sundays I usually worked day shift. We couldn't swing daycare, partly for money, but primarily because we each worked weekends and holidays, and there's no daycare during those times, so we'd be scrambling for babysitting. One of us was always with the boys, if the other was working.

When we moved to NH, I had to up my hours from 24 to 36. By the time I had to do that the boys were 6th and 8th grades. Most of my hours were weekend hours so I was always home for the boys, plus dh was an I.D. for Archway cookies and didn't work Fridays. So again, one of us was always home.

My youngest is a jr in high school, he's gotta learn at this point to get his arse outta bed on his own...lol..

AidanCamsMom
by Amanda on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:26 PM

I am a SAHM to 3 (soon to be 4) kids. Anything I made working would go toward daycare. DH makes enough for me to stay at home with the kids. Things are a little tight sometimes, but we make it work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)