Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Hampshire Moms New Hampshire Moms

Stay at home mom vs. work??

Posted by   + Show Post

Are any of you mom's out there stay at home mom's???

If so how did you decide to take that route? Financially it's hard to decide what is the best way.

Pros/cons??

Hope everyone had a great weekend. Soooo looking forward to this summer weather with family. We are boaters and am looking forward to some time on the sandbar!!!

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:56 AM
Replies (11-17):
jojobean558
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:31 PM
I work full time, my DH Is a stay at home dad. He's disabled and can't find a job he can do. I'm kinds jealous that he gets to spend more time with our DD but we wouldn't be able to pay all the bills without me working.
newmom218
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 7:55 AM
We considered all the options of whether my paycheck would go straight to daycare and the benefits of staying home with our daughter. It makes more sense to work and full time 40 hours but makes it difficult because I would love to try and stay home for the first year at least. But due back to work in a new position in just 3 weeks I'm sad and not looking forward to it.
jennient3
by Jennie on May. 1, 2013 at 8:07 AM
I was a SAHM for 16 years. It was tight but we did it, I was raised by baby sitters and did not want that for my children. I did not want someone else raising them. I was the constant in their lives. I made it to school field trips and concerts. I went to all the basketball games.
But now that I can I work for my husband. My kids are now 18, 17, 14 and 10. I am lucky though cause when the kids have school vacations I get to stay with them . When they are sick he understands and I stay with them. I am very lucky.
newmom218
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Of my sisters with kids. 1 is a single mother and has done a great job raising my niece. She had to work so my niece was in daycare and learned a lot from the wonderful caregivers. Smart and energetic and hasn't showed any behavoir that she missed out on something from not being at home with her mom. My other sister has 2 boys and works part time every other weekend nights. She is home all week with them and the boys have also learned a lot from her. She was there for all their firsts and is able to do a lot with them. Home for vacations when they start school. Home if they are sick. But has to give up every other weekend which makes getting together with extended family harder because she wants to do familythings on her weekends off. Which is totally understandable. So I've seen pros and cons to both. Just makes it difficult to look into the future that I'll be a working mom trying to figure out who picks her up when sick. and which one if any can do a school vacation. 

lillucky8
by Jen on May. 1, 2013 at 9:00 AM
Ive done both, worked fulltime, luckily dd was w my mom or my check would have just gone to daycare. I think we did okay, i know i missed some things but my mom saw them so it was okay, being home now and seeing ds grow so much im thankful im able to be here. I do get antzy being home so much, my personality is just not that of a sahm but we make it work. Being a mom is a hard job all on its own! :)

Quoting newmom218:

Of my sisters with kids. 1 is a single mother and has done a great job raising my niece. She had to work so my niece was in daycare and learned a lot from the wonderful caregivers. Smart and energetic and hasn't showed any behavoir that she missed out on something from not being at home with her mom. My other sister has 2 boys and works part time every other weekend nights. She is home all week with them and the boys have also learned a lot from her. She was there for all their firsts and is able to do a lot with them. Home for vacations when they start school. Home if they are sick. But has to give up every other weekend which makes getting together with extended family harder because she wants to do familythings on her weekends off. Which is totally understandable. So I've seen pros and cons to both. Just makes it difficult to look into the future that I'll be a working mom trying to figure out who picks her up when sick. and which one if any can do a school vacation. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fullxbusymom
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Ww decided when I was only working enough to pay daycare.

newmom218
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I think it may be revisited if it comes to that same situation.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN