Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Hampshire Moms New Hampshire Moms

Good News Today

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:47 PM
  • 8 Replies

Progress Progress Progress!

Not sure how many know but my son has what we thought was Sensory Processing Disorder. We're not certain he has it though due to the fact that reflexes called the primitive reflexes were never triggered. These are things that should have been triggered with birth and there after. Liam's however never did not a single one.

Today DS Occupational therapist said that she's finally seeing results! He's now surpassed 2 of the primitive reflexes that needed to be triggered and the 3rd is almost there! She gave us a bunch of new exercises to do to push forward on the next ones. After a few months of therapy (he had gone else where most of last year with very little progress) his teacher at school is also thrilled with his in class progress as well. Not just with school work but with his attention span, ability to sit and carry on a conversation of the same topic and answer questions. She's known him for two years now (last year she was his reading teacher) and says he's a completely different kid than the one she knew in kinder.

We're hoping he flies through the rest of the reflexes and hope that all sensory things then disappear with them so we can put full and total focus on his speech issues. If not we'll keep him in OT to continue to work on his sensory issues but mostly the ones that are issues are resolving and once she gets past these I think she's going to start on the food issues he has. (a lot of textures make him gag or puke) So a while longer with OT but progress! It is good! 

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
AmesCSki
by Amy on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Yay!!!! That's great!! I hope he keeps up the good work!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Macksmom2006
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:57 PM

That's awesome you have a great OT....ours is the same absolutely wonderful. Hope he keeps up the good work

rosemagic01
by Holli on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:03 PM

I loved his first OT but she wasn't really educated on the PR so it made it difficult plus he was only going every few weeks because our schedule and hers always seemed to conflict. After last summer of him only seeing her a hand full of times in all those weeks we decided to move on. While we miss our old OT I really enjoy our new one and how much he's truly changed in the last few months. He used to be a spaz (for lack of a better word) he's so much better now. I'm so grateful to her and so proud of his progress. Its important to have a great therapist! I'm glad you love yours too!

Quoting Macksmom2006:

That's awesome you have a great OT....ours is the same absolutely wonderful. Hope he keeps up the good work

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Wonderful news!!!! YAY!!!!
Glad to hear he's making progress!!
chicken13
by Group Admin on May. 1, 2013 at 6:16 AM
1 mom liked this

That's so wonderful.  Great news!

xomrs.chase
by Sarah on May. 1, 2013 at 6:53 AM
1 mom liked this
That's so great! Yay!!
jennient3
by Jennie on May. 1, 2013 at 8:16 AM
That's great!! Alex now just does physical therapy, he completed many goals. But the pt is not moving along well.
The food thing is tricky
We did an experiment with his ot
First he had to smell something. Everyday for a week
Then he had to kiss it for a week
Then lick it
Then just put it in his mouth for a few seconds

Then try to chew

It didn't go far

But I may start trying it again at home through the summer

But I'm do happy for you both!!
rosemagic01
by Holli on May. 1, 2013 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this

With his last therapist its where she made the most progress. She focused on that for a good 2 months or so. She was a little more aggressive though he had to smell it and lick it right away. If he could tolerate that he had to take a tiny bite. The problem was she focused only on crunchy stuff which is fine and all. He'll now eat apples and carrots and a few other crunchy veggies but he still won't go near peas, strawberries, banana's, grapes or green beans or anything that is sorta crunchy/squishy. 

I'm not sure when this OT is going to address it but like you said this summer will be a good oppertunity. We hit the farm stands a ton in the summers and get tons of fresh things for the gliders. I want to try him on more fresh home grown stuff see if that helps especially with fruits as they'll be more sweet smelling than say strawberries that have been semi frozen and shipped across the country and have absolutely no smell and hardly any taste. I'm also going to try and encourage him I think by doing some of those 'pick you own' places this year. Maybe the oppertunity to get pick his own will help encourage it? We'll see. Sorry this turned into more of my thought process than a reply.

Best of luck to you this summer! I hope you see some more progress.

Quoting jennient3:

That's great!! Alex now just does physical therapy, he completed many goals. But the pt is not moving along well.
The food thing is tricky
We did an experiment with his ot
First he had to smell something. Everyday for a week
Then he had to kiss it for a week
Then lick it
Then just put it in his mouth for a few seconds

Then try to chew

It didn't go far

But I may start trying it again at home through the summer

But I'm do happy for you both!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN