Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

girl talk...periods..AF, whatever you call it TMI

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 2:02 PM
  • 19 Replies

I wanted to talk periods. I have always had heavy flows, that are out of control. I am on a pill. A different one that is not with estrogen, well, because of my age. But anyhow, so many friends have been telling me about these cups you use instead of tampons.

So, I finally found them. They are interesting. I got mine today, and the funny thing is AF is due any day. I was curious if anyone has ever used them.

My friend swears you bleed alot less than you think you do, plus that with these cups, you can have sex with them. 

I know my initial response was oh yuck, no way

but I am going to give it a shot. 

Plus another issue I have is that on a heavy day I can barely wear a tampon for 45 minutes, but supposedly with these cups, you can have 12 hours. 

So, has anyone ever given these a shot?

by on May. 1, 2013 at 2:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rosemagic01
by Holli on May. 1, 2013 at 2:28 PM

I have not. I have read one of the funniest stories I've ever read in my life about them though. I seriously was sobbing by the end because I was laughing so hard. I'm not sure that I would ever try them though I'm just too squimish and sorta get an upset stomach just going to the bathroom much less touching anything. 

Then again I had 2 periods last year. *shrug* I don't have to deal with it too often I think it makes me more sensitive to it. 

Best of luck though! I did see a post in mom confessions the other day about how much people love it. 

lillucky8
by Jen on May. 1, 2013 at 2:30 PM
Nope, ive heard of them but never used them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Macksmom2006
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Which one??. I use diva cup and OMG I wish I knew about them years ago!!! No more migraines, yeast infections and cramps and my flow went from 7 days to 4days!!! Practice before yougrt AF and I put mine in the night before she's due no more mess

chicken13
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 3:02 PM

I tried the diva cup a while back.  I have very heavy periods, ever since dd.  like super plus tampon for maybe an hour...so I know what you mean.  I figured what the hell I'd give anything a try.

Lets see....they're a little weird at first.  A bit messier than tampons.  If you're out and about and need to empty, it's a bit awkward cause you need to rinse and then reinsert.  So a bit of a back and forth to the stall.  I could go a bit longer than a tampon, but I never got what they claim.  And they tend to leak, at least they did for me, so you always needed backup, just in case.  

I probably used it for a year...maybe longer...and then just ditched it.  It wasn't saving me any hassles.

on the bright side, you don't need to buy tampons!

jennient3
by Jennie on May. 1, 2013 at 7:34 PM

they say it shouldnt leak, unless you arent putting it in right. Also you should not feel it, if you do its not in right.

I tried it before so I had an idea what to expect

I was suprised I didnt feel it

Quoting chicken13:

I tried the diva cup a while back.  I have very heavy periods, ever since dd.  like super plus tampon for maybe an hour...so I know what you mean.  I figured what the hell I'd give anything a try.

Lets see....they're a little weird at first.  A bit messier than tampons.  If you're out and about and need to empty, it's a bit awkward cause you need to rinse and then reinsert.  So a bit of a back and forth to the stall.  I could go a bit longer than a tampon, but I never got what they claim.  And they tend to leak, at least they did for me, so you always needed backup, just in case.  

I probably used it for a year...maybe longer...and then just ditched it.  It wasn't saving me any hassles.

jennient3
by Jennie on May. 1, 2013 at 7:35 PM

I put it in before out of curiousity

I think i did it right cause I didnt feel it

Im excited to give it a try 

Quoting Macksmom2006:

Which one??. I use diva cup and OMG I wish I knew about them years ago!!! No more migraines, yeast infections and cramps and my flow went from 7 days to 4days!!! Practice before yougrt AF and I put mine in the night before she's due no more mess

xomrs.chase
by Sarah on May. 1, 2013 at 7:37 PM
No. Lol I pad it up. Super heavy flow... insane cramps.. im not worried about sex during AF lol

Update when you try it?
chicken13
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2013 at 6:09 AM

Yup.  I know what they say.  Maybe I'm deformed or incompetent.  Lol

Quoting jennient3:

they say it shouldnt leak, unless you arent putting it in right. Also you should not feel it, if you do its not in right.

I tried it before so I had an idea what to expect

I was suprised I didnt feel it

Quoting chicken13:

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on May. 2, 2013 at 6:16 AM

When I got my periods I have horrible heavy flows..if the cup was around I would have tried it.

11 years ago, I had fibroids. From August to May. The only thing that stopped the bleeding was putting my on a new BCP. In April, I bled reallllllly bad, my blood count feel super low. In that 10mo period, I had 4 D&C's. Finally in June I had a partial hys. So I've not had a period for 11 years.

Do NOT miss it. I feel for you with the heavy flows..that was me..and nasty, nasty cramps!!! From what the girls have said here, the cup sounds like a God-send! Hope it works for you!!

xomrs.chase
by Sarah on May. 2, 2013 at 6:24 AM
Yikes!
I have a fiberoid... :-/ it blocks my cervix almost completely. They were worried about it rupturing during pregnancy/ birth. Its what landed me at Dartmouth for my scheduled c section.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

When I got my periods I have horrible heavy flows..if the cup was around I would have tried it.

11 years ago, I had fibroids. From August to May. The only thing that stopped the bleeding was putting my on a new BCP. In April, I bled reallllllly bad, my blood count feel super low. In that 10mo period, I had 4 D&C's. Finally in June I had a partial hys. So I've not had a period for 11 years.

Do NOT miss it. I feel for you with the heavy flows..that was me..and nasty, nasty cramps!!! From what the girls have said here, the cup sounds like a God-send! Hope it works for you!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)