Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gymnastics

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 5:34 PM
  • 14 Replies

Was anyone here involved in gymnastics or have had their children participate in it?  I always did team sports when I was younger until after I graduated high school and got into running and personal fitness.  Somehow my 5 year old girls decided they wanted to try gymnastics.  Where do kids get these ideas?  I am not sure I ever talked to them about gymnastics or saw it on tv with them. Their father was (still is) hoping they eventually try hockey like their older brother.

anyway....

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  What am I potentially getting myself into in the years to come?  I have already met a couple super crazy mothers who have their children enrolled.  They rival some of the obsessed hockey parents I have met and some hockey parents can be realllllly obsessed.

by on May. 24, 2013 at 5:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ckroch
by Colleen on May. 24, 2013 at 5:39 PM
Dd did gymnastics.. Till she went to school. Then she preferred school sports
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ssunshine360
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Caitlyn and Chloe are enjoying it for now.  It is the first major activity that is all their own so I want to support them as best I can.  Part of me hopes that they eventually choose like your daughter did.  Time will tell!

Quoting ckroch:

Dd did gymnastics.. Till she went to school. Then she preferred school sports

Crissy2424
by on May. 24, 2013 at 6:21 PM

My daughter is 4 and has been doing gymnastics for about a month. She was hesitant at first, but loves it now. They just stretch, run around and under a big parachute and they jump on mini trampolines. She loves it!

rosemagic01
by Holli on May. 24, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Liam did for a while. He loved it and we did classes at the YMCA. We stopped though due to his OT telling us she rathered him not be in any sports at the time being but we hope to be able to bring him back soon.

I know there's a few places in NH. I think there's a place in Bedford thats big but I don't know the name. Google would be your friend on this one.

jennient3
by Jennie on May. 24, 2013 at 6:37 PM
I'm not sure where you are but I know of a place called top gun gymnastics in Plymouth

There's another in Laconia

Just google and see what's near you

chicken13
by Group Admin on May. 24, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Dd did gymnastics from about 3 til she was 5.  We had to stop for medical reasons.

but she loved it. 

ssunshine360
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Thank you for the replies.  They have already been taking classes at a center in Methuen, MA over the state line from Salem.

We also took them to a couple gymnastic competitions at UNH this past year.  After the events were over the members of the UNH women's team did a meet and greet and some basic skills lessons.  Their father was not thrilled about going to a gymnastic event but I made him go to the second one.  He came back a changed man on the subject after seeing his daughters so captivated by it.

Mostly I am wondering how involved the lifestyle is if they decide to stick with it long term, the kind of commitment it would mean for the family.  We are already a hockey family and that can mean strange times of day for practices and long travel to other ice rinks. 

chicken13
by Group Admin on May. 24, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Frankly, it seems like all the sports, dance, whatever are unbelievably over the top for children now a days.  And younger than you would imagine.

Quoting ssunshine360:

Thank you for the replies.  They have already been taking classes at a center in Methuen, MA over the state line from Salem.

We also took them to a couple gymnastic competitions at UNH this past year.  After the events were over the members of the UNH women's team did a meet and greet and some basic skills lessons.  Their father was not thrilled about going to a gymnastic event but I made him go to the second one.  He came back a changed man on the subject after seeing his daughters so captivated by it.

Mostly I am wondering how involved the lifestyle is if they decide to stick with it long term, the kind of commitment it would mean for the family.  We are already a hockey family and that can mean strange times of day for practices and long travel to other ice rinks. 

143myboys9496
by Suzzanne on May. 24, 2013 at 9:35 PM

My only advice, would be not to over commit. We limited the boys to 1 team. We saw SO many conflicts, that 1 team would loose out. We felt it wasn't fair.

Mine played town sports, longer.  Once they got into high school Richie did a year of baseball, Matt did a half a season of football (he stopped playing when he got a concussion)

lillucky8
by Jen on May. 25, 2013 at 2:04 AM
Im no help, my 2.5 just started pre ballet in manchester, gymnastics wouldnt take that early and were alot more expensive
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)