Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*sigh* new symptom or caused by new meds?

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:34 AM
  • 14 Replies
I already called and left a message the second the phone lines switched over this morning, so this is more of a vent then actual question while I wait for them to call back.

So last week we brought ds to the new neurologist because if the migraines. They gave him a new daily med and said someone would call to schedule the sedated MRI in ICU. (They haven't yet by the way). So for the last three days ds says his "legs hurts and he doesn't know how to walk". I take that to mean they are asleep, numb, pins and needles whatever. He stumbles around and if he want to go somewhere far needs to be carried.

This is something he has never complained about or even come close to indicating in the past:/ definitely new symptom. But no idea if its from the new med ( which causes blurred vision and dizziness but no mention of numbness) or a new scarlet symptom to go with the non stop migraines :( he is not sitting weird to cut blood flow at all. He says it as soon as he wakes up, twice trying to get out of his car seat, twice trying to get up out of the lazy boy recliner chair and once playing toys on the floor. He is sitting or lying down each time but with his sensory issues he never crosses his legs or sits weird ever. Always just out in front of him.

I wasn't very worried for this MRI before but the numbness has me worried now. Poor kid just can't catch a break for anything. It's always a worse never even thought of rare problem when we being him for things:( I was keeping my fingers crossed for just genetically predisposed to bad headaches for life. *sigh* I am feeling that hope got right out the window the longer it takes them to call me back. And expecting a "bring him straight to the hospital for the MRI right now"
by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chicken13
by Group Admin on May. 31, 2013 at 9:44 AM

I'd be concerned.  Numbness is never a good thing.  Not sure what meds he is on...but some can cause the lining on the nerves to deteriorate.

totally NOT Trying to freak you out.  But you should make sure they take your complaints seriously and get to the bottom of it.

xomrs.chase
by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Awww *hugs* I hope you find answers soon! Maybe call the pedi? See if they can call in an emergency mri?
lasombrs
by Sara on May. 31, 2013 at 9:49 AM
He is on a ton of meds so it could be the combo too who knows. But they put him on a large dose of the anti histamine cyproheptadem (sp?) to help the inflammation that causes migraines. He is to little for things like imatrex. I could never give him injections either past the first one:/

Quoting chicken13:

I'd be concerned.  Numbness is never a good thing.  Not sure what meds he is on...but some can cause the lining on the nerves to deteriorate.

totally NOT Trying to freak you out.  But you should make sure they take your complaints seriously and get to the bottom of it.

lasombrs
by Sara on May. 31, 2013 at 9:52 AM
The pedi is next to useless and we switched to them because even that is ten steps up from his last one. Everything about him and his conditions sail for their heads and they don't want to touch him for anything short of routine visits. A call a the phone gets us told to walk in the Er or call a different dr. I think the nurse is just waiting to speak to the dr to call me back. I am sure they get hit hard at 8 am every day. But if I don't hear by noon I am calling back

Quoting xomrs.chase:

Awww *hugs* I hope you find answers soon! Maybe call the pedi? See if they can call in an emergency mri?
xomrs.chase
by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Keep calling for sure. Good luck! If they don't have anything today.. the er may not be a bad idea. Better safe than sorry. *hugs*

I know its different.. but dh is diabetic. Numbness like that would be a very bad sign.

Quoting lasombrs:

The pedi is next to useless and we switched to them because even that is ten steps up from his last one. Everything about him and his conditions sail for their heads and they don't want to touch him for anything short of routine visits. A call a the phone gets us told to walk in the Er or call a different dr. I think the nurse is just waiting to speak to the dr to call me back. I am sure they get hit hard at 8 am every day. But if I don't hear by noon I am calling back

Quoting xomrs.chase:

ckroch
by Colleen on May. 31, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Yikes. Def get ahold of neuro!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AidanCamsMom
by Amanda on May. 31, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Hope you get answers!

lasombrs
by Sara on May. 31, 2013 at 8:09 PM
So we went to urgent care. They cut his med to half but don't think that's the problem. If it happens again we are to bring him right to the er
Crissy2424
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:22 PM

I would be concerned too. If it started after the start of new meds I'd stop them. Not sure if you can or not. I'd march him right to the hospital and demand an MRI right away.

lasombrs
by Sara on May. 31, 2013 at 8:50 PM
He needs to be in ICU and sedated for it so some planning and the right people need to be there. He needs to not eat etc I wish I could :/

Quoting Crissy2424:

I would be concerned too. If it started after the start of new meds I'd stop them. Not sure if you can or not. I'd march him right to the hospital and demand an MRI right away.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)