Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Florida Moms Florida Moms

Can you believe this whole mess?

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 1:48 PM
  • 16 Replies

Romney, Scott Brown rebuke Akin's rape comments

CBS/ AP) Missouri Congressman Todd Akin, a conservative Republican candidate for the U.S. Senate, sparked a furor and earned a rebuke from Mitt Romney's campaign after saying that women's bodies can prevent pregnancies in "a legitimate rape" and that conception is rare in such cases.

Akin, a six-term congressman running against incumbent Democrat Sen. Claire McCaskill, was asked in an interview broadcast Sunday on St. Louis television station KTVI if he would support abortions for women who have been raped.

"It seems to me first of all, from what I understand from doctors, that's really rare," Akin said. "If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down," Akin said of a rape victim's chances of becoming pregnant.

Akin said in an emailed statement later Sunday that he "misspoke" during the interview, though the statement did not specify on which points or comments.

"In reviewing my off-the-cuff remarks, it's clear that I misspoke in this interview and it does not reflect the deep empathy I hold for the thousands of women who are raped and abused every year," Akin's statement said.

Akin also said in the statement he believes "deeply in the protection of all life and I do not believe that harming another innocent victim is the right course of action."

Akin's comments brought a swift rebuke from the campaign of presumptive GOP presidential candidate Romney.

"Gov. Romney and Congressman (Paul) Ryan disagree with Mr. Akin's statement, and a Romney-Ryan administration would not oppose abortion in instances of rape," Romney spokeswoman Amanda Henneberg said.

In a phone interview Monday morning, Mitt Romney told the conservative magazine the National Review Online that Akin's comment was "inexcusable."

"Congressman's Akin comments on rape are insulting, inexcusable, and, frankly, wrong," Romney said. "Like millions of other Americans, we found them to be offensive."

Massachusetts Sen. Scott Brown, a Republican in his own tough race for re-election, released a statement Monday calling on Akin to resign his Senate nomination.

"As a husband and father of two young women, I found Todd Akin's comments about women and rape outrageous, inappropriate and wrong," Brown said. "There is no place in our public discourse for this type of offensive thinking. Not only should he apologize, but I believe Rep. Akin's statement was so far out of bounds that he should resign the nomination for US Senate in Missouri."

McCaskill, who is seeking a second term, in an emailed statement Sunday called the comments "offensive."

"It is beyond comprehension that someone can be so ignorant about the emotional and physical trauma brought on by rape," McCaskill said. "The ideas that Todd Akin has expressed about the serious crime of rape and the impact on its victims are offensive."

...As the Washington Post notes, the GOP can't force Akin to drop out, but he could voluntarily resign by 5 p.m. Tuesday, or he could withdraw from the race by court order by Sept. 25.

Full story here: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57496369/senate-candidates-comments-on-rape-stir-outcry/

Where I want to be right now...

by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 1:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Aug. 20, 2012 at 2:08 PM

I heard about that earlier,just crazy.

gmadiane
by gmadiane on Aug. 20, 2012 at 3:24 PM
2 moms liked this

ignorance plain and simple

OrangeSunset
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Misspoke my left foot. He said what he meant and now's just backpedaling.

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Aug. 20, 2012 at 7:10 PM
Exactly!

Quoting gmadiane:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Some.Beach
by Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 7:14 PM

I definitely think so, too.

Quoting OrangeSunset:

Misspoke my left foot. He said what he meant and now's just backpedaling.

Some.Beach
by Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Totally!

Quoting gmadiane:

jurnee14
by Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 8:22 PM
2 moms liked this

I think more politicians should be this candid about their true feelings when campaingning, at least then we would know who NOT to vote for. 

fygfitness_mom
by Chris on Aug. 20, 2012 at 9:43 PM
I had to read it twice when it first hit the news because I couldn't believe what I was reading. What an ignorant ass.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sheri305
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Quoting KylesMom409:

Exactly!

Quoting gmadiane:

jbirdsladie27
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 5:33 AM
for real!

Quoting KylesMom409:

Exactly!

Quoting gmadiane:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)