Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Florida Moms Florida Moms

Does celebrity backing affect your vote?

Posted by   + Show Post

I saw a report today about celebrity endorsements for Obama and Romney, like Clooney for Obama or Kid Rock for Romney, and it made me laugh a little. Does seeing celebrities endorsing one candidate or another affect your vote? Or do you think it's something most voters ignore?

by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 5:00 PM
Replies (11-17):
SweetLuci
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:43 PM

I don't think most people are influenced by celebrity endorcements, it's certainly doesn't affect mine, but sometimes when I see a celebrity talk about politics, it usually makes them look silly and it often influences my view of that celebrity after that.

kayfarmgirl
by Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 8:15 AM

I vote for whom I want to without a celebraty endorsement.

Some.Beach
by Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Having a celebrity endorse a candidate has absolutely zero effect on my decision. There are plenty of stars I adore but with whom I disagree on a number of issues, so if anything, the endorsement of those stars might make me rethink my choice and go with the other guy. I've never voted based on something so silly, though.

Some beach, somewhere...

Some.Beach
by Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 9:01 AM

I agree. It's sad that more people vote on the next American Idol than on the next American President. Perhaps if they really want to reach the masses they should throw both candidates in a house, a la Big Brother, and let America watch them for a few months to decide. ;) (yes, I'm being sarcastic)

Quoting Fairegirl33:

Oh and unfortunately I do think MANY people DO use this as a way to decide...

Many people come into our office to early vote and don't even know a candidates name but tell us they just met them outside and now they are going to vote for them....

Or that they have seen many signs for this candidate...

No wonder we are in such a mess in this country....

Some beach, somewhere...

nomadbrat83
by Group Admin on Aug. 29, 2012 at 9:06 AM
Hell no! In fact if the majority of out of touch celebrities back a candidate, I'm even less likely to back that candidates. Only brainless morons vote for a candidate because a celebrity told them to. Smdh
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fairegirl33
by Melissa on Aug. 29, 2012 at 9:42 AM

You know as I was reading your reply... I was wondering....

How do we reach these young people who are watching Big Brother and American Idol (if we want them voting LOL).... back in past elections Rock the Vote was a big thing... I haven't seen it much at all this election cycle... Yet.

Maybe this is what these celebs are trying to do ?  I def don't think that folks should take their advice from a celeb but maybe if young people see that it is "cool" to listen to politics and get involved that might work ????  

I dont know... I just blabbering LOL

Quoting Some.Beach:

I agree. It's sad that more people vote on the next American Idol than on the next American President. Perhaps if they really want to reach the masses they should throw both candidates in a house, a la Big Brother, and let America watch them for a few months to decide. ;) (yes, I'm being sarcastic)

Quoting Fairegirl33:

Oh and unfortunately I do think MANY people DO use this as a way to decide...

Many people come into our office to early vote and don't even know a candidates name but tell us they just met them outside and now they are going to vote for them....

Or that they have seen many signs for this candidate...

No wonder we are in such a mess in this country....

iluv2read
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Not in the least.

♥ ♥   I love to read. ♥ ♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN