Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is changing election laws in GOP's favor?

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 10:28 AM
  • 28 Replies

Do you agree that changing election laws is an attempt to influence the outcome of the election in favor of Republicans?

Early voting in Florida wasn't hurt by new law

Early voting in the August 2012 primary was up 52 percent from August 2008. This impressive showing followed the Republican-dominated Legislature's passage of a controversial election law that, among other things, decreased the number of days in which in-person early voting was allowed.

Voters, apparently, can find their way to the polls -- when real issues motivate them. Issues and hot elections drive turnout. The length of the early-voting period -- now eight days -- matters less.

Previously, election supervisors could offer up to 14 days of early voting. That was changed in 2011 to eight days. State officials said 367,000 people took advantage of early voting in the Aug. 14 primary. In the August 2008 primary, 240,000 voters cast ballots early, over more days.

The improved early-voting numbers don't matter to Democrats. They see any attempt by Republicans to alter election laws as an effort to hand the presidential race over to the GOP.

"People are trying to take away your most precious right. Don't let them," said state Sen. Nan Rich, a Democrat from Broward County, who is also eyeing a run for governor in 2014.

READ MORE: http://www.news-journalonline.com/article/20120909/OPINION/309079970?Title=Early-voting-in-Florida-wasn-t-hurt-by-new-law

Some beach, somewhere
There's a big umbrella casting shade over an empty chair...

by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 10:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2jessnky
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't see how it does...

joey125
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 7:24 PM

i think it does, it just makes it more difficult for some folks to get out and vote,  why are they doing it now, it should be easier to vote in this country not more difficult.

strictmomhere
by Nan on Sep. 9, 2012 at 8:11 PM
I dont no
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Sep. 9, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Same here

Quoting mom2jessnky:

I don't see how it does...

Fairegirl33
by Melissa on Sep. 9, 2012 at 8:35 PM

it was up in the August 2012 primary ?  I thought they said that it was at an all time low....  

I do think that they should keep the early voting @ 14 days... it is very convenient for voters.... but people also need to stop using this kind of stuff as an excuse for not voting LOL they have so many darn way to vote yet they still aren't voting... how much easier can we make it ??!!

Ok... anyways...the hours that an early voting site is open is determined by the Supervisor of Elections.  In Sarasota County, our SOE decided for big elections to be opened for the Sat - Sat for 12 hours.  

I think it is stupid that folks are saying that it is Dem or Rep determined.... If folks would try to be non-partisan and think about the voters we might get more done in this state and country.

Fairegirl33
by Melissa on Sep. 9, 2012 at 8:40 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting joey125:

i think it does, it just makes it more difficult for some folks to get out and vote,  why are they doing it now, it should be easier to vote in this country not more difficult.

How is the GOP making it more difficult ?

Also, in FL you can:

1. Early Vote @ numerous site within your county

2. Vote by mail up to 30 days BEFORE election day -- most counties you can call to request a ballot, stop in your SOE office, do a request online.

3. Vote on election day @ your precinct

How much easier can that be ??   

jurnee14
by Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Fairegirl33:

Quoting joey125:

How is the GOP making it more difficult ?

Also, in FL you can:

1. Early Vote @ numerous site within your county

2. Vote by mail up to 30 days BEFORE election day -- most counties you can call to request a ballot, stop in your SOE office, do a request online.

3. Vote on election day @ your precinct

How much easier can that be ??   

I agree, they make it pretty easy to vote. I was away for the primary, so I voted early. its a bit of a hassle sometimes, but its doable.

joey125
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 11:10 PM

I 'm glad the early voting in Florida is continuing, some states such as Ohio were trying to make it difficult but a judge overturned that decision.  I am a part time resident of Florida,   thanks for the info.

lukee
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 9:11 AM

early voting has been shortened in FL--our county is really shortened with Elections budget cut in half--they have to cut hours polls are open due to not enough money to fund the overtime required. I think that hours in general are being restricted in order to cut some out of the process but if I thought that it was being done to keep me out I would be there if I had to stand in line for hours. They used to do that--I remember when voting took place on one day --no other alternatives. In many third world countries people walk for miles and stand in line for hours to have the chance to vote --here it is a ho hum idea for too many.

This mornings St Pete Times says the ballot will be extremely long this election so I suggest we share any info we get on what the ballot contains besides presidential elections--we have a lot of laws they want to change in the state and we need to vote on them--the new regulations allow them to write them in such a way as to make them almost impossible to read. The cost to mail could exceed $1.50 --I feel that piling them all on one ballot makes it more likely the educated will read and vote on them while those that struggle to read will abandon their vote --so kids read ahead and decide what you want y or n before you get to the ballot--also there is no limit as to how long you can stand at the poll deciding..I hope to head to the polls with a list of numbers and y or n next to them for each change

Now do I have a problem personally with shortened time to vote --No I always wait till the day--sometimes something occurs that makes me change my mind and I would hate to think I voted early and now cannot change my vote.

Fairegirl33
by Melissa on Sep. 10, 2012 at 9:52 AM

The ballot will be about 2 pages doubled sided... depending on what your county/city is adding.  I just got done proofing our county's ballots.

So yes get your sample ballot read it ahead of time... a few of those questions are about a 1/2 page long !   

Quoting lukee:

early voting has been shortened in FL--our county is really shortened with Elections budget cut in half--they have to cut hours polls are open due to not enough money to fund the overtime required. I think that hours in general are being restricted in order to cut some out of the process but if I thought that it was being done to keep me out I would be there if I had to stand in line for hours. They used to do that--I remember when voting took place on one day --no other alternatives. In many third world countries people walk for miles and stand in line for hours to have the chance to vote --here it is a ho hum idea for too many.

This mornings St Pete Times says the ballot will be extremely long this election so I suggest we share any info we get on what the ballot contains besides presidential elections--we have a lot of laws they want to change in the state and we need to vote on them--the new regulations allow them to write them in such a way as to make them almost impossible to read. The cost to mail could exceed $1.50 --I feel that piling them all on one ballot makes it more likely the educated will read and vote on them while those that struggle to read will abandon their vote --so kids read ahead and decide what you want y or n before you get to the ballot--also there is no limit as to how long you can stand at the poll deciding..I hope to head to the polls with a list of numbers and y or n next to them for each change

Now do I have a problem personally with shortened time to vote --No I always wait till the day--sometimes something occurs that makes me change my mind and I would hate to think I voted early and now cannot change my vote.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)