Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Florida Moms Florida Moms

Paul Ryan on contraception and NASA

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 15 Replies
1 mom liked this

Republican vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan was in Florida this past week campaigning. You might be shocked to hear this, but he–wait for it–had several criticisms of President Obama’s policies.

In Orlando, he spoke about President Obama’s mandate requiring all insurance plans to include access to contraception, which was part of Obama's healthcare overhaul. He called it an “assault on religious liberty." He said that Mitt Romney would repeal that mandate on “Day 1” if  he was elected President.  

Personally, I find religion, when it is used in this way, to be an assault on civil liberties. I think religion should be kept out of politics/government, but good luck with that, right?! That’s just my opinion and I understand that probably at least half of the people reading this might feel differently. I apologize in advance if my opinion offended you.

It makes sense to me that insurance companies should cover contraception. Then anyone who has problems with contraception due to religious beliefs is welcome to not take advantage of that option. As far as requiring Catholic hospitals and universities to provide contraception, I would not be sure how to proceed on that issue. But insurance companies–no question. 

Paul Ryan also spoke out against President Obama’s decision to cancel the Constellation program, which was to be a successor to the shuttle program. This is a hot button in central Florida because, “thousands of jobs have been lost since the end of the space shuttle program last year.”

Ryan said that we would be, “conceding our position as the unequivocal leader in space”.

The Obama campaign answered this immediately by pointing out that Paul Ryan has voted repeatedly against NASA funding. Ryan voted against NASA funding twice in the 2008 and 2010 NASA Authorization Acts. 1

The Romney space policy paper can be read here. It says that President Obama has “failed to deliver a coherent policy for human space exploration and space security.” Romney claims that he will, “reverse this course and set a clear roadmap for space exploration”, and he details how he plans to do so.

I understand that the contraception issue is a sensitive and private subject but, if anyone cares to comment, do you agree with the Romney campaign on reversing the contraception mandate? Do you have an opinion about the Obama or Romney space program initiatives?

©iStockphoto.com/Jodi Jacobson

by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Sep. 24, 2012 at 8:34 AM

TFS

Refurbished
by Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 2:07 PM

religion, when it is used in this way, to be an assault on civil liberties.

Exactly.  I don't believe my employer should have the right to enforce his religion upon me.  I've taken BCPs for over 10 years, and it isn't for birth control, but even if it was, why should my employer be able to control my life in this way?

mom_to_travis
by Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this

"Personally, I find religion, when it is used in this way, to be an assault on civil liberties."

"It makes sense to me that insurance companies should cover contraception. Then anyone who has problems with contraception due to religious beliefs is welcome to not take advantage of that option."

Amen and hallelujah!   ;-)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2012/02/02/the-truth-about-contraception-obamacare-and-the-church/

A recent blog by Celia Muñoz, Director of the White House Domestic Policy Council, does an excellent job of laying out the facts –

• For starters, all churches—or any other type of house of worship— are expressly exempted from the requirement that they offer health insurance to their employees that includes any provision for contraception. The issue under discussion involves whether other entities owned and operated by a church should be obligated to do so under the law.
  • Nobody is, in any way, obligated to acquire or use contraceptive devices. The regulation applies only to what insurance companies must offer-not to who must take advantage of the benefit. Thus, if your religious belief bars you from using contraception, then nothing will get in the way of you and your religious beliefs. You may have the benefit available to you in your insurance coverage, but nothing is going to require you to take advantage of the benefit.
  • The law does not require medical care providers to prescribe contraceptives. If the religious belief of a physician or other health care worker is such that they do not believe in contraception for religious reasons, nothing in the law –or the regulations-would require a doctor or care worker to prescribe a contraceptive device.
  • Drugs, such as RU486 that cause a woman to abort a pregnancy, are not included in the law or regulations. Nothing would require a health insurance company to include this in their policy offerings and, certainly, nothing would require anyone to take such a pill.
  • It’s not like this is something new as over 50 percent of Americans already live in states that require health insurance companies to provide contraception in their policy offerings. Further, states like California, New York and North Carolina have the identical religious exemptions as have been promulgated by the Department of Health & Human Services while some states (Wisconsin, Colorado and Georgia) provide no religious exemption whatsoever. Thus, one wonders why religious organizations in these states have not previously raised a fuss.

It should also be noted that most women, including 98 percent of Catholic women, have used contraception.

godotherightthi
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 3:26 PM

We all know that the contraception mandate IS an assault on those hospital, universities, AND self insured religious institutions.  There should have been an exception for all of those situations and the fact that there isn't begs the question...why?  Religion has always won when challenged in the Supreme Court, Obama is supposedly a Contitutional scholar -- why would he not make the exception and exempt those religous institutions that have their own moral issues with BC?

I don't buy into the argument that women are so feeble that they can't find their own source for BC outside of the insurance mandate.  Not to mention that the actual cost of BC will necessarily go up when it's forced into the extra layer of insurance layer beaurocracy.

mom2jessnky
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 7:32 AM
1 mom liked this

"Personally, I find religion, when it is used in this way, to be an assault on civil liberties."

I agree!  Contraceptives are not just used to prevent pregnancy, that's just ONE use. I know women who have their tubes tied that take BCP's to regulate their periods! I know people that use them for period suppression because of hormone related migraines. I could go on, about other uses for BCP, that are not just "I don't want to get pregnant".  I don't want some random company ramming their religious beliefs down my throat.

Religion is like a penis. it's fine if you have one, it's fine if you're proud of it, but please don't take it out in public and wave it around, and shove it in peoples' faces.  That's what Romney is doing, taking out his penis (religion) and ramming it in everyone's face. No thanks sweety, not interested.

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Sep. 25, 2012 at 8:32 AM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lukee
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 12:11 PM
2 moms liked this

I certainly have some mixed feelings on this whole birth control debacle. Why is it the same folks that want no insurance for BC and then when we have children born to poor uneducated women they do not want to contribute to their well being either. I get some really creepy thoughts running thru my head when I think about this. Y'all would run me down the road for sure--

stephwest1
by Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 1:01 PM

OMG!! Laughing out loud. So not P.C. :)

Quoting mom2jessnky:
Religion is like a penis. it's fine if you have one, it's fine if you're proud of it, but please don't take it out in public and wave it around, and shove it in peoples' faces.  

mom2jessnky
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 1:10 PM

I agree!

Quoting lukee:

I certainly have some mixed feelings on this whole birth control debacle. Why is it the same folks that want no insurance for BC and then when we have children born to poor uneducated women they do not want to contribute to their well being either. I get some really creepy thoughts running thru my head when I think about this. Y'all would run me down the road for sure--

_Kissy_
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 2:13 PM
Awesome.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

I agree!  Contraceptives are not just used to prevent pregnancy, that's just ONE use. I know women who have their tubes tied that take BCP's to regulate their periods! I know people that use them for period suppression because of hormone related migraines. I could go on, about other uses for BCP, that are not just "I don't want to get pregnant".  I don't want some random company ramming their religious beliefs down my throat.

Religion is like a penis. it's fine if you have one, it's fine if you're proud of it, but please don't take it out in public and wave it around, and shove it in peoples' faces.  That's what Romney is doing, taking out his penis (religion) and ramming it in everyone's face. No thanks sweety, not interested.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)