Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Florida Moms Florida Moms

Do you think Americans are dependent and looking for a handout or are we strong and responsible?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you think Americans are dependent and looking for a handout as Romney said earlier, or do you agree with VP Biden about the strength and responsibility of the American people?

In Florida, Biden says he doesn't recognize Romney's America

By TAMARA LUSH - Associated Press

BidenVice President Joe Biden visits with patrons Julie Holcom, right, and her daughters Emily and Amanda at Mel's Diner in Fort Myers, Fla., Saturday, Sept. 29, 2012. Biden has been making his pitch to re-elect President Barack Obama in Florida. (AP Photo/The News-Press, ) Amanda Inscore — AP

Read more here: http://www.bradenton.com/2012/09/30/4219962/in-florida-biden-says-he-doesnt.html#storylink=cpy
FORT MYERS -- President Barack Obama had been on the job less than a week when a top economic adviser told him and Vice President Joe Biden that the country faced a trillion dollar deficit, Biden told a roomful of Florida supporters Saturday.

Obama replied, "But I haven't done anything yet," Biden recalled.

The mammoth deficit landed in Obama's lap, Biden said, because former President George W. Bush "put two wars on a credit card," and gave tax cuts to the wealthy.

Not long after getting the grim news about the deficit in 2009, the Obama White House said the country faced a long and painful financial recovery, even with major government intervention to stimulate the economy and save financial institutions.

The economy has been on voters' minds across the country, but especially in Fort Myers, located in a county that's suffered among the most foreclosures per capita in the country....

Biden also continued to hammer Romney on a leaked video in which Romney described 47 percent of Americans as people who pay no federal income tax and "believe that they are victims."

Biden said that Romney's running mate, Congressman Paul Ryan, also talked about similar themes in "Young Guns," the book he co-authored.

"When they talk about the culture of dependency, I don't recognize the country they're talking about," said Biden.

"The American people are so much better, so much stronger, take so much more responsibility than these guys give them credit for."

♥ ♥   I love to read. ♥ ♥

by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 9:15 AM
Replies (11-20):
Shaybay218
by Shayla on Oct. 1, 2012 at 12:08 AM

I can only speak for me and I work damn hard and long hrs...always have and always will..

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Oct. 1, 2012 at 7:50 AM

Exactly

Quoting GOBryan:

I think it depends on the individual. Some look for hand outs and others are strong and independent, then you have the in-betweens. 

artemisa3001
by Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 11:55 AM

I think like any nationality, you find a little bit of everything.

mom_to_travis
by Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 2:42 PM

I agree!

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

I think lumping all Americans into one category is very naive. There are hard working Americans and there are some who rely on government handouts as a lifestyle choice. 

While I agree that a portion of the population does in fact rely on a culture of dependence I think the number 47% shows a gross misunderstanding of the economy and the lifestyle of the average American. 

arpazia
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 8:51 AM
Some are, some aren't. You can't just lump us all into one big group.
Those who abuse the system should be punished, those who need it should not be made to feel like filth!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SpiritedDragon
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 8:59 AM
2 moms liked this

I believe that  no one should get a handout unless they absolutely need it.  I will put myself in for example, two years ago, I applied for food stamps to help feed my two boys and myself.  I worked part time at min. wage, I worked extra when I could, along with working any odd job possible.  I was still putting a roof over our head, living without cable and internet, I had a pre-paid phone, and paid my bills as needed.  Sometimes, I sat there and struggled to pay bills, borrowed money from my parents when going through my divorce.  I no longer need food stamps, cause I have one gotten a better paying job, and work my tail of to support my two boys with little support from their father.  I have moved into a better home, and can pay all my bills with no problem every month.  We still don't have cable, but seriously who needs it?  I invested my money better from not having things that we don't need.  I have a vehicle that is paid off, and I make as much as possible on my own without harsh chemicals in them.    

People don't need the help or bailout, unless you are honestly struggling, but as long as you keep fighting and searching for a better life, it's there.  I may not make a butt load of money, but I have enough to raise my kids off of.  People who make that their choice of living should  have stick rules and guidlines to how they get to keep their help. 

LancesMom
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:24 AM

He just doesn't get it! We are NOT dependent, we just want the same dam doors to open that he had.

This is more about equality and rights for all, this election more than ever!

mom_to_travis
by Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:44 PM

I love this idea of his that we should pay for it but not use it.  Uh, I'm sure he takes every tax break he has coming to him!

LadyBast
by Brenda on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:54 PM

I think this post is wrong, we all work our butts off and still cannot get enough but we  cannot get help either so what does that make us...  We can help other countries but not our own when we need it. Not everyone has what a lot of us do or take for granted.... That is what I hate people looking down on you b/c you do have a new car or whatever.. Sorry small vent here!

celestegood
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:44 PM
100% agree with your statement!

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

I think lumping all Americans into one category is very naive. There are hard working Americans and there are some who rely on government handouts as a lifestyle choice. 

While I agree that a portion of the population does in fact rely on a culture of dependence I think the number 47% shows a gross misunderstanding of the economy and the lifestyle of the average American. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)