Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Florida Moms Florida Moms

Black bear shot and killed in Collier County

Posted by   + Show Post

I can’t imagine looking out my window to see a 6-foot, 250 pound black bear pawing at the glass. That would be scary. But I still find it terribly sad that this bear had to be killed.

The neighborhood in Collier County where this bear was roaming and chasing people is located along the edge of the Everglades. State wildlife officers think that bear got too acclimated to being around humans and lost all fear.

The bear was roaming the neighborhood for hours, rummaging through garbage cans and even chased a woman into her car and then jumped on the car. Photos and video of the bear are here.

The Florida Wildlife Commission (FWC) officer who shot the bear tried backing away slowly but the bear kept charging him. The officer fell down, then regained his footing and finally had to shoot the bear to protect himself. It was the first time an FWC officer has killed a bear in Collier County.

I know that we have bears in Florida but I don’t think about it much since I live in a highly human populated downtown area. They are beautiful but I would hate to run across one outside my house. I definitely don't want them to be killed because we are encroaching on their territory though. Sad story.

Have you ever seen any wild bears in Florida?

©iStockphoto.com/Ashok Rodrigues

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-13):
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:37 PM

A friend's goats, pig and chickens were killed by a bear. It's really scary. Wildlife officers won't do anything because they are livestock, not pets. But they animals were all in pens right by their house. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:39 PM

I saw a baby crossing the road right by my house. I thought it was a puppy until I saw it climb a fence to get into a yard. I also saw a big one walk right through my yard when I lived in that neighborhood. 

I work in a really rural area so I have seen several driving to work. I had to slam on my breaks to avoid hitting one once. He just glanced at me and kept crossing. 

crystal-boyd
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:27 PM
It is sad that they had to put it down instead of trying to relocate the poor thing .

Ive seen bears here a few times but the were small as far as.bears go. That one looks pretty big
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)