Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Florida Moms Florida Moms

Interratial or diffent culture relationships?

Posted by   + Show Post

I grew up in the stix of GA and it was very much a old school belief system. You didn't have relationships with someone outside your race. Friendships were ok, nothing more serious than that though. So, as an adult even though I had no problems with folks who dated "outside" their race, its never ever something I would do. For one, in the majority of cases I just wasn't attracted to men who weren't white guys. (side note: moving and living in south florida the white guy population is limited, lol)

I'm not sue exactly how it happened, but all of a sudden after 3 years of working togeather, with not much dialoge happening between us in all of that time, me and my cuban dh just clicked. Like someone turned on a light switch. Now you want to talk about opposites, our life styles were as opposite as it gets. I like bars he likes clubs. I'm an animal lover, he is so not. I don't really speak any spanish, but his english is really good. But we both have a love of the outdoors and wanted to have a family...eventually. So, after a month of us taking turns traveling from Coconut Creek to Hialeah ( a 45 minute drive) everynight we decided to move in togeather.

That was a year and a half ago. Now, we have our family and can't wait for the time when we can start really doing things outdoors with our beautiful boys.

Even though life is just awesome and our relationship is strong there is and probably always will be a gap between us. Different worlds, and even though he speaks wonderful english, its not much above a basic level: so there are communication problems at times and I think we both get frusturated once in a while that we can't express ourselves fully. I am working on my spanish but it'll never be much above a basic level.

So, my question to you is.... are you in a interratial or diffent culture relationship? and if so, pros? cons?, funny stories? tell us about it. :-)

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:21 AM
Replies (21-22):
LilMamaK
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:50 PM
Im puerto rican and italian and my dd's bio father is black. We were together 5 years and aplit of reason not due to our races. Im now with a white guy and we get together just fine. I dont believe there is anything wrong with interracial relationships/families! To each their own!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomToovey
by Marianne on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:14 PM

I'm not in an interracial relationship, but I am in an interclimate relationship, LOL! I was born and raised in AZ and have been conditioned to believe that anything lower that 75 degrees is freezing (I wish I were exaggerating, but I'm so not!) and I much prefer warmer temperatures. On the other hand, DH was born and raised in Nebraska, and he's been conditioned to believe that anything above 85 degrees is just way too hot - and he prefers cooler temperatures. Believe it or not, it has put a strain on the relationship at times. One, he gets SOOO grumpy when he's too hot and it makes us all miserable when he gets like that. But the only other choice is to move to a cooler climate - and since DH can't promise that I'd never ever need to leave the house once the temperature drops below 70, and that I'd never ever have to drive in snow, I just know that I'd be the same way - super grumpy when I get too cold. You know that miserable feeling where you've got 4 layers over every single body part and you still can't warm up?! Yeah, I get that way HERE!!! I'd never survive in a cooler climate!

How do we make it work? Well, AC for one :) And when he gets in his too-hot-too-grumpy state, I've learned just to leave him alone until he literally cools off (which sometimes isn't until after DD goes to bed)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN