Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Florida Moms Florida Moms

How do you feel about this?

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:33 AM
  • 11 Replies

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/teacher-ridicules-student-romney-t-155305823.html

There is a line to be drawn not matter who you are for.  People should be aloud to express themselves and not be down graded like this girl was.  This teacher was way out of line, and honestly should be reprimanded for her actions with this student.  

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomE3
by Tiffany on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:46 AM

I was reading this earlier Craziness If it was my kid the teacher def woulda had something done something equal to what was done to my daughter I cant stand those holier than thou people who think its their right to judge and then act on it

mom2jessnky
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:58 AM
2 moms liked this

That teacher should be in serious trouble.

At the schools here the teachers (and faculty) have to sign an agreement that they will not discuss politics at all while working/on school grounds. They can get in serious trouble for it too. If you're on the clock at the school, no talking about it. I think, especially considering this story, that's a good policy that maybe all schools need to adopt. And my kids are in Elementary school, not a very big risk of heated political debates going on here.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:23 AM

That sounds absolutely horrible. 

However, I will say I'd like the hear the other side of the story. 

Whenever there is a story about a teacher in the news it's important to keep in mind that parents and students can say whatever they want to the media. But teachers and schools can't tell their side to the media. 

I've know the inside accounts of some news stories. What gets reported can range from slightly skewed to outright lies. 

This certainly sounds horrible and if it's even remotely true the teacher should be fired. But I will give the teacher the benefit of the doubt because I wasn't there and she can't tell her side of the story. 

SpiritedDragon
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I agree with you that there is two sides to every story.  But regardless teachers should know when a child is trying to express their opinions and be themselves.  That is what high school is about, to be able to be themselves and not always get treated with disrespect.  

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Whenever there is a story about a teacher in the news it's important to keep in mind that parents and students can say whatever they want to the media. But teachers and schools can't tell their side to the media. 

I've know the inside accounts of some news stories. What gets reported can range from slightly skewed to outright lies. 

This certainly sounds horrible and if it's even remotely true the teacher should be fired. But I will give the teacher the benefit of the doubt because I wasn't there and she can't tell her side of the story. 

SpiritedDragon
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:40 AM

I know that feeling, that is why I pulled my boys out of the public school in our district.  It was ridiculous!  

Quoting MomE3:

I was reading this earlier Craziness If it was my kid the teacher def woulda had something done something equal to what was done to my daughter I cant stand those holier than thou people who think its their right to judge and then act on it

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this
While I usually give the teacher the first benefit of doubt, it seems in this case the teacher was beyond out of line. There shouldn't have been any comment made to the student joking or not.
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:30 AM

What if what the child is saying isn't true?

The other side of the story could be completely different. High school students are fully capable of making up or exaggerating things to get teachers in trouble. 

I'm not saying I think that's the case here. But as a general rule I take all news stories like these with a grain of salt. Trust me, if you knew all the details on some of them you'd be shocked. There can be outright proof that child or parent is lying, but the school and teacher can't ever bring it to the media. That's why there are so many stories about teachers doing horrible things and "getting away" with it. The police know all the evidence. The media doesn't. 

Quoting SpiritedDragon:

I agree with you that there is two sides to every story.  But regardless teachers should know when a child is trying to express their opinions and be themselves.  That is what high school is about, to be able to be themselves and not always get treated with disrespect.  

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Fairegirl33
by Melissa on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:42 PM
They should be allowed but should be non-partisan about it.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

That teacher should be in serious trouble.

At the schools here the teachers (and faculty) have to sign an agreement that they will not discuss politics at all while working/on school grounds. They can get in serious trouble for it too. If you're on the clock at the school, no talking about it. I think, especially considering this story, that's a good policy that maybe all schools need to adopt. And my kids are in Elementary school, not a very big risk of heated political debates going on here.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomE3
by Tiffany on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:08 AM
I've STRONGLY considered pullin them out but my oldest would be crushed She's in a charter academy... I think the munchkins would benefit so much tho

Quoting SpiritedDragon:

I know that feeling, that is why I pulled my boys out of the public school in our district.  It was ridiculous!  

Quoting MomE3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SpiritedDragon
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:30 AM

I was going to home-school both my boys this year, to give them more of a down to earth feel of things.  But we found a Private Christian based school, and I could not beat the teacher to student ratio.  10 kids to one teacher.  Both of my boys have benefited greatly with this change, and their grades and behaviors of improved since we moved them schools.  

Quoting MomE3:

I've STRONGLY considered pullin them out but my oldest would be crushed She's in a charter academy... I think the munchkins would benefit so much tho

Quoting SpiritedDragon:

Quoting MomE3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN