Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Florida Moms Florida Moms

Mitt Romney refuses to take questions from children on ‘Kids Pick the President’, Obama participated

Posted by   + Show Post

Mitt Romney refuses to take questions from children on ‘Kids Pick the President’, Obama participated

October 8, 2012

Nickelodeon states that Mitt Romney opted out of the chance to take part in a “Kids Pick the President” special that includes his President Obama. The  TV channel for children said Monday that the Republican Presidential candidate declined to be involved in the special, while President Obama participated, the AP reports.

Videotaped questions are included in the program for the candidates from children across America. Afterward, viewers can vote for their pick for president.

The show’s host and producer Linda Ellerbee said that candidates show “respect for kids” by answering their questions and called Romney’s decision disappointing. This isn’t the first time Romney has shunned questions, but it is from children.  I’m going to wager a guess – the disrespect shown, will cost Romney votes with children today for their pick. Perhaps children have more common sense than adults, considering the the number of Romney supporters — some of which did not care for him only months ago. There is something wrong with a politician who cannot take children’s questions, yet feels he can lead the most powerful country on Earth.

The Romney campaign did not immediately respond to phone and email requests for comment.

In the Nickelodeon special, Obama is asked about issues including jobs, immigration and bullying.

It will air on Oct. 15, with no answers from Mitt Romney.

http://freakoutnation.com/2012/10/08/mitt-romney-refuses-to-take-questions-from-children-on-kids-pick-the-president-obama-participated/

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:10 PM
Replies (161-170):
BoysManDog
by New Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:38 AM

If he were "expendable," why not get rid of him now?  No.  Instead, Nickelodeon doubles down and relinks to his Twitter account to promote the show.  Doesn't sound like the action of a network who thinks he is "expendable, does it?

And, let's play the game ..... What if a star on Nickleodeon had said the same about Michelle Obama? 

Well, we all know the answer, don't we?

Quoting mom_to_travis:

Oh okay thanks.  That's an animated show so he seems pretty expendable.  I wouldn't be surprised if after the initial shows that are already done they don't find someone new to replace him. 

Quoting BoysManDog:

Yes, he "stars" in Teenaged Mutant Ninja Turtles on Nickleodeon, who -- even after this incident -- relinked to his Twitter accoun to promote the show.

There is absolutely no wondering why Romney did not want to give these people any credence. 

Quoting mom_to_travis:

Ewww.  Is he actually on a Nickelodeon show though?  In the article it says he's up for a Kids Choice award but you don't have to be on Nick for that as far as I know.  He sounds like a complete jackass and immature to boot. 

lulubird83
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:43 AM

What an a-hole. I can't stand him

mom_to_travis
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:51 AM
2 moms liked this

Thanks.  I did some reading about this as i wasn't familiar.

So basically the "mexico city policy"  doesn't actually stop US funds from being used for abortions in other countries.  That is already banned under the Hyde Amendment.  It makes non-governmental organizations promise not to provide abortions with NON U.S. funds.  I guess I don't see why the U.S. should tell non-governmental organizations how to spend money that we didn't give them.  The policy also seeks stop NGOs from providing advice, counseling, or information regarding abortion, or lobbying a foreign government to legalize or make abortion available.  Reducing funding to these NGOs also negatively impacts their ability to distribute birth control, leading to lower use of contraception which in turn leads to an increase in unintended pregancies and probably an increase in abortions.  There is evidence that abortions actually increased in areas affected by the mexico city policy.   http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22271944

I'm pro-choice so there's probably not much reason for us to continue this discussion.

Quoting BoysManDog:

Days after taking office, Obama issued a memo overturning the "Mexico City" policy preventing U.S. foreign aid from going to groups that use non-U.S. aid to perform abortions.   

This rule was enacted by Reagan and was in force from 1985 to 1993 when Clinton rescinded it.  GWB then reinstated it.  Obama, again, got rid of it on 23 January 2009, and Romney will put it back in force. 

Quoting mom_to_travis:

Do you have any sources that prove this is really happening?  I honestly don't know.  But just because he wants to sign an order banning it doesn't necessarily mean that it's actually happening now.  And good luck policing that anyway.

Quoting BradleysMom119:

Why should we be paying for abortions in other countries? Makes no sense to me!

Quoting mom_to_travis:

Mr. Romney, who is opposed to abortion with certain exceptions, promised other moves to limit abortions. Before traveling to Ohio, he told the Iowa newspaper he would sign an executive order to ban U.S. foreign aid money from being used for abortions.

arpazia
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:56 AM
Um, no.
And she does have that right, but we both know he wouldn't handle it that way.

Quoting CityofRosesMama:

I can just see it now... A timid, little boy raises his band, "Obama, how do you feel about abortion?" Obama holds up a diagram of an aborted baby with a before abortion and after abortion photo. You can see the baby's head, hands, eyes... He says, "Sure, it's okay that your mom killed your sister. She has a right to do that."

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom_to_travis
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:05 AM

The first however many episodes are already done.  They're not going to get rid of it now and have no show.  And who knows, maybe they won't get rid of him for new shows either, I really don't know.  But my guess is if they catch enough heat for it they will get rid of him as a liability.  They apologized and removed the link to his personal twitter from the nick twitter account being used to promote the turtle show.  Probably a case of too little too late, yes.  I don't like what he said and I wouldn't like it if it was about Michelle Obama or anyone else, either. 

“The offensive comments made by Jason Biggs last week on his personal twitter account do not reflect our company’s views or values, and we condemn them. Nickelodeon does not support or condone the use of graphic or vulgar language on any of our platforms.

“It was our mistake to link from our Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles twitter feed to Jason’s personal twitter account, and we quickly corrected our error.  We also insisted Jason use better judgment and discretion in public communications while affiliated with our brand.”

Biggs deleted the tweets in question last week, but not before the website Twitchy was able to obtain screenshots.

Quoting BoysManDog:

If he were "expendable," why not get rid of him now?  No.  Instead, Nickelodeon doubles down and relinks to his Twitter account to promote the show.  Doesn't sound like the action of a network who thinks he is "expendable, does it?

And, let's play the game ..... What if a star on Nickleodeon had said the same about Michelle Obama? 

Well, we all know the answer, don't we?

Quoting mom_to_travis:

Oh okay thanks.  That's an animated show so he seems pretty expendable.  I wouldn't be surprised if after the initial shows that are already done they don't find someone new to replace him. 

Quoting BoysManDog:

Yes, he "stars" in Teenaged Mutant Ninja Turtles on Nickleodeon, who -- even after this incident -- relinked to his Twitter accoun to promote the show.

There is absolutely no wondering why Romney did not want to give these people any credence. 

Quoting mom_to_travis:

Ewww.  Is he actually on a Nickelodeon show though?  In the article it says he's up for a Kids Choice award but you don't have to be on Nick for that as far as I know.  He sounds like a complete jackass and immature to boot. 

BoysManDog
by New Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:28 AM

No, they said they did, but they are still linked.  And if a company wants to fire someone whatever the timing, they can and will.  Oh, well.  Obviously the partisan dem who runs Nickleodeon does not care. 

But this absolutely explains why Romney would not stoop to having anything to do with this company.

Quoting mom_to_travis:

The first however many episodes are already done.  They're not going to get rid of it now and have no show.  And who knows, maybe they won't get rid of him for new shows either, I really don't know.  But my guess is if they catch enough heat for it they will get rid of him as a liability.  They apologized and removed the link to his personal twitter from the nick twitter account being used to promote the turtle show.  Probably a case of too little too late, yes.  I don't like what he said and I wouldn't like it if it was about Michelle Obama or anyone else, either. 

“The offensive comments made by Jason Biggs last week on his personal twitter account do not reflect our company’s views or values, and we condemn them. Nickelodeon does not support or condone the use of graphic or vulgar language on any of our platforms.

“It was our mistake to link from our Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles twitter feed to Jason’s personal twitter account, and we quickly corrected our error.  We also insisted Jason use better judgment and discretion in public communications while affiliated with our brand.”

Biggs deleted the tweets in question last week, but not before the website Twitchy was able to obtain screenshots.

mom_to_travis
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this

No, they said they did, but they are still linked. 
Where is it currently linked?  Please tell me exactly where. I looked at the @TMNTMaster page and I do not see a link to his personal account. I also look at the tweets from September 1, when they first linked to his account, and I do not see a post with a link to his account. 

I also checked the @NickelodeonTV account, and same thing.  I don't see a tweet linking to his account on Sept. 1, and I don't see a link to his account anywhere else on the page.  I may be missing it, but I don't think they still have any active links to his personal account.  Their statement said it was an error to link to his account and that they had "corrected the error".  I think that means they ARE NOT linking to his account anymore.  If you can prove to me that they are, please do so.  But don't just keep saying they are if you can't show it to me.  Their response may not be strong enough to suit you, but that's their call to make.  I still say he is a liability to their brand and I predict  that his affiliation with the network will not last much longer. 

But this absolutely explains why Romney would not stoop to having anything to do with this company.

Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't.  Did he actually say this, or are you just assuming?

Quoting BoysManDog:

No, they said they did, but they are still linked.  And if a company wants to fire someone whatever the timing, they can and will.  Oh, well.  Obviously the partisan dem who runs Nickleodeon does not care. 

Quoting mom_to_travis:

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:35 PM
Quoting mom_to_travis:

I just looked and cannot find anyone's twitter linked to the teenage mutant site on Nick. While I think Nick should fire Biggs, I imagine that isn't going to happen.
mom_to_travis
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:59 PM

I guess we'll have to wait and see.  

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting mom_to_travis:

I just looked and cannot find anyone's twitter linked to the teenage mutant site on Nick. While I think Nick should fire Biggs, I imagine that isn't going to happen.

Lindsey1126
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:19 PM
I will not vote for Obama.It seems like He just cares about having fun!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN