Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you heard about the fugitive monkey?

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

In St. Petersburg a wild rhesus macaque, the Mystery Monkey, has been getting a lot of attention. It has been spotted around the area for about two years. It has its own Facebook page and has even been featured on Comedy Central's "The Colbert Report."

It has so far eluded Florida Fish and Wildlife officials, even shaking off being hit twice with tranquilizer darts.

Officials have warned people to stay away from the monkey and not to feed it, yet the video linked below shows the monkey looking plump and eating a banana on someone’s porch.

Now it has bitten a woman and I fear that will turn out to be a fatal mistake.

The woman who was bitten was sitting outside on her porch when the monkey jumped on her back and bit her in an unprovoked attack.  She says that she doesn’t want the monkey to be killed but that lately the monkey had become aggressive with male teenagers in the area.

Officials think that the monkey was cast out of a wild colony of rhesus macaques that was released in Silver River State Park in 1938. Maybe he was cast out for being a jerk and biting others?

I joke, but I actually feel sorry for the monkey. I hope he is not killed because of this, though likely he will be because officials will be concerned for public safety. It is possible that he carries diseases like simian herpes.

Do you think the monkey will be killed? Or do you think there is hope that he can be taken to some sort of zoo or preserve?

©iStockphoto.com/Nathaniel Frey

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes. Lol I sure hope he is not killed! They are looking to tranq him. He has survived two years I. The open. I sure hope a car doesn't get him. ;-(
OrangeSunset
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:47 PM
2 moms liked this

I hope they don't kill him and he'll instead be taken to a preserve. Where's Jack Hanna when you need him?

MomToovey
by Marianne on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:48 PM

I had actually never heard of this monkey, but now I want to go down there and find him! :)

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Hope its a happy ending

Dinimon
by Diana on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:32 AM
I hope he gets captured and maybe brought to a zoo?
Someplace people can care for him and he has other monkeys.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KylesMom409
by Linnette on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:25 AM
I second this.

Quoting OrangeSunset:

I hope they don't kill him and he'll instead be taken to a preserve. Where's Jack Hanna when you need him?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fairegirl33
by Melissa on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm friends with him on FB lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:39 PM

I hope this ends well.  Save the monkey!  (:

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

susannawb
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Poor monkey.  Get off his porch!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)