Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vice Presidential Debate

Posted by   + Show Post

I watched the Vice Presidential debate. I thought it was much more spirited than the Presidential debate. I also thought Vice President Joe Biden was the clear winner. I will be interested to hear what you ladies thought and what the general consensus will be all over the internet.

As I watched the live feed online there were comments constantly streaming alongside. It is amazing to be able to see commentary live while you are actually watching the debate. I don’t know how people type that fast though!

Overall I thought Biden’s experience in foreign affairs showed. He obviously knew what he
was talking about. I did not love his laughing at everything Ryan said though, that seemed a bit smug.

I thought the moderator was great. She maintained control, asked good questions, and required that her questions were answered. Did you like her?

She repeatedly questioned Ryan why he and Romney have refused to show any actual plans, to delineate exactly what cuts they would make and which loopholes would be closed. I wonder why they will not come forth with that, too. How do you feel about that?

On the abortion question, a quote from Twitter: “@dannysullivan Ryan: my faith guides everything. Biden: my faith is strong enough I don't have to impose it on those of other faiths.”

Did you watch the debate? Do you agree or disagree with my assessment? I welcome all thoughts and opinions.

©iStockphoto.com/Geoffrey Holman

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (111-120):
mom2twinboyz
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:08 AM
Quoting GOBryan:

Biden answered but flat out lied about some things. I am not saying Ryan was 100% accurate or right but don't make Biden out to be mr straight shooter.
mom_to_travis
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I'll take someone who interrupts 82 times over someone who lies 50% of the time, any day.

Quoting Redwall:

I thought Ryan was wonderful...always polite, and well spoken...didn't make faces when Biden spoke.  I thought Biden did a good job, but I thought he was rude.  Someone counted the times he interrupted and it was 82!    I'm not a Democrat or a Republican...but I had more respect for Ryan after watching this.

lukee
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:43 AM

a debate has many facets--a major part is the theatrics--that explains both Romney and Biden and their actions. They both read that part of the manual. It may impact each of us differently when we witness it, the real substance should be what they had to say. I think the real reason there has not been anymore detailed information from the Republicans, is they do not want to make any promises or raise any specific expectations. Failure to deliver becomes front page news often, this way there is plenty of wiggle room.  

mom_to_travis
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Facts are beautiful things.    I wish more people would look into them.

Obama issued an update to an existing 73-year-old effort that changed nothing about his executive authority and power.

http://www.factcheck.org/2012/09/obamas-executive-orders/

Granger, the Texas congresswoman, made false claims about an executive order that Obama actually signed in March. Writing in a constituent newsletter, Granger claimed that Obama’s “National Defense Resources Preparedness” order amounted to martial law, adding that it was “unprecedented” and “above the law” and lacked congressional oversight.

The order was none of those things — and Granger said as much in a subsequent statement. Since the Korean War, Congress has granted the president the authority to ensure that national resources — such as the food supply and various industries — will be available to meet national security needs in times of war and other emergencies. That power is granted under the Defense Production Act, a law that dates to 1950 and must be reauthorized by Congress every few years. (The act expires in 2014.)

Like presidents before him, Obama issued an order updating the resources covered under that act, which allows presidents to delegate authority to various federal departments and agencies. For example, Obama’s order authorizes the secretaries of Defense and the Interior “to encourage the exploration, development, and mining of strategic and critical materials and other materials.”

President Bill Clinton issued a similar executive order in 1994. Some people misunderstood that order as well, prompting the Congressional Research Service to write that Clinton’s order “has nothing whatever to do with declarations of martial law. It has no effect at all on continued powers of Congress or the federal courts during periods of war or other national emergencies.”

Granger removed the newsletter from her website. And she took back almost all of her claims in an April 30 newsletter “clarifying” her position.

Granger: It is incorrect to say, as I did in my March 30th letter, that this level of power is totally unprecedented … President Obama’s Executive Order appears to continue the trend of modifying previous Executive Orders on emergency preparedness and national defense resources preparedness. There are only a few changes President Obama incorporated – such as changes to the definitions of resources covered by the law – that have been included in his order.

Obama’s use of executive power is not unprecedented compared with previous presidents, however. George W. Bush signed several controversial “signing statements” that claimed he had the power to disregard certain provisions of a law, a presidential action that historians trace back to James Monroe.

Norman J. Ornstein of the American Enterprise Institute wrote to us in an email that Obama “does not hesitate to use executive authority, but he is well within the mainstream of his modern predecessors.”

http://hotair.com/archives/2012/03/18/national-defense-resources-preparedness-executive-order-power-grab-or-update/

...the general impact of it is negligible.  This EO simply updates another EO (12919) that had been in place since June 1994, and amended several times since.

The original EO dealing with national defense resources preparedness was issued in 1939 (EO 8248) according to the National Archives.  It has been superseded a number of times, starting in 1951 by nearly every President through Bill Clinton, and amended twice by George W. Bush.

Quoting pinkcoffeecup:

I think Ryan got it.  Even though the liberals think they won.  Biden was rude.  He was like the crazy uncle who shows up at Christmas.   He says Christian Conservatives I assume of all denominations are out of touch. That has to do with not supporting abortion.  Not supporting the mandate that insurance offered by employers who work at Christian well mainly Catholic organizations must offer birth control, sterilization etc. on those insurance policies.   I don't support Biden or Obama.  The below is big reason to not vote for Obama.

More reason to not vote for Obama.

Did you know that according to one Executive Order, abortion cannot be covered by government funds? So that means all the women who are pro choice won't get the government to pay for their abortion on Obama Care.

He also signed one Executive Order giving permission to take over everything--down to our cars, bank accounts, houses, energy, water even in ditches--absolutely EVERYTHING!!!!

That is obama's plan and it absolutely scares the hell out of me.

Amyirene74
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:46 AM

I think Ryan did but they both did well. The one thing that bothered me was all of the laughing and grinning that Biden did. Especially when they were talking about important issues. He was laughing but I didn't think any of it was funny. 

LancesMom
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:47 PM

I agree and also hope the President comes out stronger than last time.

fliptopz4
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Quoting mom_to_travis:

I watched, and I really enjoyed it.  Biden was the clear winner.  He has the experience, he has the knowledge, and he really enjoys debating.  Ryan kept his cool but he dodged to many questions and failed yet again to fill in the blanks with any details and specifics.

I think the reason romney/ryan don't give specifics about their plans is that they either don't know them, or they know that the American people aren't going to like the answers one bit!

I thought the moderator was okay.  Certainly better than Jim Lehrer!

“@dannysullivan Ryan: my faith guides everything. Biden: my faith is strong enough I don't have to impose it on those of other faiths.”

I love that.  My religion is not the same as ryan's.  Why should his relgious beliefs dictate my life?

Well we have been living with Obama and Bidens plan and at this point America is willing to try anything.

Shoota
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Umm...are you reading what links you are posting, or are you just googling, cut and paste? This article is from 2009, and it is about a bill drafted by Harry Reid, and it states that both sides, left and right,  are making assumptions that may not be true. You really are proving you have no idea what you are talking about....

Quoting mom2twinboyz:

http://www.politico.com/livepulse/1209/Conrad_CBO_not_accurate_on_health_care_bill.html

Why dont you take this link and shove it up your ass too!

Quoting mom2twinboyz:

And I provided my facts about the taxes facing Obamacare and the bankrupting of medicare. If you don't like my source you can shove it up your ass!

Quoting annelauer:

No, that is what was said according to you.  This really is becoming futile.  I have rebutted each thing you have said point by point using FACTS and EVIDENCE.  You have not.  If you memory is not serving you, please go back and read all previous posts.  You have never refuted any of the evidence I provided.  You just have been sharing your feelings.  Generally, they have had little if anything to do with what I have written.  I have humored you by responding.  I have hoped that you would look at reasons and facts.  Truly, point by point, sentence by sentence, paragraph by paragraph, I have rebutted your statements.  Each one incorrect.  It would be lengthy to do so again.  Feel free to check out the fact checking organizations as I mentioned.  Feel free to check out the links to the CBO and others that I provided for you.  I have proven you wrong every step of the way one sentence at a time.  I never said you were wrong because I don't agree with you.  You said that.  Nice try with the deflection.  You have not given a single intellectual, factual or proven answer.  I feel sorry for the fact that your feelings are hurt.  (As apparently you are since your responses are completely emotional and each of your posts are void of any logical or rational thought.)  I am done with your ignorant idiocy though.  If you can come up with a well-thought out argument, some facts and a logical conclusion, I would love to chat with you again sometime.  In the meantime, I have no interest wasting my time with someone who is denying the history of the entirety of this conversation.  What is the point of talking with you if you either can't remember (and refuse to look back at) the previous posts, or are denying their existence because they make you uncomfortable (or whatever your reasoning may be)?  I'm always up for opening my mind to new ideas.  Bring your A game if you'd like to convince people of something though, because a political post is not the place to share feelings and disregard for facts.  

Quoting mom2twinboyz:

Yes I have been reading the posts. You didn't tell me how I am wrong. According to you I am wrong because I don't agree with you.

Quoting annelauer:

I have been as we were going along.  Are you answering posts without reading them? 

Quoting mom2twinboyz:

Quoting annelauer:

Alrighty then please tell me what specifically I have said has proven to be untrue.

Shoota
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Not this american! Im not following blindly. I want to know what the plan is! Its the republican party that got us into this mess in the first place!

Quoting fliptopz4:

Quoting mom_to_travis:

I watched, and I really enjoyed it.  Biden was the clear winner.  He has the experience, he has the knowledge, and he really enjoys debating.  Ryan kept his cool but he dodged to many questions and failed yet again to fill in the blanks with any details and specifics.

I think the reason romney/ryan don't give specifics about their plans is that they either don't know them, or they know that the American people aren't going to like the answers one bit!

“@dannysullivan Ryan: my faith guides everything. Biden: my faith is strong enough I don't have to impose it on those of other faiths.”

I love that.  My religion is not the same as ryan's.  Why should his relgious beliefs dictate my life?

Well we have been living with Obama and Bidens plan and at this point America is willing to try anything.

fliptopz4
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Quoting Shoota:

Not this american! Im not following blindly. I want to know what the plan is! Its the republican party that got us into this mess in the first place!

Quoting fliptopz4:

Quoting mom_to_travis:

It was'nt just the Republicans the Democrats had a huge roll in all of this too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)