Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Florida Moms Florida Moms

Presidential Debate #2

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 12 Replies

Here we go again...

There were over 100 responses to the Vice Presidential debate post. I thank you very much for your comments. Hopefully we can also have  a lot of ( polite please:) ) talk about the Presidential debate last night.

I won’t rehash what they each said. We all have access to it and can watch if we want. What I will talk about is how I personally related to some of the issues.

I worked for a corporation as a graphic designer for 10 years and then was laid off in 2008. I had a hard time finding a job and I had to go on Medicaid and food stamps for a little while I went back to school and worked part time.

I didn't like having to do that. But I was very thankful that those social services were in place when I needed them. And though I was part of “the 47%” during that time, I didn’t consider myself a victim or helpless or entitled. I was just someone who temporarily needed help. I don’t think that people in that situation should be dismissed as “takers” by the man who wants to be the leader of our country.

Also, as a college student I utilized Planned Parenthood for my gynecological check-ups and birth control. It was an affordable way to be responsible about those matters. I could never be for someone who wants to get rid of such a useful institution as Planned Parenthood.

This is just my experience in relation to some of the issues. I know everyone’s experience is different. I would love to hear how you relate to the issues. How have (or will) either of the candidates plans, policies, or opinions personally affect you?

©iStockphoto.com/Geoffrey Holman

by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Oct. 17, 2012 at 12:21 AM
2 moms liked this
Always enjoy your posts Steph. Always thoughtful and well written. ;-)
I understand where you are coming from. However, I consider those to be social issues that only affect a certain percentage of people during certain times. You are the kind of person these programs were designed for. No issue in paying into them for people like you. Those are just not on the top of my list when voting. I am never going to like every candidates positions.

With that said. I think the liberal media will call it a win, Romney camp will call it a win, but most of us can admit it was a draw. Obama showed up this time. good for him. Romney was the same person he was in the first debate. I think he explained things better this time. I have to give major kuddos to the moderator. I think she did an excellent job!! I am excited for the last debate, and interested to see what the polls say in the coming days. My vote has long been decided, it's the undecided I am interested in.
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Oct. 17, 2012 at 6:33 AM
1 mom liked this

They won't. I never beleive anything either candidate says anyway

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Oct. 17, 2012 at 6:37 AM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stephwest1
by Member on Oct. 17, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Thank you Destiny. I always enjoy your replies, too.

I also agree with your assessment of the debate. The moderator was great and a little bit funny. I liked when she said she'd be "run out of town" if they didn't get to all of the questions. :)

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Always enjoy your posts Steph. Always thoughtful and well written. ;-)
I understand where you are coming from. However, I consider those to be social issues that only affect a certain percentage of people during certain times. You are the kind of person these programs were designed for. No issue in paying into them for people like you. Those are just not on the top of my list when voting. I am never going to like every candidates positions.

With that said. I think the liberal media will call it a win, Romney camp will call it a win, but most of us can admit it was a draw. Obama showed up this time. good for him. Romney was the same person he was in the first debate. I think he explained things better this time. I have to give major kuddos to the moderator. I think she did an excellent job!! I am excited for the last debate, and interested to see what the polls say in the coming days. My vote has long been decided, it's the undecided I am interested in.

lukee
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2012 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this

moderator did well and she was correct --past two have been beat up big time. I could not say either came across well enough to be declared a winner-- 

WendyJR
by Wendy on Oct. 17, 2012 at 11:52 AM
3 moms liked this

I'm just kinda worn out with both candidates not actually answering questions. They make pretty speeches and talk around a subject. But i know a lot of people and myself included just want some straight answers. Also so very tired of the mud slinging. Don't tell me what your opponent did or didn't do tell me what YOU are going to do. The negativity in campaigning is really puts me off.

godotherightthi
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Romney's plan to not tax savings, dividends, etc. on the middle class would be a huge relief for our family.  I also thought he made a good point on the balanced budget issue...he does have a record on that topic as well.

I also liked Romney's energy plan.  Energy prices is a huge issue for the middle class.

stephwest1
by Member on Oct. 17, 2012 at 12:30 PM

I did like that idea about not taxing savings, dividends, etc. That was actually the first I had heard about that. 

Quoting godotherightthi:

Romney's plan to not tax savings, dividends, etc. on the middle class would be a huge relief for our family.  I also thought he made a good point on the balanced budget issue...he does have a record on that topic as well.

I also liked Romney's energy plan.  Energy prices is a huge issue for the middle class.

Fairegirl33
by Melissa on Oct. 17, 2012 at 1:43 PM
I watched about 15 min of the debate and to be honest with you ladies I am so damn sick of the bickering between these 2.

I am done with the whole thing, I am so ready for the election to be over.

I hate feeling that way.... Especially knowing I have my ballot on my coffee table still waiting for me to complete and I have no clue who I am voting for :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GOBryan
by Bronze Member on Oct. 17, 2012 at 7:14 PM

I think Romney appeared more nervous and flustered at times. The lady that asked Romney about equal pay for women said she was disappointed with Romney's answer because she felt he's used to being in charge and failed to answer the question. Romney did appear to make more mistakes than Obama this time. Obama seemed more in his element this time. Also, he did well in responding to some of Romney's allegations especially about gas prices dropping and then hiking up. Obama looked people in the eye and answered in a more straight forward manner. He was certainly better than Romney.  At the end, the debate kind of became a bit blase'.  If there's a winner, I do believe it would be Obama this time. Romney did better in the last debate though. 

My husband did say that he'd be ok with either of the two for different reasons and on different topics. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)