Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Florida Moms Florida Moms

no more bottles advice/encouragement??

Posted by   + Show Post

yesterday was my dd's 1st birthday! so for a couple months now my dh & i made the decision the day after her birthday, no more bottles/formula. she only took about 3-4 bottles a day & we had reduced the amount in them. today i have stuck to my guns! i packed up the bottles, threw away the nipples (so dh can't cave.... i swear he's a wuss sometimes! lol) & it hasn't bothered her too much. she got a little fussy at snack time, when she normally had a bottle of formula, so i distracted her w/ her favorite treats, a graham cracker & those yogurt drops w/ the fruit & veggie blend. that worked but she fought me @ nap time bc she hadn't had her bottle, i knew she wasn't hungry, so i'm guessing it's a comfort thing? also, she isn't thrilled w/ the milk (lactaid whole milk, she has a lactose sensitivity) in a sippy, she's drinking it ok out of a regular cup (her size munchkin brand) though. but if she wakes up during the night i have no idea what i'm going to do,lol. any tips, ideas or encouragment would be greatly appreciated!!!! thanks ladies!!!!

by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 2:06 PM
Replies (11-20):
BRQ07
by Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 9:36 AM

we never put her down w/ a bottle, we thought the same way :)we would only hold her w/ the bottle but she would wake up @ night & we'd give her a bottle while holding her & she'd go to sleep after.... i guess it kind of relaxed her. i drink almond breeze as well :) i will probably put dd on it after a little bit, just want to make sure she doesn't have a nut allergy ;)

Quoting LadyBast:

Good luck on this one no tips we did not let our daughter have a bottle at any time when she slept we did not want to start something and take it away.. We do not drink milk here we drink Almond Breeze no lactaid or soy and it is great and I HATE milk but this is really good and nope does not taste like almonds :)

BRQ07
by Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 9:42 AM

**UPDATE!** last night i was dreading.... she did really good all day until she was asleep & woke up expecting a bottle. she wouldn't take either sippy i offered (milk or water). she fought being rocked or comforted at first but after about 20 minutes of her crying in her crib (let me just say i am NOT a fan of cry it out, but this was a mega-tantrum) she decided being comforted by me was better than throwing a fit in her crib & calmed down & called for me, so i rocked her for a bit & then she pointed at her crib so i put her in there & she cried off & on for about 30 minutes & she was OUT! FOR THE WHOLE NIGHT!!!! i'm SOOOOOOO proud of her!!!! hopefully tonight will go a little smoother :) thanks for all the advice!

IsaiahsMommy622
by Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

We stopped bottle with my daughter at 9 months. My pedi said no more milk before bed since she was mostly eating table food by then. Also you don't want the kid getting milk rot. He also said if she acted hungry, which she shouldn't be if she was eating meals properly, to give her a few sips of water. She hated that and would just go to bed. He said just go in there and rub her belly, tell her you love her and leave. Do not cave and do not pick her up. If she still cries wait 5 minutes and go back in. This also works with taking away the pacifier. I think its more of a comfort thing. But stick to your guns and don't cave, the longer you do it the more she will get used to it and it will be a normal thing. You have to just take them away and give her sippys. We got the transition sippys that had the rubber spout on them and the handles for her to hold. Good luck

BRQ07
by Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 4:05 PM

thank goodness she never took a pacifier!!!! i'm pretty proud of myself but boy am i glad i threw the nipples away bc i would've been sorely tempted to cave last night! i thought she'd be mad at me this morning but she woke up happy as ever (probably bc she slept all night) & ready for breakfast, which while on bottles she really wasn't into breakfast :)

Quoting IsaiahsMommy622:

We stopped bottle with my daughter at 9 months. My pedi said no more milk before bed since she was mostly eating table food by then. Also you don't want the kid getting milk rot. He also said if she acted hungry, which she shouldn't be if she was eating meals properly, to give her a few sips of water. She hated that and would just go to bed. He said just go in there and rub her belly, tell her you love her and leave. Do not cave and do not pick her up. If she still cries wait 5 minutes and go back in. This also works with taking away the pacifier. I think its more of a comfort thing. But stick to your guns and don't cave, the longer you do it the more she will get used to it and it will be a normal thing. You have to just take them away and give her sippys. We got the transition sippys that had the rubber spout on them and the handles for her to hold. Good luck

crystal-boyd
by Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Congrats on getting threw ur first night! our problem was binkys . After a hr of crying hubby gets up and left . I thought he needed a break from the screaming but no he comes back with a Walmartbag grabs her n gives her a pack of binks. Lol . I was pissed then but now i can laugh about it. Just keep with it and dont give in like i did. And coffee is always a friend when weaning kids from anything. Good luck!
strictmomhere
by Nan on Oct. 18, 2012 at 6:45 PM
Wow thats great:) WTG

Quoting BRQ07:

**UPDATE!** last night i was dreading.... she did really good all day until she was asleep & woke up expecting a bottle. she wouldn't take either sippy i offered (milk or water). she fought being rocked or comforted at first but after about 20 minutes of her crying in her crib (let me just say i am NOT a fan of cry it out, but this was a mega-tantrum) she decided being comforted by me was better than throwing a fit in her crib & calmed down & called for me, so i rocked her for a bit & then she pointed at her crib so i put her in there & she cried off & on for about 30 minutes & she was OUT! FOR THE WHOLE NIGHT!!!! i'm SOOOOOOO proud of her!!!! hopefully tonight will go a little smoother :) thanks for all the advice!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BRQ07
by Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 8:24 PM

yup, coffee is my friend ;)

Quoting crystal-boyd:

Congrats on getting threw ur first night! our problem was binkys . After a hr of crying hubby gets up and left . I thought he needed a break from the screaming but no he comes back with a Walmartbag grabs her n gives her a pack of binks. Lol . I was pissed then but now i can laugh about it. Just keep with it and dont give in like i did. And coffee is always a friend when weaning kids from anything. Good luck!

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Oct. 18, 2012 at 8:28 PM
I'm no help as DD never did the bottle thing. She was using sippy cups from 3 months on.

The almond milk is wonderful and DD, who has lactose issues does great!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mamamedic69
by Deanna on Oct. 18, 2012 at 8:30 PM
Whoo-hoo!!'

Quoting BRQ07:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KylesMom409
by Linnette on Oct. 18, 2012 at 8:41 PM
This. And happy bday to her! :)

Quoting WendyJR:

Good Luck! It won't take her long to get used to the sippy. :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)