Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Florida Moms Florida Moms

no more bottles advice/encouragement??

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 2:06 PM
  • 20 Replies

yesterday was my dd's 1st birthday! so for a couple months now my dh & i made the decision the day after her birthday, no more bottles/formula. she only took about 3-4 bottles a day & we had reduced the amount in them. today i have stuck to my guns! i packed up the bottles, threw away the nipples (so dh can't cave.... i swear he's a wuss sometimes! lol) & it hasn't bothered her too much. she got a little fussy at snack time, when she normally had a bottle of formula, so i distracted her w/ her favorite treats, a graham cracker & those yogurt drops w/ the fruit & veggie blend. that worked but she fought me @ nap time bc she hadn't had her bottle, i knew she wasn't hungry, so i'm guessing it's a comfort thing? also, she isn't thrilled w/ the milk (lactaid whole milk, she has a lactose sensitivity) in a sippy, she's drinking it ok out of a regular cup (her size munchkin brand) though. but if she wakes up during the night i have no idea what i'm going to do,lol. any tips, ideas or encouragment would be greatly appreciated!!!! thanks ladies!!!!

by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WendyJR
by Wendy on Oct. 17, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Good Luck! It won't take her long to get used to the sippy. :)

Shaybay218
by Shayla on Oct. 17, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Sippy cup...

godotherightthi
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Just try to keep the milk the same temperature as in the bottle.  My kids always had warm bottles, so they liked their sippy milk warm.

strictmomhere
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 6:47 PM
Im no help i didnt take the bottle till age 2 hope she adjust
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bebe_ju-rah
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 6:52 PM
For night time I only left a sippy cup of water next to dd's crib so I could give her that if she woke up for a drink. She rarely did though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadyBast
by Brenda on Oct. 17, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Good luck on this one no tips we did not let our daughter have a bottle at any time when she slept we did not want to start something and take it away.. We do not drink milk here we drink Almond Breeze no lactaid or soy and it is great and I HATE milk but this is really good and nope does not taste like almonds :)

LilMamaK
by Bronze Member on Oct. 17, 2012 at 8:11 PM
When i did this with my dd i got her sippys that had soft nipples that felt like her bottle nipples. It helps with the transition sooo much!!! I started the sippy at 9 1/2 months old and by 10mon she was fine with sippys. After a year old i got her started with the harder spouts on sippys. Just take your time and know that she wont let her self go thirsty!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 12:23 AM

well for me, i didnt like the idea of cold turkey transitioniong, so what i did was each week I would trade off one bottle for one soft-tipped sippy cup (I like Gerber brand) and I never had any issue with them not taking the sippy after the full transition.  I also did the same thing as far as transitioniong from breastmilk to whole milk by adding one ounce per week until she was fully transitioned to 8 ounces of whole milk.  Again, never had any issue with it even after I started adding liquid vitamins to the milk (I like Poly-Visol with iron).

LOL My hubby was the same way too!  It has always been harder for me to transition him than to transition them!  My daughter is 29 months and I literally have to put the highchair in the garage before he will stop using it and let her just eat at the table!

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Oct. 18, 2012 at 7:23 AM

I had the opposite problem. We never had any issues with bottles. Weaning off the sippy was the big issue for my son. You sound like your doing great. Just stay strong. She might have a few bad nights but she will start to get used to the change and it will become easier!

lukee
by Silver Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Quoting LadyBast:

Good luck on this one no tips we did not let our daughter have a bottle at any time when she slept we did not want to start something and take it away.. We do not drink milk here we drink Almond Breeze no lactaid or soy and it is great and I HATE milk but this is really good and nope does not taste like almonds :)

Milk does not like me very well and I found Almond Breeze a great alternative. Publix has had several BOGO for it recently.

Good luck with the transition, it will go more quickly than you may think now

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)